A-10 Book Suggestions

DracoLlasa

Hey forums

I did a quick search and didn't see anything jump out, so i thought i would post to get everyone's suggestion on any books that are worth reading on the A-10. Preferably the DCS Covered models but i know that may be too difficult.

I not really looking for technical manual, however if you have links to any freely available one is would be happy to check them out, just dont really want to pay for those.

What im after are any books that i can get in either in ebook or audiobook format from Amazon or the like. Books from pilots, historians, military experts, or similar. Interested in learning a bit more history and insight

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

These four should get you started ...

Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War, by William L. Smallwood

A-10 Thunderbolt II: 21st Century Warthog, by Neil Dundridge

Tank Killing, by Ian Hogg

Boyd, by Robert Coram.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys, this gives me quite a bit to review perfect.

Other recommendations still welcome of course, but i can dig through these threads too

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Personally, I've read both "Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War" and "A-10s over Kosovo" and find them highly recommendable. :thumbup:

Both "feature" the A-10A and these books really made me appreciate the TGP and the TAD we have in our DCS A-10C (the downside being that we virtual pilots tend to spend too much time heads down in the cockpit, losing exactly the Situational Awareness these instruments should help us gain and maintain in the first place :smartass:).

OAF, smallwood's are my favourite

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Apart from the ones mentioned above - A10s over Kosovo and Iraq, both excellent - I also recommend a whole series of books by Jim DeFelice. Really good read and you can see that the author knows the hogs inside - out. I think there are 6 or 7 books in the series, all over Iraq.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Apart from the ones mentioned above - A10s over Kosovo and Iraq, both excellent - I also recommend a whole series of books by Jim DeFelice. Really good read and you can see that the author knows the hogs inside - out. I think there are 6 or 7 books in the series, all over Iraq.

Thanks for this recommendation, i found the whole series on amazon as a collection

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ077PY/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

(in case others want quick access)

This likes a perfect place to start, thanks again to all for their feedback/recommendations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds great. On Amazon, I only found a Kindle edition (I don't have a Kindle). Do you know whether they're also available in print? Maybe then I'll go visit an actual bookstore and see if they can get them. :)

Sounds great. On Amazon, I only found a Kindle edition (I don't have a Kindle). Do you know whether they're also available in print? Maybe then I'll go visit an actual bookstore and see if they can get them. :)

I am in no way trying to promote Kindle versions, but just so you know there is a free kindle ereader app available for most mobile phones and tablets. So if you did want to consider the kindle version you don't actually need a kindle device, just the kindle app on your phone or tablet. This will likely be how i get them and read them on my Android phone or iPad.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am in no way trying to promote Kindle versions, but just so you know there is a free kindle ereader app available for most mobile phones and tablets. So if you did want to consider the kindle version you don't actually need a kindle device, just the kindle app on your phone or tablet. This will likely be how i get them and read them on my Android phone or iPad.

Good to know, thanks!

But if possible I prefer the old-school printed version to go along some of the aforementioned books in my shelf. ;)

yep totally understand.. not sure about finding the printer versions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 years later...

I actually searched the threads before creating a new one on a book recommendation.

I second, "Warthog, Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War." The book is amazing as it gives great technical details on load outs, maneuvers, and tactics. I came across a few posts on here on realistic weapon loadouts and that CBU's weren't heavily used. These guys flew heavy. If it could fit, it went on the plane and they used A LOT of cluster bombs and Maverick G's. The only con is that sometimes it jumbles multiple personal accounts and can be challenging to track at times.

Plus you get to read about a pivotal moment in how they had to adapt their tactics to desert engagements and exactly when the A-10 came in to its night role. Ever think about using the rocket pod for flares at night for ingress/egress marks? This book gives good examples on how they used flares and totally changed the way I use dumb bombs.

I'll have to check out the other recommendations here.

- Coffee Lake i7k @ 5.1GHz (delidded, custom loop)

- EVGA 1060 6GB (video card crisis purchase)

- 32GB DDR4 @ 3333 15 CAS

I came across a few posts on here on realistic weapon loadouts and that CBU's weren't heavily used. These guys flew heavy.

It's all about context. :)

I think in Kosovo and Afghanistan, Cluster Bombs weren't/aren't used because they don't fit the ROE or the situation on the ground.

There's no question that they were used a lot on the A model in Desert Storm.

So when people say CBUs aren't (heavily) used, it's probably in reference to Afghanistan and OEF.

• 3 weeks later...
It's all about context. :)

I think in Kosovo and Afghanistan, Cluster Bombs weren't/aren't used because they don't fit the ROE or the situation on the ground.

There's no question that they were used a lot on the A model in Desert Storm.

So when people say CBUs aren't (heavily) used, it's probably in reference to Afghanistan and OEF.

Very true...I'm trying to recount other material I read on weapon loadouts. I think I was reading "Danger Close, Tactical Air Controllers in Afghanistan and Iraq," by Dr. Steve Call. It's basically a text book. There was one account of a long engagement - possibly Afghanistan where all the flights in the JTAC's stack had CBU's. It was just a freak chance of it happening by my memory.I think this particular controller really liked them.

Again, as you mentioned...depends on the situation.

- Coffee Lake i7k @ 5.1GHz (delidded, custom loop)

- EVGA 1060 6GB (video card crisis purchase)

- 32GB DDR4 @ 3333 15 CAS