Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

23 minutes ago, Tavo89 said:

Hi @Alpenwolf, I could see the AV-8BNA in the Two Towns briefing, could you include this bird in some Caucasus mission?.
You can remove armament and other things with the idea of representing the 1983 AV-8B, (Aim-9M 1982).

As a point of reference the Mig-29A entered service in 1982-1983, the AV-8B in 1983 and the AV-8BNA in 1987.

Harrier's systems are too good and it would make no sense for an attacker to have by far the best IR missiles on the server

For example this is the configuration I usually use in the A-10A, 4x Aim-9 and 6x Maverick D.

A-10A.png

And this is the configuration of the AV-8B, 2x AIM-9 and 4x Maverick F. 

AV-8B.png

It is true the AV-8BNA systems are very advanced, but its capabilities can be greatly diminished by removing some of the armament, PODS etc, its effect on the mission would be limited.

As for the Aim-9M it is a very good missile, but you can limit the number of missiles you can carry to only two, Alpen knows how to do that. You also have to take into account the enemy fighters, not much an AV-8B can do against a Mig-29, a Mirage F1 or a Mig-21Bis flown by a good pilot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tavo89 said:

For example this is the configuration I usually use in the A-10A, 4x Aim-9 and 6x Maverick D.

A-10A.png

AV-8B.png

It is true the AV-8BNA systems are very advanced, but its capabilities can be greatly diminished by removing some of the armament, PODS etc, its effect on the mission would be limited.

As for the Aim-9M it is a very good missile, but you can limit the number of missiles you can carry to only two, Alpen knows how to do that. You also have to take into account the enemy fighters, not much an AV-8B can do against a Mig-29, a Mirage F1 or a Mig-21Bis flown by a good pilot.

A-10A is not in the same league as the harrier. harrier is way faster, way better missiles, and way better systems. Ask anyone on the server what they would rather have, 4 AIM-9P or 2 AIM-9M. harrier is cool but its just too good, we tried it when it was worse like I said, and it was still too good.

• Like 1

The Harrier served its time on the server back when we had a notable lack of modules. Same goes for the A-10C in the first year of hosting and later the M-2000C.
Limited Editions as I call them are a different story, where modules regardless of their years of service are featured. Check here.

A-10's are restricted to 2 x AIM-9's in some missions and I'll do that in all missions. The issue is, I'm mostly focusing on other more pressing matters and keep on forgetting adding the restriction of 2 x AIM-9's when updating missions in the mission editor, so that's on me alone.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

9 hours ago, Tavo89 said:

A-10A.png

AV-8B.png

Thing is, aside from the sidewinder situation, after its first exclusion it will be even less likely to see its comeback due to the implementation of hot spot detector function from NAVFLIR. The NAVFLIR was not fitted in gulf war let alone cold-er war, and cannot be disabled in the game.

Take Two Town as example, those chevrons alone offer way too much tactical advantage in the games of Where's Waldo.image.png

Edited by Giskvoosk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sthompson said:

I'd like to try this server. The number one post has a list of missions, but no info about most of them. I recall looking at the top of the thread at one time in the past and finding descriptions of the missions. But now I can't find that. Is there a central place to get info about the missions and other server info. (In addition to the main post at the start of this thread, of course.)

Throughout the years I lost track of all the missions' briefings that are buried in this thread. Never thought I'd design that many. I'm working on updating the briefings (already halfway through) and when ready, users should be able to just click on any mission's name and that will take them to the briefing instantly.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

The Harrier served its time on the server back when we had a notable lack of modules. Same goes for the A-10C in the first year of hosting and later the M-2000C.
Limited Editions as I call them are a different story, where modules regardless of their years of service are featured. Check here.

A-10's are restricted to 2 x AIM-9's in some missions and I'll do that in all missions. The issue is, I'm mostly focusing on other more pressing matters and keep on forgetting adding the restriction of 2 x AIM-9's when updating missions in the mission editor, so that's on me alone.

