Whole Earth Round Model

Devil 505

Hey Gents,

Im going here and Wags will probably hate me, but did you catch the last live stream on 4/15/18 at 39:20 into the video. Eagle Dynamics is eventually looking at combining all the maps into a whole earth round model. IN the stream pryor to this one, he mentioned first focusing on the ATC for the carrier then ground ATC.

Is it just me or do you guys see the future of military/civilian sim market on the horizon. Take combat out of the picture for now, hands down DCS has the most realistic sim capabilities out there. To me this was some of the most exciting prospect about DCS. I know we are years out and they are looking into the technology, but look at how far we come since DCS started. There is no reason these guys can not achieve this goal down the road.

And on a side note, I also loved the re mentioning of a dynamic campaign coming soon.

Let the criticism, excitment, and chaos begin

Thanks for all the info on the video Wags. We greatly appreciate all the hard work and more recent info.

Nah, I've seen so many bold DCS plans go down the drain or delayed indefinitely for the last 10+ years, I'm not even getting excited.

Take combat out of the picture for now, hands down DCS has the most realistic sim capabilities out there.

If you take combat out of the picture, DCS falls behind many other sims out there. Weather, ATC, AI, DM, multiplayer, all require a deep overhaul before we even start thinking about big Earth.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I know DCS is all about combat, but think of the other assets that could be used in a combat setting and dynamic campaigns. C130's, C-5's, heavy helos ect..... delivering supplies, equipment and men to the front lines. Aerial recon for dynamic campaign missions.

Alot can be done with the whole world technology. Especially for those who just want to fly and contribute to the battlefield, without the combat aspect. I am just sayin, the prospect of whole world technology would help the community grow.

Why do you need more than ~400 miles for digital COMBAT simulator?

Think about it this way... you have around 5000 people maybe that really don't give a darn about a map being bigger than 400x400km and they have serious arguments for this. These people usually would pay premium for that.

Then you have some hundred of thousands if not more people that can't care less of a detailed sand dune somewhere on this planet... they want the whole planet... these people also pay... maybe not all premium... but they are a lot more.

Throw in that each map divide the online community like a very fine knife. And knowing the future is online (hint... the new activation scheme) you may have a glimpse at the requirements for existence of future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Then you have some hundred of thousands if not more people that can't care less of a detailed sand dune somewhere on this planet... they want the whole planet... these people also pay... maybe not all premium... but they are a lot more.

Those people don't want the whole planet. They want one particular dune in their neighborhood, or in the area they are interested in. Which isn't necessarily an area many other people are interested in.

But in the end, in MP people will always gravitate towards the most popular areas, leaving other maps barely used. Especially in a niche game, where there is not enough players to fill the whole virtual world.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Since the current maps do not appear to be built on a spherical model, using them in a spherical world would not work at all. I doubt ED is going to rebuild all of the existing maps to make this happen.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I know DCS is all about combat, but think of the other assets that could be used in a combat setting and dynamic campaigns. C130's, C-5's, heavy helos ect..... delivering supplies, equipment and men to the front lines. Aerial recon for dynamic campaign missions.

Alot can be done with the whole world technology. Especially for those who just want to fly and contribute to the battlefield, without the combat aspect. I am just sayin, the prospect of whole world technology would help the community grow.

How many people are going to sit at a simulator for more than an hour or two on a mission to fly from point A to point B? Even those who say they will, may do it once or twice. Do we really need to devote the resources this would take for something a dozen people might do once or twice?

And same with the helos. It’s already hard to justify the time spent to go on some of these missions in a helo from just the FARP to the front lines.

If you want to play big aircraft or reconnaissance then fine, but you don’t need to take off in Hawaii and then put on autopilot for 12 hours to do that. You simply air start on the edge of the map and return to the edge of the map to leave. That will give you still more time flying a single mission than most people actually want. Especially at subsonic speeds.

Even in the “whole world sims” very few people use more than a small section of it and those who do often don’t sit at their computer the entire time, or they cheat with time acceleration to get over the boring parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would expect it to be like other World model solutions

Lower quality textures/objects, some land marks, Airfields, radios, etc.

But things like NTTR, Normandy, Caucasus, Persian Gulf, will be in higher detail.

Aka Scenery add-ons.

That way when you fly out of bounds, you are given a realistic representation of the terrain/water features etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I think as long as you can save the game state, a world model makes sense. Personally, I wouldn't want to fly a 12 hour transport flight, even in saved game segments. But a large naval campaign in the Atlantic would be interesting. This, of course, hinges on Combined Arms being extended to naval assets. Just one possibility.

The older you get the better the C-47 looks !

When i was 20-30 ( and no kids but a cool cat ! ) I flew nothing but fast movers and 1 Heli Sim, drove fast with my car and my bike, did stupid things with my MTB and such.

As you get older and have hurt yourself many times you tend to take it a bit slower.

There are many among us that dont have Mach2 on top of their priority list anymore.

We have been there, we survived the "Sturm und Drang" period and moved on..hehe

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The older you get the better the C-47 looks !

When i was 20-30 ( and no kids but a cool cat ! ) I flew nothing but fast movers and 1 Heli Sim, drove fast with my car and my bike, did stupid things with my MTB and such.

As you get older and have hurt yourself many times you tend to take it a bit slower.

There are many among us that dont have Mach2 on top of their priority list anymore.

We have been there, we survived the "Sturm und Drang" period and moved on..hehe

Actually as I get older the less time I have for long missions. As a kid or young adult I had the time to spend hours on the computer. Now as a 40 year old 1 hour is a lot to take out of my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

To the forum moderator.

Apologies for the 1.15 violation. Like many people, I never really read all the rules. I was excited to talk about new products LIKE VBS Blue but did not realize it violated 1.15. I am super excited about the future for DCS but fully understand the delicate nature of discussing someone elses product.

That being said, wont happen again. Hope to see the whole earth round tech in the future though. Very cool stuff coming out these days.