Komodo Simulations Huey Cyclic and Collective Review

So in Aug 2015, I ordered the cyclic and collective from Komodo Simulations. The Huey cyclic information can be found here. And the collective information can be found here. But it's been my experience that you're better off checking Rich's facebook page.

I received them towards the end of March. So yes, it took a while. If you're interested, contact Rich and he can give you an estimate.

First thing's first. It makes flying the Huey **INFINITELY** easier. I could not believe the difference the controls made. Both the cyclic and collective have trims setup so that the controls stay where they are. I used the TH Warthog spring mod

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMBR8M0z2E]here[/ame]

to make flying the Huey easier. But it pales in comparison to the accuracy that Komodo sticks bring to the table. I was able to follow a pair if UH-60's while they were taxing on their weeks. I was a few feet off the ground. It's not as if I became a better pilot overnight, so I attribute the new found skills to the controllers.

The length of the stick, along with the trim, made the difference. So much so that I'm going to order the stick extension made by Sahaj (found here) for my A10/P51 flying.

Let's get some nitpicking out of the way.

1) As you can see in the picture below, the bolts are not flush to the bottom of the cyclic/collective base.

JhoMXWMJhoMXWM.jpg

So I'm going to have to make a base with properly lined up holes to mount it flush. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. I need a flush surface because I use it on hard wood floor with anti-slip mats.

2) Because the USB connection is lined up with the hole meant to be used for mounting, it can make quickly mounting and dismounting the collective a bit annoying. The cyclic does not have this problem.

BS4sHpe.jpg

BS4sHpe

Again, not a major thing, but I have limited space. So I can't permanently mount the collective. I have a solution in mind and will post pictures if anyone is interested. I wish the holes were off to the sides.

3) On the Cyclic, the USB connection is on the south side of the base. This means that it's easy to accidentally roll over the cables with your chair. I plan on wire tying to so that it's redirected away from the chair.

4) A few buttons on the cyclic feel a little mushy to me. Odd because other buttons have nice tactile feel to them.

5) The controllers need to be set within DCS. They are not plug and play like TM Warthog. But this is true for all joystick/controllers with the exception of TM Warthog.

Now the positives. The collective looks beautiful! :joystick: The collective looks a little dirty because I just finished remodeling and some drywall dust got on there.

AUu3qBGAUu3qBG.jpg

And you have the option of mounting the collective so that it's parallel to the floor or offset at 45deg angle.

U6PlFTN.jpg

And as you can see from the above picture, you can set the friction easily on the collective. I set it so that it stays even if I let go of the stick. When I first got it, I was wondering how I would reach the switches for the lights etc. It was a non issue since the collective stays put and you can move your hand to the switches.

I totally get that they are pricey by other joystick standards. Even when compared to TM Warthog sticks. But if you're serious about flying helicopters, I could not recommend them more highly. Nitpicking aside, these controllers make it a joy to fly the huey. Realism? check. Better control? check. Less tiring to fly? check. More accurate? check. And did I say that it shoots the realism factor by orders of magnitude?

So to sum up, if you're serious helo sim'er, you owe it to yourself to budget for these beauties.

I'll add some additional comments after mounting my collective and flying with it more.

Edited by hansangb
fixed pic imbedding
  • Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking the plunge. The price makes me wince, I don't know what shipping will cost from there to here, and I'll go crazy waiting until I receive the stuff. But...as far as I can tell, there's nothing else comparable on the market. And I'm a pretty die-hard Huey sim pilot.

If I can figure out how to sneak it in between paying for everybody to go to university and buying them cars so they'll have something to drive when they get there, I think I'm going to do it eventually, the whole Blade setup with the seat and the UH-1 package.

It's time for the old man to wet his beak for a change.

:D

Of course I'm biased because I bought them! :) But they really do make flying Huey a dream.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Honestly, (with Rift) I just like to take it for a flight. But yeah, it would be good if ED could make a campaign with Huey as the main character.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yeah, those look like quality controllers as well. I did look at them, but in the end, I wanted the Huey specific controllers.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 8 months later...

Hey guys! I hope you don't mind the borderline necro, I was really happy to find this thread.

Thanks to a gift from my father (WWII vet and civilian pilot turning 90 years old this Sunday) who enjoys flying on my sim I was planning to order the VKB Gunfighter with it's dry clutch feature appropriate for helicopters.

