Waiting for 8700K?

I have mixed feelings about ther 8700K. On one hand it is the best gaming chip right now. On the other it really limits upgrade path for the platform. Just look at how the 7700K owners got shafted. 6 months after kaby launch, it's already superseded and without upgrade possibility to coffee lake due to a mere pin change.

If your going intel side, nevermind the 7700K. Get a 8700K. DCS may be a single or dual core afair, but for how long? We are headed multicore and DCS will eventually join the bandwagon. It's not like the price of both CPU's or motherboards are THAT different.

Get the bigger chip.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I have mixed feelings about ther 8700K. On one hand it is the best gaming chip right now. On the other it really limits upgrade path for the platform. Just look at how the 7700K owners got shafted. 6 months after kaby launch, it's already superseded and without upgrade possibility to coffee lake due to a mere pin change.

If your going intel side, nevermind the 7700K. Get a 8700K. DCS may be a single or dual core afair, but for how long? We are headed multicore and DCS will eventually join the bandwagon. It's not like the price of both CPU's or motherboards are THAT different.

Get the bigger chip.

1) "eventually" might mean 10 years or more. Look how long it has taken to get EDGE.

2) The worst part about 8700k and Z370 is the complete lack of PCIe expansion. You get one video card slot, and... not much else. Can't really maximize the processor if you can't feed the processor enough data. This is the worst part about the 8700k.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How much RAM you thinking of getting 16G or 32G ?

Sorry forgot the RAM

DDR4 32GB PC 3866 CL18 G.Skill KIT (4x8GB) 32GTZR Tri/ Z RGB

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

thanks for answering

32G of DDR4 at high speed is insanely expensive ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

thanks for answering

32G of DDR4 at high speed is insanely expensive ?

The RAM costs 550 euros.

But (too) expensive is a relative thing for this hobby.

I just looked at the order and to my surprise I see the 8700K is already in the shop. :joystick:

Only waiting for:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

M.2 Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB

Logitech Mouse G900 Chaos Spectrum

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

8700 is in stock at my prefered vendor but sadly the 8700k is not

I have the Zotac 1080TI AMP edition myself, I went Zotac for their 5 year warranty

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

The RAM costs 550 euros.

I just looked at the order and to my surprise I see the 8700K is already in the shop. :joystick:

Only waiting for:

M.2 Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB

I just looked at the order status this morning and now the build start is only waiting for the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid.

So my Coffee Lake 8700K is hopefully coming soon.

The RAM costs 550 euros.

Only waiting for:

M.2 Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB

Looking to upgrade my ram soon myself to 32 meg in the one kit, that ram your getting is 800 aud here:cry: DDR4 32GB PC 3866 CL18 G.Skill KIT

Should be a great rig, interested to see how the 8700K go's Dutch60:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Looking to upgrade my ram soon myself to 32 meg in the one kit, that ram your getting is 800 aud here:cry: DDR4 32GB PC 3866 CL18 G.Skill KIT

Should be a great rig, interested to see how the 8700K go's Dutch60:thumbup:

You are correct that is the memory I ordered for my Coffee Lake rig.

On the Australian webshop it was exactly 819,- Australian dollars.

If I convert that to euros that is 546,- euros.

So not more expensive than in Europe (Netherlands).

Higher memory speeds than 3866 like 4000 or 4133 are over the top!

You need to find a balance between overclocking the CPU and the memory.

With some luck at a memory speed of 3866 MHz I can probably get around 4.8 or 4.9 GHz on the CPU and with some more finetuning hopefully 5 GHz.

Edited by Dutch60

1) "eventually" might mean 10 years or more. Look how long it has taken to get EDGE.

2) The worst part about 8700k and Z370 is the complete lack of PCIe expansion. You get one video card slot, and... not much else. Can't really maximize the processor if you can't feed the processor enough data. This is the worst part about the 8700k.

that applies to Z170,Z270,Z370 and AMD's X370 as well. Those are no "sustained throughput" boards aka chipsets.

AMD's Threadripper is a good example how it should be with every modern board and chipset imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I did a lot of research before buying my new 1700X build. I had wanted to go Threadripper, for I wanted the extra PCI-e lanes, but anyone who is recommending that has not done their research. It has no real world advantages over the Ryzens for the home user. It is slower for gaming, the latency introduced by the two glued together CPUs negates any other benefits it might bring to the table. Do not go TR for gaming.

The 8700K looks to be an awesome, albeit hot, chip. If it was merely about performance I would have gone that way instead of the AMD, but I decided the AMD platform was still going to be a huge upgrade for me and possibly more futureproof in some ways, and I simply wanted to support competition in the industry.

But straight up, the 8700K will deliver more frames per second, but there's nothing wrong with the Ryzens. Nobody stays top dog for long, anyways.

But from what I've seen the TR have no utility for the personal user, as much as I wanted a 1900 from the paper launch. The benchmarks were some very cold shower.

