Looking for help with a strange problem - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Stonehouse

Default Looking for help with a strange problem

I'm not sure if this is a 3d modelling problem or potentially a bug or limitation of DCS. It could also be an issue with the mod lua but at present I don't think this is the case as it seems to work except for one situation.

Markindel and I have created two droppable payloads which are basically identical except for different coloured parachutes and ideally we would like to end up with a couple more the same with additional coloured chutes.

At the moment we testing two payloads we are trying to get working as a proof of concept.

As I understand things (not being a 3d modeller) Markindel has cloned the 3ds max shape of the first payload he created and then remapped the material for the parachute to a different texture in the clone. So you end up with two edm files plus textures such that one has a green parachute and one has a white parachute. I've done the lua and set up each shape as a distinct and different weapon and set up a test bed mod aircraft with 2 pylons and each pylon can take 12 of these payloads and I have allowed it to have either 2 lots of 12 the same (green or white) or a mixed load of 12 green and 12 white.

If I have mission with a single aircraft and I set up both pylons with the same colour chute payload I get 24 payloads dropped and the chutes open with the correct colour. If I change the mission to have a 2nd aircraft and set things up so 1 a/c has 24 green chute payloads and the other a/c has 24 white chute payloads I end up with each aircraft dropping 24 containers with the correct colour parachute. ie 24 white chutes and 24 green chutes in the air.

However, if I set an aircraft to have a mix of 12 white chute and 12 green chute payloads I see both payloads spawn in the bomb bay at the start of the bomb run but when the payloads start to spawn outside the aircraft (bombs away time) I end up with only half of the payloads dropped and that half is all the one colour chutes. I believe the one that works is the first load ie pylon 1. Sort of a first in wins the race situation.
It's like there is an issue stopping the second one spawning outside the a/c.

Note that the aircraft are set up for WW2 carpet bombing, bombs and all to be dropped at one time and when I have two aircraft in the test mission they are in separate formations and are not part of a WW2 big formation. The mod is aimed at a WW2 use which is why we are using the carpet bombing option.

Is it something to do with the same material being mapped to a different texture?

Is it a quirk of the WW2 carpet bombing action in that it does not work for a load out with mixed munitions?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Stonehouse

PS While it isn't exhaustive I have just done a quick test using the standard bombing option, bombs, 1 attack with rel qty all and still get the same result - which makes me think it isn't a carpet bombing action issue.

Last edited by Stonehouse; 08-09-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Stonehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
crazyeddie

Can you confirm that the textures in each of the mods has a different name, ie your not using the same parachute skin name for both versions. ?

You can do this with some of the more recent aircraft skins and that works fine usually, but not always.
crazyeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Stonehouse

I believe that the two payloads are sharing textures other than the parachute which is definitely different and the file name for the parachute is different. As I said I can drop each one from a different aircraft and see the payloads and both green and white chutes but trying to drop a mix from the same aircraft is the problem. Could it be that sharing textures files for the body of the payload is causing the problem?

Last edited by Stonehouse; 08-10-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
crazyeddie

Yes, it might be that, get Mario to change all of the texture references in the edm's so that both versions are completely different and try it again.

Logically I can't think of a reason for this to be happening in one aircraft if the split works fine when you use 2 aircraft, although some weird things do happen with Mods at times.

Can you send me a link to the 2 mods and I will look and see if I can see anything obvious in the edm/textures/lua's.

Last edited by crazyeddie; 08-10-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Default Looking for help with a strange problem

Two payloads could be with diff enum id
Even everything else is identical

Can I take a look at your lua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Last edited by uboats; 08-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
Stonehouse

Sent a PM to you both.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
crazyeddie

Roger Out.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Stonehouse

Follow up PM sent now.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehouse View Post
Is it something to do with the same material being mapped to a different texture?
Yes I think so - material names and IDs must be unique.

I remember doing something similar once with two ship models - i.e. when both were in a mission, the first one added got the right texture, while the second got the one for the first ship.

The problem was that although the two ship models had differently named textures, they were using the same material. At start-up the game will load materials for the 3D objects - when one material has been loaded for an object, then the properties(including texture references) for this material will be assigned to other objects using the same material.

Quote:
As I said I can drop each one from a different aircraft and see the payloads and both green and white chutes but trying to drop a mix from the same aircraft is the problem.
Cannot really explain that. But in my experience the above issue can manifest itself in weird ways, so I still think a shared material/different textures is the problem. Maybe it has something to do with the objects not being visible at game start - i.e. spawning at a later point.....don't know .

Quote:
Could it be that sharing textures files for the body of the payload is causing the problem?
I don't think so - different models can share textures, but if you have the same material on two different models trying to load different textures, then you have a conflict.

Last edited by Alfa; 08-11-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
crazyeddie

First impressions:

Each of the loads is using the same texture file name for the chute attached to that load:

As I understand what you say when you drop a load it selects the right colour chute depending on the load in a 1 aircraft drop, and if there is a drop of another load from within the same aircraft, that works correctly, but if add another aircraft it gets messed up.

If you look at the edm's you will see this is the material and texture ref being used for all of them.

{"Material #33", 0, "skv_sd_parachute_c", **** };
{"Material #33", 1, "skv_sd_parachute_n", **** };

That is possibly the source of your conflict in a 2 aircraft drop, I have an idea why but I'm not sure about it, what I suggested earlier still applies, change those and see what happens.

Make each load unique in every way.