Virtual flying squadrons

Hi. I would like to "shoot around a bit" on the internet without having to follow strict guidelines or download vast support software. I visited several VS but they all seem to take the game a bit too seriously.

Does anybody know of any such casual enviroment? Also what bandwith do I need? Currently I am on dial up but I plan on upgrading to DSL as my current account is going to expire in a few months!

For the On-Line LockOn experience, provided you have 1.12a/b installed, Hyperlobby would be your best bet.

If it's good fun and Teamwork you're after I'd seriously advise you to contemplate joining an online squad. Seriousness is often only invoked as a measure of last resort, and even then it's all good! As Red Flag is a testament to, Teamwork is where it's at :thumbup:

I would also assume that you cannot go wrong by upgrading from dial-up to DSL.....depends on your location too I would think.

Good Luck :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Absolutely nothing wrong with serious gaming...in fact I would like to join some squad eventually...eventhough I am more of a ground pounder then a tom cruise. From what I understand most of the servers are a2a.

My biggest problem is dial up and lack of combat experience. Like any good swimmer its always a good idea to start swimming shallow and work your way deeper. I hope you understand my intentions...in fact I haven't even finished reading the manual yet.:smilewink:

P.S:What red flag are you talkin about?...something resembling the red flag excercises conducted at Nellis AFB ??? LOL...I heard they chase ufos there!

Absolutely nothing wrong with serious gaming...in fact I would like to join some squad eventually...eventhough I am more of a ground pounder then a tom cruise.

... wuss ;)

From what I understand most of the servers are a2a.My biggest problem is dial up and lack of combat experience. Like any good swimmer its always a good idea to start swimming shallow and work your way deeper. I hope you understand my intentions...in fact I haven't even finished reading the manual yet.:smilewink:

Dialup -can- be a problem.

Actually, you'll learn more and faster with a squad, though they might appreciate if you know the basics already.

Have a look at the OC checkride here:

http://44thvfw.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1099

Don't let it intimidate you though - get right into the meat, read it part by part, and you'll see it's a very simple checkride (in essence, it asks you to fly straight level, maintain your speed in climbs and dives, maintain speed and altitude in 30 and 60 degree of bank turns, and a couple other things).

It includes the grading criteria and has a brevity list.

'But, but, do I have to remember all this stuff?!!?!?!?!!'

Nah, not really ... you learn most of this by using it. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

.....eventhough I am more of a ground pounder then a tom cruise. From what I understand most of the servers are a2a...

No - I'd say most are a combination. Being a Strike Pilot myself, when I jump onto Hyperlobby for a quick Flight or so the Fast-Jet Drivers will always provide Top-Cover should you ask - a lot to do for a Ground-Pounder make no mistake.

My biggest problem is dial up and lack of combat experience. Like any good swimmer its always a good idea to start swimming shallow and work your way deeper. I hope you understand my intentions...in fact I haven't even finished reading the manual yet.:smilewink:

As GG said - at most you'd be required to know how to Takeoff, do a coupla circuits and land semi-gracefully. The rest, provided you're willing, will be taught to you at your pace........at the end of the day it's all about having Fun!

P.S:What red flag are you talkin about?..

L.O.C.E.R.F. or LockOn Community Exercise Red Flag

To briefly summarise, LockOn Community Exercise Red Flag is an Inter-Squad Mission Flown on a regular (every 4-6 weeks depending) basis with approx 70+ pilots making up a RedFor and BlueFor coalition.

What sets it apart from the typical "AirQuake" scenario encountered online is the fact that there is a "No-Respawn" policy as well as the proposed integration of Air Traffic Control and Ground Control Intercept Officers and the attendant procedures when running the said missions which all adds 100% to the immersion - believe me: It's as real as it gets within the inherent confines of the simulation.

All missions are set by a board of Moderators thus ensuring a different scenario every time. Trust me - it's a blast!

If you're interested - stop by at the Red Flag Forums and see what it's about. smile.gif

And No - we have not gotten around to chasing UFO's ..........yet! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No - I'd say most are a combination. Being a Strike Pilot myself, when I jump onto Hyperlobby for a quick Flight or so the Fast-Jet Drivers will always provide Top-Cover should you ask - a lot to do for a Ground-Pounder make no mistake.