I did a lot of research before buying my new 1700X build. I had wanted to go Threadripper, for I wanted the extra PCI-e lanes, but anyone who is recommending that has not done their research. It has no real world advantages over the Ryzens for the home user. It is slower for gaming, the latency introduced by the two glued together CPUs negates any other benefits it might bring to the table. Do not go TR for gaming.

The 8700K looks to be an awesome, albeit hot, chip. If it was merely about performance I would have gone that way instead of the AMD, but I decided the AMD platform was still going to be a huge upgrade for me and possibly more futureproof in some ways, and I simply wanted to support competition in the industry.

But straight up, the 8700K will deliver more frames per second, but there's nothing wrong with the Ryzens. Nobody stays top dog for long, anyways.

But from what I've seen the TR have no utility for the personal user, as much as I wanted a 1900 from the paper launch. The benchmarks were some very cold shower.

plain wrong in most that you state:

TR has:

- higher base clock of 3.8G ( 3.6G )

- higher XFR of 4.2G ( 4.1G )

- even better cooling options than R7 Ryzen chips

- much much more memory bandwidth

most of the reviews that I read had the TR 1-2 fps ahead of the 1600x and 1800x.

plus all those lanes for our goodies :)

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The big question is... is the ability to hook up a dozen SSDs and multiple videocards more important than faster ram and cpu?

if you're only going to have 1 or 2 SSDs and maybe a mechanical drive for storage, and 1 videocard, then intel is way better, since nobody buys a K part for running at stock speeds, and if they do, they're ignorant of the reason K parts exist. the 8700K pretty well always hits 5Ghz, and some up to 5.2GHz...

the reason you'll buy AMD, if you're not going to have a dozen SSDs, is because you want good performance for value, though i would argue the 8400 is really good value compared to ryzen, even though it's not a K part...

I would also argue video rendering with the CPU instead of the GPU is kinda stupid, especially if you have an nvidia card....

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The big question is... is the ability to hook up a dozen SSDs and multiple videocards more important than faster ram and cpu?

if you're only going to have 1 or 2 SSDs and maybe a mechanical drive for storage, and 1 videocard, then intel is way better, since nobody buys a K part for running at stock speeds, and if they do, their ignorant of the reason K parts exist. the 8700K pretty well always hits 5Ghz, and some up to 5.2GHz...

the reason you'll buy AMD, if you're not going to have a dozen SSDs, is because you want good performance for value, though i would argue the 8400 is really good value compared to ryzen, even though it's not a K part...

I would also argue video rendering with the CPU instead of the GPU is kinda stupid, especially if you have an nvidia card....

+1

xfr 4.2 is NOT slower, it's 100mhz faster, and it's +200mhz base clock

the correct ram kit will also allow up to 3600mhz, on QUAD, that will by far exceed any ram performance of dual channel systems.

???? isnt that clear

and you dont need to oc, just some proper DIY-WC and it auto-clocks to 4.2G.

Edited by BitMaster

1900X regularly hits 4.2 - 4.3 Ghz, highest I've seen on overclock.net forums was 4.325 Ghz score .

Most of the tests with TR were made by youtube reviewers who did not consider differences in arch. For TR one just has to get software to force specific tasks to be kept within the same CCX instead of Windows randomly assigning them to all cores.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I've decided to hold off 8700K, I'm not really comfortable with what appears to be a fairly new chipset but the 1151(2) pin mobo seems a kind of rushed entry, almost like the manufacturers weren't totally ready for the 8 so pushed out some MOBO that perhaps they wouldn't have given another 6 months planning.

I am not saying that is what happened, it just doesn't feel well organised of manufacturers all taking advantage of the new chip.

I wonder if the GPU market was also planning a 1080ti replacement to line up with the new RAM, MOBO, PCIe 4, SATA 4, and 8 series.

is there anyone using 8 series here? i would like to see some dcs tests especially with 8400 and 8600k

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I've decided to hold off 8700K, I'm not really comfortable with what appears to be a fairly new chipset but the 1151(2) pin mobo seems a kind of rushed entry, almost like the manufacturers weren't totally ready for the 8 so pushed out some MOBO that perhaps they wouldn't have given another 6 months planning.

I am not saying that is what happened, it just doesn't feel well organised of manufacturers all taking advantage of the new chip.

I wonder if the GPU market was also planning a 1080ti replacement to line up with the new RAM, MOBO, PCIe 4, SATA 4, and 8 series.

While there appears little doubt that Intel rushed out the release of Coffee Lake in response to the Ryzen threat, there is nothing wrong with the platform. There have been zero issues with memory compatibility or other teething issues and that is because the Z370 is nothing more than a refresh of the Z270.

Bottom line if you want the fastest gaming CPU with a platform that works pretty much flawless and budget/value isn't your main factor in a purchase decision then by all means grab a cup of Coffee Lake.

If value and tasks other than just pure high refresh gaming come into the mix then I would say Ryzen 7 series/x370 chipset is a more compelling choice with a much longer CPU upgrade path if AMD keep to their promise of slotting new CPUs into the existing socket.

