On speed AOA while landing on a carrier?

Lange_666

Somehow, i can't manage the on speed AOA that i see in a lot of DCS video's while landing on a carrier. They al sit around 132-135 kts, while i have to keep mine around 143 kts (no stores) to keep the E-bracket aligned and to keep the ball in the middle. Landing is then OK but when i go below 139 kts i have the ball drop on me and i always fall short of the edge of the deck (which is correct according to the ball).

I also wonder if the DCS AOA landingspeed that everybody's is using is correct compared to real life because i saw quite some video's of real F/A-18's landing with a speed of 119-120kts, nice AOA with E-bracket right in the middle.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yeah as Falby said, its all about weight. If you are lighter your onspeed will be lower.

So put the VV in the centre of the E bracket and you are golden, you dont need to worry about the actual speed at all.

Side note, using RL videos as a reference is a bit flawed as DCS Hornet flies onspeed a little slower than real world hornets, it actually flies more like superhornet onspeed.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

The whole point of using AoA for a reference is that it makes airspeed irrelevant. When you fly a given approach speed in a civilian aircraft, you're doing so in an effort to fly the correct AoA, so using an AoA indicator directly is just an easier and more accurate way to accomplish it.

I've never understood why we don't use AoA the same way in civilian aviation, though we're finally starting to. Our 737 HUDs have an AoA indexer.

It sounds to me as if it's related to weight. You need to be around 33k lbs or lower. At that weight your airspeed should be around 130-135 knots.

Makes sence, made a quick mission putting me 4nm behind the boat to practise "ball flying". Just selected an airplane without load, didn't look at the fuel quantity at all.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Higher the head wind slower the approach speed.

A headwind will decrease the ground speed sure. But it wont affect true, calibrated, or indicated airspeed at all.

From the frame of reference of an aircraft moving through a steady headwind, there is no difference to it move through still air. So the speed shown in the HUD and the aerodynamic affects of the aircraft will be exactly the same.

The only time a steady wind will affect flight is any time the ground is involved, eg navigation.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

A headwind will decrease the ground speed sure. But it wont affect true, calibrated, or indicated airspeed at all.

From the frame of reference of an aircraft moving through a steady headwind, there is no difference to it move through still air. So the speed shown in the HUD and the aerodynamic affects of the aircraft will be exactly the same.

The only time a steady wind will affect flight is any time the ground is involved, eg navigation.

Thank you. Still learning to fly what I've been working on.

And if the carrier is moving at say 25 knots into a headwind of 25 knots, there's a useful 50 knots knocked off your relative approach speed to make landing much easier..:)

PS- in real life what's the top speed of a carrier while recovering aircraft, 25 knots or more?

And in real life if a plane still has stores on board when returning to the carrier, do pilots jettison them all for a lighter landing? (Sidewinders, bombs, missiles, pods, tanks etc)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Higher the head wind slower the approach speed.

Slower the ground speed. Meaning the approach will take a little longer.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

And if the carrier is moving at say 25 knots into a headwind of 25 knots, there's a useful 50 knots knocked off your relative approach speed to make landing much easier..:)

PS- in real life what's the top speed of a carrier while recovering aircraft, 25 knots or more?

And in real life if a plane still has stores on board when returning to the carrier, do pilots jettison them all for a lighter landing? (Sidewinders, bombs, missiles, pods, tanks etc)

When there is no massive war going on etc. You don't max load up the jet for carrier ops. The f14 would only take up 2 x 54 etc. Not 6 and drop them for landing. For the sim, sure drop them like they would have to if you cannot keep min fuel needed.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It's my understanding that the carrier's speed will account for the headwind to maintain a consitent wind over deck. Faster wind = slower boat.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The wind will not be blowing at 50kts anywhere other than on .the deck. The wind will be 25kts in front of and behind the ship.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

While speed is not the important factor in an approach, I do like to monitor it. I fly in SP and do the included missions and I like to land afterwards if the is an airfield or the boat near by. So I end up at varying weights. I have also inadvertently tried landing w/ half flaps. So checking airspeed is a handy guide.