Now I'm thinking I might take that same money and instead spend it on the Komodo Cyclic. Maybe even somehow milk the budget some more (three square meals of Ramen per day!) and somehow manage to get the collective as well (I was planning on building one which is how I found this thread). The pedals look fantastic as well, for authenticity but that's just getting greedy, especially as I'm already flying with MFG Crosswinds.

I'm fairly new to DCS, with less than a hundred hours of P-51 flight time and just a couple hours of Huey flight time thus far. My understanding was that the Huey module included an excellent and pretty extensive campaign. Is that not the case? I also found the community made 400+ missions thing which seems like a good place to turn after that.

I'm fully prepared to go all-in on the Huey but some of your comments here about lack of content made me hesitate just the tiniest bit. I'm not too worried about multiplayer, though co-op would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time,

Trip

PS- Which helicopter in DCS has the most content available? Are any known to have new DCS 2.5 campaigns coming? I'm interested in immersion above all else. When it comes down to it whichever set of Komodo controls I buy will probably be used to fly all the DCS helicopters, though I worry about not having enough buttons in the gazelle if I buy the Huey controllers. :huh:

PPS- This might sound crazy, but I'm afraid of the Black Shark possibly being too easy to fly. :rolleyes:

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

The Huey campaign was very nice, but of course I don't know if it's still working. There is a community made Huey Medevac campaign that was released only recently, so it should work pretty well. And some dynamic missions, too.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The Huey campaign was very nice, but of course I don't know if it's still working. There is a community made Huey Medevac campaign that was released only recently, so it should work pretty well. And some dynamic missions, too.

How about campaigns for the other helicopters?

The more I think about it the more I think I should go with the controller with the most buttons because I can fly all the Heli's without any issues. I'd love the specific controller for the chopper I most fly but then I'll be annoyed when I want to use it for anything that leaves me with a button shortage.

Looks like I'll probably get the Gazelle cyclic instead. Auto Hover? Eeew! Modern aircraft are just too easy to fly. I like flying something that makes me work for it! :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Ka-50 has by far the most content available. A DLC campaign, a campaign called the deployment campaign wich is great because it has a very nice difficulty curve, the Georgian oil war campaign, another 3 chapters of the Georgian oil war campaign and a campaign called operation medvedev II.

The Huey currently has one built-in campaign, some notable community efforts like the previously mentioned medevac campaign and forestry missions (haven't tried any of that yet) and a soon upcoming DLC campaign featuring the Huey as part of the Greek navy.

hMFLPQ7qcN8

Before you buy either, it's important to realise what the differences are, as the Ka-50 is a radically different design than the Huey, and what you're hoping to get out of a helicopter simulation.

The Ka-50 is an attack helicopter designed to be completely operational under the control of a single pilot. It therefor features extensive systems, like an autopilot, to make sure the pilot has time to operate its other systems. The helicopter is hardly - and not designed to be - controllable with all autopilot channels turned off. The autopilot does not make flying the Ka-50 excessively easy. In fact, working the autopilot correctly requires some studying, understanding and practice. Incorrect operation of the autopilot gives the sensation that 'it's trying to get you killed'.

This stands in stark contrast with the Huey wich is all about the stick-and-rudder flying.

The Ka-50 is a single-seat design, but still lends itself extremely well to cooperative missions due to a datalink, allowing you to share target information that can be displayed on each other's ABRIS (Advanced Moving Map System). The Gazelle also lends itself to coop extremely well because you can share a single Gazelle with your father or other partner. One person can take the pilot role and the other can operate the weapons. The Huey has no special affinity with cooperative missions other than that you both can control your own Huey.

In good honesty, I have all helicopters, and I think you should get both ;) But you might want to ask yourself what you're hoping to get out of a heli sim before choosing wich one to buy first. Advanced capabilities but with systems management or the pure stick-and-rudder expierence.

edit: wanted to add that, while it's been a very long time since I flew it, I remember the Huey built-in campaign being a lot about flying A--->B. The Ka-50 campaigns, naturally due to the design, orient themselves towards combat.

Edited by Sryan
  • Like 1

Check my F-15C guide

Has the Komodo delivery times improved since last summer when I last contacted them? At the time it was at least a six month wait for their controls.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Thank you for the excellent info @Sryan . I already own the Huey, and I'm loving flying it, though hitting a ground target is another matter entirely!