The great thing unlike a year ago is we all now have genuine choices as far CPU and motherboard platform goes.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

plain wrong in most that you state:

TR has:

- higher base clock of 3.8G ( 3.6G )

- higher XFR of 4.2G ( 4.1G )

- even better cooling options than R7 Ryzen chips

- much much more memory bandwidth

most of the reviews that I read had the TR 1-2 fps ahead of the 1600x and 1800x.

plus all those lanes for our goodies :)

Wow, 1-2 *whole* fps faster? Well, then it's definitely worth all the extra $$. It's funny, though, because AMD themselves claim that all their benchmarks show the Ryzen is better than the Threadrippers for gaming. CPU benchmark disagrees, but it's bizarre, there are literally no comprehensive reviews on the internet. Maybe it's too early, although it has been nearly 2 months since the 1900x was released and longer for the others, but there isn't a magazine article other than the one I post below that is younger than Sep. 1 announcing the release of the 1900x. Bizarre.

PCI-e lanes? Pray tell, you planning on running SLI?:D :thumbup: Good on ya, mate. Someone has to be the last one out of the pub. Meanwhile the AM4 platform has enough PCI-E for a normal user, a graphics card with 8 lanes, and an M.2 on 8 lanes, with 4 to spare. That's all anyone needs. Yeah, Coffee Lake does look stunted in that regard, although truly, its performance makes up for any PCI-e bottlenecking it might confront. At least that seems to be what the benchmarks show. It is a beast.

And memory bandwidth? Again, mostly meaningless unless you can find a memory bottleneck, so says the internet. ECC sounds nice, but really, is someone planning on hacking you? Memory latency, however, that's significant, and TR at best draws even, if you force it into NUMA.

I liked the idea of the TR. I was planning on buying one. But the TRs have no value to gamers. Their performance to dollar, for gaming, is subpar, compared to the Ryzens which give essentially the same performance for the average user at a fraction of the cost. If you want a reasonable gaming platform for a good price, with excellent broad usefulness for multitasking, streaming, or any other work other than gaming, the Ryzens are a great choice, and for a few dollars more, the 7700 and 8700s are the undisputed gaming top dogs, with the 8700 being surprisingly versatile as well. The Threadrippers only make sense for non-gaming workstations where the substantial extra cost is going to pay for itself in greater professional productivity for which, undoubtably, they are amazing.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-threadripper-1900x-gaming-performance

You dont buy HEDT platform only for gaming. Just because you cant find any use for it, doesnt mean others wont. Frankly, I've seen a lot of discussions on that topic on overclock.net and TR is no worse than Ryzens for gaming, while providing essential features for those who need them.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

3D cards and CPU, RAM and now VR are all like what is your overall use.

AMD ThreadRipper is better choice if you do work with machine and not just game.

Amount of RAM past 8-16GB is questionable for gaming, but not for work.

Etc.

Then is like a DCS with VR. Not really ready as HMD is so low resolution for DCS textures and details, yet if you play other VR titles, then there are great visuals that work at lower specs.

DCS is too demanding, not optimized Visual and overall not a good choice for hardware updates, unless you really really want for it.

It is like having the woman that everyone else admire and dreams, but every penny and time you have will go on her....

So either you want her as her, or you want her because everyone else does but anyways you will pay and listen her whining about not having enough money or time....

So taking a reality check about does a latest and greatest hardware that cost 3-5 times more be worth when you get to suffer from same terrible anyways be worth it?

IMHO. A VR only because DCS ain't worth it. But for DCS but mainly for others VR is worthy.

Just like latest hardware alone for DCS ain't worthy, but for others it is.

But some can argue that they only use a PC for a DCS and that is their only hobby to get relaxed, get own time from a family, it is cheaper than golf etc... And it too is totally valid...

And it is CHEAPER than a golf!

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And it is CHEAPER than a golf!

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

What exactly are you trying to say here Fri13 "kidding" ;)

There are a few good pretty women out there that aren't to high maintenance$. :)

Golfs here start $23,990 driveway :smilewink:

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I just upgraded from AMD 1600x @3.9GHz 1.370V to Intel 8600k @5GHz 1.280V.

First impression - VR Performance is now (much) better with my 1080ti :thumbup:

Running now @5GHz 1.212V, RealBench stable, CPU Temp 70C, Aircooled (Mugen 5 PCGH)

Edited by RaJaN

I just upgraded from AMD 1600x @3.9GHz 1.370V to Intel 8600k @5GHz 1.280V.

First impression - VR Performance is now (much) better with my 1080ti :thumbup:

Running now @5GHz 1.212V, RealBench stable, CPU Temp 70C, Aircooled (Mugen 5 PCGH)

Wow nice only 1.212V for a 8600K @ 5GHz and 70C on air!

Did you delid your CPU?

For my 8700K i ordered an Corsair H115i that I will run in Push-Pull setup with ML140 fans.

I don't plan on delidding the CPU.

I am planning on getting a Oculus Rift CV1 with my new system.

Any indication on what FPS you are getting in VR?

What VR device are you using?