Thrustmaster Reveal - TPR Rudder System

Jabbers_

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50-base.html

It seems to be in stock here at their eu website. The virpil that is. The VKB I don\t know when it will be in stock.

I tried ordering from the EU site but unfortunately it locks up in checkout and won't process the order. I tried worldwide but they don't deliver to UK. :( I also noticed a hike of 90 euros between the two sites for the same standard upgraded joystick. Crazy!

Rumor is that new HOTAS only in 2020 (as teased in E3 2016)

Hmmm, I wonder if that's when all the problems of licensing force feedback dies down. Would love to feel some feedback although just a decent hard wearing gimbal would be nice change.

... I tried worldwide but they don't deliver to UK. :( I also noticed a hike of 90 euros between the two sites for the same standard upgraded joystick. Crazy!....

incl. and excl. VAT.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I tried ordering from the EU site but unfortunately it locks up in checkout and won't process the order. I tried worldwide but they don't deliver to UK. :( I also noticed a hike of 90 euros between the two sites for the same standard upgraded joystick. Crazy!

I also had problems when trying to order from their site. Had to use Edge browser for it to process at checkout so I could pay for it, the site was still not working properly in Edge but I managed to order anyway.

As for the price difference, I think it's because of the import taxes. On the EU site it's already in the price. When ordering from the .by site it's not included and you will have to pay the taxes when it arrives to your country.

I was wondering about this also when I was looking and the answer I got from Virpil was that the price in the end would be about the same even if I ordered from the .by site.

Well, you have also "dampers" to adjust the feelings around the center (smooth or notch). Spring tension can be adjusted and you can also "desactivate" the springs in few seconds (for this one you will need to build a little part).

Looks that center mechanism is the old "tweezers" with center detent (CH, Saiteks...):

TPR2.jpg

Screws probable allow adjust springs (2) tension a bit.

I hate this part about it. It would have been very easy to convert this to a cam design. Just two roller bearing followers tensioned together with a spring, resting against a profile on the arm.

I have a question about the geometry of this rudder:

rudder-system-img2.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of "pendular pedals"... The angle of the toe brake pedals changes relatively with the position of the rudder - pressed in side has steeper angle of the pedal, the other side has lower angle. This video shows the effect very well at 4m 16s:

So if you're trying to brake to a certain level (not fully down), and then steer, you would have to compensate for this change of pedal angle? :huh:

I also had problems when trying to order from their site. Had to use Edge browser for it to process at checkout so I could pay for it, the site was still not working properly in Edge but I managed to order anyway.

As for the price difference, I think it's because of the import taxes. On the EU site it's already in the price. When ordering from the .by site it's not included and you will have to pay the taxes when it arrives to your country.

I was wondering about this also when I was looking and the answer I got from Virpil was that the price in the end would be about the same even if I ordered from the .by site.

Thank you for clarification. I used edge to place my order and it went through. Now to sit and wait. :thumbup:

rudder-system-img2.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of "pendular pedals"... The angle of the toe brake pedals changes relatively with the position of the rudder - pressed in side has steeper angle of the pedal, the other side has lower angle. This video shows the effect very well at 4m 16s:

So if you're trying to brake to a certain level (not fully down), and then steer, you would have to compensate for this change of pedal angle? :huh:

To brake you put your foot on the pedal, and the full throw is about 5" maybe a little more, so the "compensation" for the pedal angle is negligible.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I asked somebody who was actually at E3 and had a chance to play with the TPR Rudder, and he was confused why somebody would need exact position of brake while steering wildly. Not really helpful. :doh:

But to me it looks like the change in angle is quite a large portion of available toe brake angle change from zero to full. In the Jabbers' video above it looks like the toe brake only depresses about an inch.

I asked somebody who was actually at E3 and had a chance to play with the TPR Rudder, and he was confused why somebody would need exact position of brake while steering wildly. Not really helpful. :doh:

But to me it looks like the change in angle is quite a large portion of available toe brake angle change from zero to full. In the Jabbers' video above it looks like the toe brake only depresses about an inch.

Yes toe break does not move to far, and the throw of the rudder is about 5-6 inches. Additionally to use the brake, you would generally take your foot off the floor, so this gives you more control on all axis. Braking did not feel weird, it felt completely natural when i landed during the demo

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

rudder-system-img2.jpg

Thoughs and Impressions? :music_whistling:

Z...

Looks that center mechanism is the old "tweezers" with center detent (CH, Saiteks...):

TPR2.jpg

Screws probable allow adjust springs (2) tension a bit.

This is what I've been waiting to see. For some applications I prefer a hard center like opposing rocker arms (tweezers) apply, but for others not so much. The mechanism however looks like it would be fairly straight forward to swap out with a cam mod however, though modding $500 pedals is probably not an idea situation for most. Also would be easy to incorporate a nice damping mechanism as well. Either way it's great to see a big manufacturer make a serious set of pedals though.

• 2 weeks later...
$550 for pedals, $110 for shipping, all in including PP fees is $693.

So yes, seems prices have gone up.

They've definitely gone up, but so has some of the engineering it seems. I own the very first generation of Slaw pedals (109, non-cam), and still love every bit of them. They've been hammered for years as I vainly try and avoid being shot down, and work perfectly. I've been considering buying a cam version of the 109 pedals and selling my current set, but I'll have to look at this first. I use a Warthog as my primary HOTAS, and TM will have to step WAY up in materials to get even close to Slaw, even with a $150 price advantage.

Though I'll also happily admit my WH has given me years of trouble-free service. I replaced my Cougar with it about 6 months after it came out. Not even sure how many years ago that was. If it died tomorrow I'd shrug, wish it bon voyage, and buy another one... though I'm also very intruiged by the Gunfighter base. I don't use TARGET.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, definitely going to order.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Tempting but I am still holding out for the combat pedals for my MFGs.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Unable to preorder as they have closed all preorders ahead of the July 23rd release date. I was going to order as the wife ack had given permission to spend the $$$ for a good birthday gift but I have to wait until they open the ordering back up again. In their press release I didn't see any mention of limiting pre-orders.

Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ

A-10C_UserBar_04.gif.632b6636b377c44d7dc562f85b269d2b.gif