Ok Alpen, It's a shame not to have a Harrier on the server, an iconic plane from the cold war.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tavo89 said:

Ok Alpen, It's a shame not to have a Harrier on the server, an iconic plane from the cold war.

Lots and lots of CW modules on the way, mate. Don't worry about it 😉

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hi @Alpenwolf ! I often fly the Viggen and have noticed that it almost always does not have a landing airfield assigned. Last waypoint. You always have to enter manually to get back home or ask the GCI for a vector. Is there a landing airfield waypoint assigned in his route in the mission or is it some kind of bug?
I also want to ask if the restriction of air-to-air missiles in the Viggen is also for balance? It can carry aim-9's on all pylons, but sometimes I can't combine mavericks and 4х aim9 for example. This aircraft does not have a cannon and must carry two pods. Therefore, sometimes it is not possible to defend against fighters after attacking ground targets or help someone. Thanks!

Server News:

Operation One Night in Arabia kicks off this Friday, 02.09.2022, around 1830 zulu.
Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed kicks off this Saturday, 03.09.2022, around 1800 zulu.
Operation Clash of Eras kicks off this Sunday, 04.09.2022, around 1800 zulu.

Notes:
- Once Kish Intl in One Night in Arabia is captured, airplanes and helicopters can use the airbase to quickly rearm and refuel instead of flying back to home base.
- Added F1's to Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed.
- Clash of Eras ran three times so far. Red won it twice and one time it was a draw. Blue is yet to win it.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

14 minutes ago, Graphene said:

Hi @Alpenwolf ! I often fly the Viggen and have noticed that it almost always does not have a landing airfield assigned. Last waypoint. You always have to enter manually to get back home or ask the GCI for a vector. Is there a landing airfield waypoint assigned in his route in the mission or is it some kind of bug?
I also want to ask if the restriction of air-to-air missiles in the Viggen is also for balance? It can carry aim-9's on all pylons, but sometimes I can't combine mavericks and 4х aim9 for example. This aircraft does not have a cannon and must carry two pods. Therefore, sometimes it is not possible to defend against fighters after attacking ground targets or help someone. Thanks!

In some missions there are waypoints for the home base, but from what I understand Viggens don't really need that, as I'm told by some Viggen players.
The weapons' restrictions is an attempt to simulate the AJ37 rather than having the more advanced AJS37.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

9 minutes ago, Giskvoosk said:

Viggen pilots can reference the kneeboard for the preloaded waypoints of airfields, farp's and roadbases.

Yes, it is known. But if the cartridge is prepared correctly, then after the task, I simply press one button and fly straight home without unnecessary manipulation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Lots and lots of CW modules on the way, mate. Don't worry about it 😉

I know, I am even collaborating in a module that you will like a lot and that fits in the cold war. 😎

My idea was to represent the 1983 AV-8B, but I think it is not possible because of different aspects of the AV-8BNA. I will continue to enjoy the A-10A.

• Like 2

Server News:

A new feature has been added to the server: Mines Laying!

For the purpose of mine laying, the two trainer jets have been chosen for the task. The L-39 is for Red and the C-101 is for Blue.
All you have to do is load a few practice bombs; Type P-50T for L-39's. Type BDU-33 for C-101's.
Note that L-39's are able to carry up to 4 practice bombs while C-101's can carry up to 8. Therefore, 1 x P-50T practice bomb carried by L-39's lays 2 mines while 1 x BDU-33 carried by C-101's lays 1 mine, enabling each aircraft to lay up to 8 mines in one run.

Once mines are laid they are not seen on the F10 map by either coalition. However, they are marked on the F10 map for friendlies to see.
Normally, 1 mine is enough to destroy an APC or a truck, but it could require 2 mines for a tank.

Special thanks to Apok for the script and rossmum for the demonstration video:

• Like 5

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 8/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, Graphene said:

Yes, it is known. But if the cartridge is prepared correctly, then after the task, I simply press one button and fly straight home without unnecessary manipulation.