As GG said - at most you'd be required to know how to Takeoff, do a coupla circuits and land semi-gracefully. The rest, provided you're willing, will be taught to you at your pace........at the end of the day it's all about having Fun!

L.O.C.E.R.F. or LockOn Community Exercise Red Flag

To briefly summarise, LockOn Community Exercise Red Flag is an Inter-Squad Mission Flown on a regular (every 4-6 weeks depending) basis with approx 70+ pilots making up a RedFor and BlueFor coalition.

What sets it apart from the typical "AirQuake" scenario encountered online is the fact that there is a "No-Respawn" policy as well as the proposed integration of Air Traffic Control and Ground Control Intercept Officers and the attendant procedures when running the said missions which all adds 100% to the immersion - believe me: It's as real as it gets within the inherent confines of the simulation.

All missions are set by a board of Moderators thus ensuring a different scenario every time. Trust me - it's a blast!

If you're interested - stop by at the Red Flag Forums and see what it's about. smile.gif

And No - we have not gotten around to chasing UFO's ..........yet! :D

Sounds like a ton of "fun"...but not for the faint hearted and/or inexperienced. As you described red flag it does appear to resemble the real red flag operations conducted by Nato forces at Nellis AFB, Nevada each year. As far as I know the 'top guns' gather there and practice all kinds of missions in regards to nato and recovered warsaw technology. They seperate into blue and red squads and practice different scenarios...see wikipedia for more info!

If you ask me how I know this stuff...answer is very simple...I watch a lot of documentaries(and follow up research on internet) on history, military, high/low tech stuff, etc...big time military buff!

'Chasing ufos' was a half-joke innuendo based on Area 51 which is closely situated to Nellis AFB...assuming your familiar with the area and its "secrets".

Sounds like a ton of "fun"...but not for the faint hearted and/or inexperienced. As you described red flag it does appear to resemble the real red flag operations conducted by Nato forces at Nellis AFB, Nevada each year. As far as I know the 'top guns' gather there and practice all kinds of missions in regards to nato and recovered warsaw technology. They seperate into blue and red squads and practice different scenarios...see wikipedia for more info!

If you ask me how I know this stuff...answer is very simple...I watch a lot of documentaries(and follow up research on internet) on history, military, high/low tech stuff, etc...big time military buff!

Well then, you need to "buff" up your knowledge. The "REAL" RED FLAG was made exactly for a guy like you. RED FLAGs purpose is to get a pilot the combat experience he/she needs to survive in real combat engagement(s). It's a learning experience first and foremost where you practice all you've learned in an environment as close as you can get to a real war.

This assumes that you're a combat capable pilot already - that is, a pilot who already knows the basics of flying and fighting with the aircraft. If you don't know the basics, you need to learn first and be capable of performing the mission of your wing/group/squadron.

The LOMAC/online version isn't nearly as geared towards the learning experience that the "REAL" RED FLAG is. However, I'd commend it's effort and participants for providing this opportunity to participate in an organized online war.

I am pretty sure the people that created the SU-25T demos did not pass any checkride. One guy crashes into a building shortly after take off; the other one lands the plane in a crosswind and shortly after rolls over/tumbles into the grass:BOOM: The funniest one is the SU-25 video when after destroying dozens of targets the "me" pilot loses hydraulic fluid and crashes into a hill about 1-2 kms from the threshold! Two, one why did'nt you eject? Silence!:cry:

Disclaimer: No disrespect intended to the authors...I just think they are funny!

I am pretty sure the people that created the SU-25T demos did not pass any checkride. One guy crashes into a building shortly after take off; the other one lands the plane in a crosswind and shortly after rolls over/tumbles into the grass:BOOM: The funniest one is the SU-25 video when after destroying dozens of targets the "me" pilot loses hydraulic fluid and crashes into a hill about 1-2 kms from the threshold! Two, one why did'nt you eject? Silence!:cry:

The tracks play back incorrectly. The reason for it escapes me at the moment.

I'm however certain that someone will be along shortly to explain in more detail, suffice to say that at the time of recording the track the Pilots were a lot more Competent and Successful than the track would have you believe :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]