I have some further questions Sryan, if you don't mind:

Is the stick and rudder flying of the Ka-50 (with all those assists) still the challenge I expect of flying a helicopter, or is managing those systems alone the tricky part?

The multiplayer part of the Gazelle sounds really cool (what I'd been hoping Huey would offer), but there isn't much content for the Gazelle right?

Thanks a lot for your previous reply, it was very informative.

@j0nx I'll let you know about lead time once I hear back from Komodo. Naturally I want the control right now, but I've got plenty of other sim stuff to keep me busy for however long it takes, not to mention my other long neglected hobby I've vowed to return to in the next few months.

Trip

The Ka-50 has by far the most content available. A DLC campaign, a campaign called the deployment campaign wich is great because it has a very nice difficulty curve, the Georgian oil war campaign, another 3 chapters of the Georgian oil war campaign and a campaign called operation medvedev II.

The Huey currently has one built-in campaign, some notable community efforts like the previously mentioned medevac campaign and forestry missions (haven't tried any of that yet) and a soon upcoming DLC campaign featuring the Huey as part of the Greek navy.

hMFLPQ7qcN8

Before you buy either, it's important to realise what the differences are, as the Ka-50 is a radically different design than the Huey, and what you're hoping to get out of a helicopter simulation.

The Ka-50 is an attack helicopter designed to be completely operational under the control of a single pilot. It therefor features extensive systems, like an autopilot, to make sure the pilot has time to operate its other systems. The helicopter is hardly - and not designed to be - controllable with all autopilot channels turned off. The autopilot does not make flying the Ka-50 excessively easy. In fact, working the autopilot correctly requires some studying, understanding and practice. Incorrect operation of the autopilot gives the sensation that 'it's trying to get you killed'.

This stands in stark contrast with the Huey wich is all about the stick-and-rudder flying.

The Ka-50 is a single-seat design, but still lends itself extremely well to cooperative missions due to a datalink, allowing you to share target information that can be displayed on each other's ABRIS (Advanced Moving Map System). The Gazelle also lends itself to coop extremely well because you can share a single Gazelle with your father or other partner. One person can take the pilot role and the other can operate the weapons. The Huey has no special affinity with cooperative missions other than that you both can control your own Huey.

In good honesty, I have all helicopters, and I think you should get both ;) But you might want to ask yourself what you're hoping to get out of a heli sim before choosing wich one to buy first. Advanced capabilities but with systems management or the pure stick-and-rudder expierence.

edit: wanted to add that, while it's been a very long time since I flew it, I remember the Huey built-in campaign being a lot about flying A--->B. The Ka-50 campaigns, naturally due to the design, orient themselves towards combat.

Edited by TripRodriguez
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is the stick and rudder flying of the Ka-50 (with all those assists) still the challenge I expect of flying a helicopter, or is managing those systems alone the tricky part?

Allow me to try and explain.

The Ka-50 does not feature constant microcorrections as you'll have to do when flying the UH-1H, exactly such tasks is what the autopilot is good at.

Constant rudder actions when hovering, and a fairly fixed - depending on the collective position - rudder positioning when in fast forward flight is not something that is required to be done on the Ka-50. This is partly because of the autopilot heading channel, but also due to the co-axial design of the Ka-50.

The autopilot is best not thought of as the way an autopilot is implemented on a commercial aircraft, where you simply input the desired heading and altitude, engage the autothrottle and be done with it (although the Ka-50 is perfectly capable of doing that. You can programm the PVI-800 navigation system, engage the route-following mode and the Ka-50 will fly the assigned route with zero pilot input). It's better thought of as being 'fused' with the normal controls.

The autopilot will:

- monitor the trim (wich also has mechanical effects)

- operate on the heading channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the pitch channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the altitude channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the roll channel if the pilot desires so.

- A flight director mode is available, causing the autopilot to still provide dampening efforts on the active channels, but no further corrective inputs.

- Holding down the trimmer causes similair effects as the flight director mode, once you have put the helicopter under stable conditions, releasing the trimmer will cause the autopilot to hold the desired conditions.