I always make my own cartridge and flight profile when I fly Viggen. Its so awesome you can do it on the fly

8 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

I always make my own cartridge and flight profile when I fly Viggen. Its so awesome you can do it on the fly

Hello @The_Tau ! It's nice to see you piloting a Viggen or a Mirage at Cold War server! Yes, the Viggen was a very advanced aircraft for its time. Maybe they'll make a fighter version someday. Moreover, a Finnish map with a relief similar to Sweden may soon appear.

2 hours ago, Tavo89 said:

Heatblur people already thought about JA-37, but it seems that there are still a lot of documents and classified information.

I can't use external fuel tanks on the Mirage F1, is it a bug?.

They're not at all airbases. Airbases close to the front line rarely have fuel tanks.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

56 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

They're not at all airbases. Airbases close to the front line rarely have fuel tanks.

It depends on the mission you are going to execute and the time you have to execute it. 
A forward base without external tanks is limited in the type of missions it can execute, especially if your aircraft do not have in-flight refueling.

But I guess you've done it that way because you only need to hit close targets. I'll try to save fuel.

Greetings my friend.

Edited by Tavo89
  • Thanks 1

Server News:

Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed kicks off this Saturday, 10.09.2022, around 1800 zulu.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Two things. First, I'm trying to figure out how to join the server. I often am online late evenings North America East Coast time, and typically see no one else on the server. I figured that gives me a good chance of figuring things out without bothering anyone. When I tried last night to join the Two Towns mission, I was still waiting for my A-10A to spawn 15 minutes after pushing "FLY" from the briefing. Is that normal? While waiting a message from the server appeared that it would roll over in two hours, so apparently things were not entirely frozen. Eventually I gave up and rebooted DCS to try something else. My ping was reasonable at about 100. Second, in response to a recent inquiry I was told to look at the Discord to find info about the missions. That channel seems to have disappeared from the Discord site, however, and I'm having trouble finding mission info in this thread. A search for "Two Towns" turns up lots of references to the mission, but I didn't find a mission description.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

43 minutes ago, sthompson said:

Two things. First, I'm trying to figure out how to join the server. I often am online late evenings North America East Coast time, and typically see no one else on the server. I figured that gives me a good chance of figuring things out without bothering anyone. When I tried last night to join the Two Towns mission, I was still waiting for my A-10A to spawn 15 minutes after pushing "FLY" from the briefing. Is that normal? While waiting a message from the server appeared that it would roll over in two hours, so apparently things were not entirely frozen. Eventually I gave up and rebooted DCS to try something else. My ping was reasonable at about 100. Second, in response to a recent inquiry I was told to look at the Discord to find info about the missions. That channel seems to have disappeared from the Discord site, however, and I'm having trouble finding mission info in this thread. A search for "Two Towns" turns up lots of references to the mission, but I didn't find a mission description.

Lots of players from the States, so really not sure why your game was stuck like that. Must be something on your end, especially, when it took you 15 minutes to spawn in the A-10.
 That's weird.

The server is mostly populated between the evening/night hours in Europe. That's 1700 zulu - 2300 zulu. It's always been like that throughout the years with exceptional periods of times here and there.

Once you enter Discord, you'll have to provide your in-game username before you get access to other channels and be able to view relevant information. Just type your in-game username in the welcome channel, the only channel you're able to view upon joining.

Hope this helps you out a bit, and welcome aboard!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Operation: Battle of Al Sijeel

* The mission will go online every once a while as an event.
* Signups are mandatory.
* Stay tuned for the event's date and time, please.

Mission Date and Time: 21.04.1985 - 06:00 am
Mission duration: 1 hours and 45 minutes

Red (Iraq) Airbases: Sanliurfa
Blue (Iran) Airbases: Jirah, Tabqa and Deir ez-Zor

Red (Iraq) seeks to drop nuke bombs at the chemical factory of Kharab Ishk and at a small forward airbase, Tal Siman, Blue (Iran) uses to launch reconnaissance aircraft from.

