Installing skins

RedDog2

No, I did not use the move.  I did just recently get a 1TB SSD and now My C drive has DCSW and Saved games all on the same hard drive.

Thank You very much for informing Me that I needed to do what You said instead of what I was doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 10:42 AM, feefifofum said:

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, ditch the steam installation and you'll do yourself a bunch of favors. 🙂

All your content will be seamlessly ported over to the standalone ED installation, you'll still be able to use modules purchased through Steam, and then you'll have access to updates and early access aircraft much sooner than the Steam community will.

So, twice the sales, nothing lost, more content...you win!

How?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am not sure if it is the proper place to ask about this skin installation question but?!?!

When installing skins via OVGME, some liveries make appears the message : ''files overlap with the already installed mod''.

So afraid of breaking the integrity of the previous skin, i just stop the installation of the last one.

And this happens with same or not same plane.

My 2 questions are:  1) what to change in the lua skin , to not affect the previous skin?

2)If i do install it overlapping the previous skin will this make the previous one unusable?

Sorry for the noob questions but i have no knowledge about skinning lua etc...

Thanks for any help or information.

Edited by tosmonaute

5 hours ago, tosmonaute said:

When installing skins via OVGME, some liveries make appears the message : ''files overlap with the already installed mod''.

My 2 questions are:  1) what to change in the lua skin , to not affect the previous skin?

2)If i do install it overlapping the previous skin will this make the previous one unusable?

It totally depends.  OVGME is a generic mod manager, and it only tells you when it is overwriting a modded file with the same name.  It could well be that the textures are identical (perhaps mod packs from the same author), or they could be different.  FWIW, if they're my skin packs and you installed them using the JSGME method, the shared files with the same names are identical.

That said, I consider it a better practice to install your skins to your Saved Games\DCS folder.  Create a folder called Liveries under Saved Games\DCS, then copy the skins to your new Liveries folder starting with the Liveries\Aircraft filename.  For example, if you're moving a F-14B skin, you would move the 

CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F-14B

folder containing those skins to 

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\F-14B

which includes all the skins in the subfolders of F-14B.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Home Fries for your help!

Well it is the way i did it, all are in Saved games/DCS Open Beta(or DCS)/Liveries/ aircraft folder.

I use also several of your skins (F18, A4 etc)and in the middle of the hundred skins i have, it's difficult to know which are making problem.

If i remove some then the problem may happen with other skins...

BTW it overlap LUA files not textures!

But what i do not understand is why for exemple a F14B skin can make problem with a P47D???

They are different folders and i do not understand how the lua description of a F14 is related to P47?!!!??

As i said i know nothing about programming and lua, so for sure i am wrong in my logic.

Once again thanks for your help

If it's overlapping description.lua files (assuming this is the lua file it's overlapping), then somewhere you have a folder/skin with the same name in two different mods.  description.lua is in every skin folder; this is the file index for the skin itself.

There's no big mystery to the JSGME/OVGME framework.  If you dig down into the mod itself, you will see the nested file structure identical to the structure within the DCS World install.  Or at least it should be identical.  This is where you want to check to see if perhaps one of the folders is missing, misnamed, or nested improperly.  Unfortunately, if you don't know which specific file is being duplicated, there is no easy way to do this.  You just have to look in the file structure in the mod and find the incorrect folder or file placement.

Ok thank you, i will try to find and look in the mods what is going wrong.

But yes gonna be hard because some skins have conflict with several other skins.

So if i understood well, i would just need to rename the files who has the same shared names; then change the name in the lua description to match to the new file name for each  different skin pack?

1 hour ago, tosmonaute said:

So if i understood well, i would just need to rename the files who has the same shared names; then change the name in the lua description to match to the new file name for each  different skin pack?

If the description.lua files are conflicting, those cannot be changed without messing up the skin.  You just need to make sure they're nested in different folders, or if they are the same skin then remove one of them.

For example, if you have a skin "F-14 VF-32 101" and "F-14 VF-32 102", both will have a description.lua file.  However, if the folders both say "F-14 VF-32", you will need to rename one of the folders so the description.lua files are deconflicted (and both skins will show up).

Edited by Home Fries

22 hours ago, tosmonaute said:

Wish you a nice week Home Fries

BTW Any skin in project???

Thanks, and to you as well.

Right now I'm very busy with RL, and after that I have a lot of work on my plate for updating CTS.  Skins are taking a back seat for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 3:14 PM, Rudel_chw said:

For me, the easiest way is to go to your Saved Games\DCS folder and create a folder within called "Liveries".

Underneath that, create folders for each of the aircraft for which you have skins ... these have to match the folder name in the original "aircraft" folder in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft.

For example, for Viggen skins, create a folder named "AJS37" ... like this:

Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\AJS37

For AI aircraft, you have to match the folder name of \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries.

Many skins instruct you to put the skin within the "Program Files" tree, which isnt good because you might lose the skins when you reinstall DCS ... much better to have them within your User tree (on "Saved Games") 🙂

Cheers!

GREAT Help!!!

I also saw a download for a clear FA-18C cockpit. Do you know how to install that?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

8 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

GREAT Help!!!

I also saw a download for a clear FA-18C cockpit. Do you know how to install that?

That is not a Skin, but it is a User Mod, so the above instructions don't apply to it.

Usually User Mods came with install instructions, can you show me the link from where you got that Mod to take a look?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

That is not a Skin, but it is a User Mod, so the above instructions don't apply to it.

Usually User Mods came with install instructions, can you show me the link from where you got that Mod to take a look?

It's this one: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313036/

I got it too work, also installed it in user section (there actually is a type in the instruction in the comments! And now I can select it under the main menu special section, F/A-18C, besides static, I now have this clean cockpit! 🙂

-----

33 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

What is a really easy way to select a new plane skin if I just installed it?

-----

7 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

It's this one: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313036/

I got it too work, also installed it in user section (there actually is a type in the instruction in the comments! And now I can select it under the main menu special section, F/A-18C, besides static, I now have this clean cockpit! 🙂

Correct, this particular Mod is like a skin, but for the aircraft interior, rather than its exterior. It should be placed at Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C\  .. each "cockpit skin" should go into its own sub-folder, like this:

fNBhoYv.jpg

You select which one you want to use on the aircraft's Special Options page:

HGUEbgb.jpg

Keep in mind that the F-18 is still on early access and has a constant stream of modifications, so it is perfectly possible that a Mod of this type that is fairly old, could not work anymore, you have to test it to be sure of its suitability.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

13 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

What is a really easy way to select a new plane skin if I just installed it?

The Rearm and Refuel window is the easiest way:

HQonKbZ.jpg