The autopilot has 20% authority on your cyclic controls input and will attempt to meet the conditions you last trimmed the helicopter to on the active channels.

Let's take a look at something practical, and how the autopilot can help us or fight with us. We're flying in a straight line with the pitch, roll and heading channels active. Ahead of us is an obstacle, like a large hill or skyscraper, that we're trying to avoid. The desired way to avoid the obstacle is to avoid it on its right side.

- We could leave all autopilot channels active, and perform some pretty hefty right cyclic. The autopilot will reduce our cyclic input by 20% resulting in a fair and controlled righthand bank. once we avoided the obstacle, we can return the cyclic to a mild righthand position or possibly a centered position, the autopilot will bring the aicraft back to the left and returns us to the previously desired heading. A similair, lefthand maneuvre could be employed to also bring us back to the desired track.

Warning: Not inputting enough right cyclic (<20%) will be completely nulified, the helicopter will not roll. Concluding: "This autopilot is trying to get me killed".

Warning: It's important to realise the helicopter wants get back on the desired heading. While it 'resisted' you making that righthand turn, it would 'boost' you by a further 20% if you decided to apply cyclic left to return to course. This could cause an excessive bank angle (possible >45° or even >90°, possibly leading to departure from controlled flight). Conclusion: This autopilot is trying to get me killed.

- You could press the flight director mode or hold down the trim and completely manually flew past the obstacle, only receiving dampening input from the autopilot and no corrections. Once you've manually flown back to the desired heading and track with a desirable attitude, you can disable the director mode or release the trim.

-You could disable the autopilot heading channel, while it will still fight you for roll, it will be much easier to change the heading of the kamov. once you are on a heading you like, you can reengage the heading channel, the heading channel will look at the new heading you're on and try to maintain it.

I saw that you despised the presence of auto-hover systems on modern heli's. I wanted you to know that this is NOT some superpotent system like is present in certain video games like ARMA. You cannot simply engage the auto-hover and expect the helicopter to enter a hover from any speed or attitude. You pretty much need to bring the helicopter in a hover manually, and then trim the helicopter in such a way that it is within the range of the autopilot cyclic controls range (20%) to maintain the hover. Only then can you engage the autohover.

It is not possible to take-off in a cold aircraft straight into an auto-hover. The sensor like navigation system and doppler radar need some time to warm up (warm up = time with forces and motion on the aircraft, not simply electricity on the buses). Trying to auto-hover immediatly after the first take-off is possibly to get you killed. You'll need to do your hover check manually.

The autopilot can prevent some dangerous sitatuations, most notably PIO. But it will not prevent you from entering other dangerous sitatuations. VRS, dissymmetry of lift etc are not situations the autopilot will protect you against. Some helicopters have very specific 'danger zones'. Par example in the UH-1H, unloading the rotor and requesting excessive bank can cause the Rotor Mast Bump effect to occur. In the Ka-50, having the rotor disks highly loaded, dissymmetry of lift at extreme values and/or requesting large amounts of pitch or bank can sometimes cause the two rotor disks to collide. This is also a situation the autopilot will not protect you against. Peter pilot mistakes are still fully possible :)

I've written quite a bit on the subject now. If you want to know more, you can always ask, or take a look at some community efforts to explain the black shark to get some insights.

- Chuck's 97 page long Ka-50 guide.

- Erik "EinsteinEP" Pierce's insight to the trimming system.

- Erik "EinsteinEP Pierce's insight to the autopilot, part 1 and part 2.

I hope you can conclude:

- That the autopilot is not some boring computer system, it is intertwined with your flying skills.

- The autopilot does not make the ka-50 a stupidly easy aircraft, quite the contrary.

- The real challenge for the Ka-50 is to work the autopilot so it supports you enough so you can spend time on other systems, allowing you to survive and thrive on the modern battlefield.

but there isn't much content for the Gazelle right?

There is the built-in campaign, Operation Dixmude. As far as I know it's coop capable, fairly long and hard featuring a lot of night-time missions. There have been some notable community efforts to create content for it, par example operation terre de tigre and possibly others.

Check my F-15C guide

@Sryan You Sir, are my new favorite DCS community member! Just don't tell Chilly, I still love you Chilly!