- Red (Iraq) wins if the 2 nuke bombs are delivered at the TA's.
- A total of 3 nuke bombs available at Sanliurfa Airbase.
- Only 1 x MiG-21 is capable of dropping nuke bombs.
- Only Red players will know which MiG-21 that is once the mission goes online.
- The given time for the completion of the mission is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- All aircraft and weapons are very limited in numbers, so listen to your GCI.

- Blue (Iran) seeks to shoot down MiG-21's mainly.
- If all MiG-21's are shot down and the bombing has failed, Blue (Iran) claims a dominating victory.
- Blue (Iran) must make sure CAP aircraft are always available.
- Ideally, Blue (Iran) fighters shouldn't all take off at the same time to have CAP constantly available.
- All aircraft and weapons are very limited in numbers, so listen to your GCI.

General Notes / Restrictions:
- SAM Sites and AAA's only. IR SAM's are not available.
- MiG-21's are restricted to 4 x R-60's. 6 x R-60's are disabled.
- AIM-54A-Mk47's available on the outer pylons only. A maximum of 2 x Phoenixes can be carried.
- Phoenix missiles are only available at Deir ez-Zor Airbase, F-14's home base.
- AIM-7's and AIM-9L's are available at both Jirah and Tabqa Airbases, but very limited.
- Attacking everything that is enemy is allowed, however, it's not the objective.
- Attacking SAM sites should be considered by both sides.

Red Objectives:

- Drop 1 nuke bomb at Kharab Ishk and 1 at Tal Siman.
- Make sure you do so in less that 1 hour and 45 minutes.

GCI / EWR: 124 MHz - Channel 0 for MiG-21's - Channel 1 for F1's.

Blue Objectives:

- Shoot down enemy MiG-21's.
- Provide CAP around Kharab Ishk and Tal Siman.
- Be patient and don't always go for the kill. Remember! We need constant CAP around the TA's.

GCI / EWR: 251 MHz - Channel 1 for F-14's and F-5's.

Untitled.jpg

Kharab Ishk.jpg

Tal Siman.jpg

Available Aircraft / Weapons:

Red (Iraq):

6 x MiG-29A's (2 x slots):
32 x R-27R's and 40 x R-60M's.
14 x 1400L fuel tanks
  4 x 1150L fuel tanks

20 x MiG-21's (6 x slots):
46 x R-3R's, 64 x R-60's and 20 x R-3S'
  3 x nuke bombs
32 x 800L fuel tanks, 12 x 490L fuel tanks (central) and 10 x 490L fuel tanks (wings)
A few rocket pods and bombs for eventual attacks on SAM sites.

12 x F1's (4 x slots):
36 x 530F EM's, 40 x AIM-9P's and 16 x 530F IR's
22 x 1200L fuel tanks
A few rocket pods and unguided bombs for eventual attacks on SAM sites.

Blue (Iran):

Deir ez-Zor Airbase (F-14A's home base):
8 x F-14A's (4 x slots)
24 x AIM-54A-Mk47's, 60 x AIM-7F's and 52 x AIM-9L's
42 x 300 gal fuel tanks

The Following Applies to Each Jirah and Tabqa Airbases:
16 x F-5's (4 x slots)
42 x AIM-9P's and 12 x AIM-9B's
24 x 275Gal fuel tanks and 44 x 150Gal fuel tanks
A few rocket pods and unguided bombs for eventual attacks on SAM sites.
In addition, 12 x AIM-7F's, 16 x AIM-9L's and 6 x 300 gal fuel tanks for F-14A's.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Lots of players from the States, so really not sure why your game was stuck like that. Must be something on your end, especially, when it took you 15 minutes to spawn in the A-10.
 That's weird.

The server is mostly populated between the evening/night hours in Europe. That's 1700 zulu - 2300 zulu. It's always been like that throughout the years with exceptional periods of times here and there.

Once you enter Discord, you'll have to provide your in-game username before you get access to other channels and be able to view relevant information. Just type your in-game username in the welcome channel, the only channel you're able to view upon joining.

Hope this helps you out a bit, and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the tips. I had registered previously for the Discord server. I can see the other channels (e.g. server new, bug reports) but not the one for mission descriptions. It used to be visible but not lately.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals