Rain on canopy - Water Refraction optical illusion modeled?

Jack McCoy

Moved to Reality/Chit-Chat? My question is not whether this exists in real life. I know it does, hence my search for a web reference.

I believe this post belongs under the F/A-18C thread, the only place where the water/rain drops feature is discussed. Before posting, I made sure there was no other similar thread on the entire forum.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

The only aircraft that would have this phenomenon affecting the pilots would be helicopters, the upcoming Yak-52 and Christen Eagle II... all jets and military props fly too fast on approach for water to "fill" the windshield. If rain is plentiful enough to impact looking through the canopy, it is the splashing of water. Hornet and others approach at such a high speed and hve the canopy shaped such that the water will just flow away.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

RainEx and you car does it too ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...
The only aircraft that would have this phenomenon affecting the pilots would be helicopters, the upcoming Yak-52 and Christen Eagle II... all jets and military props fly too fast on approach for water to "fill" the windshield. If rain is plentiful enough to impact looking through the canopy, it is the splashing of water. Hornet and others approach at such a high speed and hve the canopy shaped such that the water will just flow away.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

I figured as much, but I have always flown under 117 KIAS, usually 55-70 KIAS on approach, and rarely in rain.

Here's hoping the effect kicks in for the Yak and Christen...

Thanks.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.