It is rare for me to get the kind of detailed answers I desire and strive to provide on internet forums. I guess most people just want the TL;DR but I'm always looking for more. Thank you for taking the time to educate me, your post has me a lot more excited for the other helicopter modules than I was... though my wallet won't appreciate that fact as much as I will!

Based on coaxial RC helicopters I was afraid that the Ka-50 would be boring to fly, now I'm excited to play with it when I get a chance, as well as the gazelle and the Mi-8MTV2.

Now if Komodo would just hurry up and get back to me. I read in the OP that it's easier to get the guy on Facebook but the facebook links didn't work for me. Anyone got good contact info for Komodo other than their form on the website?

Trip

Allow me to try and explain.

The Ka-50 does not feature constant microcorrections as you'll have to do when flying the UH-1H, exactly such tasks is what the autopilot is good at.

Constant rudder actions when hovering, and a fairly fixed - depending on the collective position - rudder positioning when in fast forward flight is not something that is required to be done on the Ka-50. This is partly because of the autopilot heading channel, but also due to the co-axial design of the Ka-50.

The autopilot is best not thought of as the way an autopilot is implemented on a commercial aircraft, where you simply input the desired heading and altitude, engage the autothrottle and be done with it (although the Ka-50 is perfectly capable of doing that. You can programm the PVI-800 navigation system, engage the route-following mode and the Ka-50 will fly the assigned route with zero pilot input). It's better thought of as being 'fused' with the normal controls.

The autopilot will:

- monitor the trim (wich also has mechanical effects)

- operate on the heading channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the pitch channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the altitude channel if the pilot desires so.

- operate on the roll channel if the pilot desires so.

- A flight director mode is available, causing the autopilot to still provide dampening efforts on the active channels, but no further corrective inputs.

- Holding down the trimmer causes similair effects as the flight director mode, once you have put the helicopter under stable conditions, releasing the trimmer will cause the autopilot to hold the desired conditions.

The autopilot has 20% authority on your cyclic controls input and will attempt to meet the conditions you last trimmed the helicopter to on the active channels.

Let's take a look at something practical, and how the autopilot can help us or fight with us. We're flying in a straight line with the pitch, roll and heading channels active. Ahead of us is an obstacle, like a large hill or skyscraper, that we're trying to avoid. The desired way to avoid the obstacle is to avoid it on its right side.

- We could leave all autopilot channels active, and perform some pretty hefty right cyclic. The autopilot will reduce our cyclic input by 20% resulting in a fair and controlled righthand bank. once we avoided the obstacle, we can return the cyclic to a mild righthand position or possibly a centered position, the autopilot will bring the aicraft back to the left and returns us to the previously desired heading. A similair, lefthand maneuvre could be employed to also bring us back to the desired track.

Warning: Not inputting enough right cyclic (<20%) will be completely nulified, the helicopter will not roll. Concluding: "This autopilot is trying to get me killed".

Warning: It's important to realise the helicopter wants get back on the desired heading. While it 'resisted' you making that righthand turn, it would 'boost' you by a further 20% if you decided to apply cyclic left to return to course. This could cause an excessive bank angle (possible >45° or even >90°, possibly leading to departure from controlled flight). Conclusion: This autopilot is trying to get me killed.

- You could press the flight director mode or hold down the trim and completely manually flew past the obstacle, only receiving dampening input from the autopilot and no corrections. Once you've manually flown back to the desired heading and track with a desirable attitude, you can disable the director mode or release the trim.

-You could disable the autopilot heading channel, while it will still fight you for roll, it will be much easier to change the heading of the kamov. once you are on a heading you like, you can reengage the heading channel, the heading channel will look at the new heading you're on and try to maintain it.

I saw that you despised the presence of auto-hover systems on modern heli's. I wanted you to know that this is NOT some superpotent system like is present in certain video games like ARMA. You cannot simply engage the auto-hover and expect the helicopter to enter a hover from any speed or attitude. You pretty much need to bring the helicopter in a hover manually, and then trim the helicopter in such a way that it is within the range of the autopilot cyclic controls range (20%) to maintain the hover. Only then can you engage the autohover.

It is not possible to take-off in a cold aircraft straight into an auto-hover. The sensor like navigation system and doppler radar need some time to warm up (warm up = time with forces and motion on the aircraft, not simply electricity on the buses). Trying to auto-hover immediatly after the first take-off is possibly to get you killed. You'll need to do your hover check manually.

The autopilot can prevent some dangerous sitatuations, most notably PIO. But it will not prevent you from entering other dangerous sitatuations. VRS, dissymmetry of lift etc are not situations the autopilot will protect you against. Some helicopters have very specific 'danger zones'. Par example in the UH-1H, unloading the rotor and requesting excessive bank can cause the Rotor Mast Bump effect to occur. In the Ka-50, having the rotor disks highly loaded, dissymmetry of lift at extreme values and/or requesting large amounts of pitch or bank can sometimes cause the two rotor disks to collide. This is also a situation the autopilot will not protect you against. Peter pilot mistakes are still fully possible :)

I've written quite a bit on the subject now. If you want to know more, you can always ask, or take a look at some community efforts to explain the black shark to get some insights.

- Chuck's 97 page long Ka-50 guide.

- Erik "EinsteinEP" Pierce's insight to the trimming system.

- Erik "EinsteinEP Pierce's insight to the autopilot, part 1 and part 2.

I hope you can conclude:

- That the autopilot is not some boring computer system, it is intertwined with your flying skills.

- The autopilot does not make the ka-50 a stupidly easy aircraft, quite the contrary.

- The real challenge for the Ka-50 is to work the autopilot so it supports you enough so you can spend time on other systems, allowing you to survive and thrive on the modern battlefield.

There is the built-in campaign, Operation Dixmude. As far as I know it's coop capable, fairly long and hard featuring a lot of night-time missions. There have been some notable community efforts to create content for it, par example operation terre de tigre and possibly others.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NooOooo! Apparently Rich Price (Komodo Simulations) facebook page has been taken down, and at least one person over there is surmising that Komodo is either gone or taking a break.

I guess that removes me from temptation... or so I keep telling myself looking for a silver lining.

Most likely then I'll be back to plan A, which was the VKB Gunslinger Pro when it comes up for pre order (dry clutch system for heli's).

I would really like to make a more heli appropriate extension though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, that's surprising. Iknow Rich was trying to expand his business to shorten the wait time. I waited about a year, if I recall.

More than the number of buttons, it was the accurate modeling of the throttle, collective and cyclic. Where I could fly the huey with my fingertips if I wanted to. So for me, the trimming and hydraulic action was important consideration as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hmm, that's surprising. Iknow Rich was trying to expand his business to shorten the wait time. I waited about a year, if I recall.

More than the number of buttons, it was the accurate modeling of the throttle, collective and cyclic. Where I could fly the huey with my fingertips if I wanted to. So for me, the trimming and hydraulic action was important consideration as well.

Absolutely, maximum realism is #1 for me, and maximum control is 2nd. I have to say that with the 4.5" extension, removing the big spring, and reducing the grease back to near stock on my Warthog I feel like I have excellent control of the Huey.

The Gunslinger Pro (with extension and Warthog grip) is likely going to be my final solution, unless Komodo does get back to me.

I have a temporary collective rigged up now, and will be building a better one this coming month with a proper hydraulic damper.

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had the same problem with Rich as another crowd, they all seem to be very bad at contacting / communication or they aren't really geared up for any form of production. Very sad as I would love to buy a number of these collectives.

I've got a collective from OE-XAM but they too suffer from the same issues.

Does anyone else have any links to a quality collective?

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

At this point what I really want to buy is the Gazelle grip. I found another place with them listed but they too are not answering messages. Correction: Turns out my contact form didn't go through the first time so let's see how they do now that I did actually get a message through to them. https://shop.microhelis.de/Cyclic-Stick-EC-135/145

I'll be tempted to just order it, but they include VAT in the cart which I don't have to pay being outside the EU.

Trip

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I attempted to purchase the controller from microhelis.de but it said I have to contact them for shipping and would not complete checkout.

I have now gotten a message through to them so I'm hoping they'll respond fairly quickly! I'm a bit nervous about the lack of reviews but I did find one person online who had the controller and said good things.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please keep this thread updated with the any microhelis updates.

I really wanna pull the trigger on a collective and was thinking of ordering one myself.

The lack of controllers available really sucks. I get its a small market but even small markets have sellers. Helicopter gear sellers are almost non-existant.

I'd seriously pay someone top dollar at this point if they could just produce a good quality item in a decent time frame.