reactivate needed? for my dual system Win7 & Win10

bin801

I have dual system Win7&Win10 in single desktop. Win10 is newly added in newly installed disk.

I try to not waste my time to install DCS again, so I didn't uninstall DCS from Win7.

After enter Win10, I didn't install DCS for Win10.

When enter Win10, I pressed "Run" button, the .exe file, in DCS OB folder, which is installed under Win7 system.

Try to let Win10 run DCS without reinstall to save time and registration.

Win10 did run DCS and pass the autorization window. Later a window ask me to enter avtivation serial numbers for products, such as combine arms and mig-21 and so on, those I got activation under Win7.

My question is :

is recativation necessary? for newly installed Win10, or to say, for Dual system? in single desktop?

If not, how should I do ?

Appreciate !

Edited by bin801

I have dual system Win7&Win10 in single desktop....

My question is :

is recativation necessary? for newly installed Win10, or to say, for Dual system? in single desktop?

Yes, for all practical effects your single copy of DCS believes that these two different Windows are different Computers, each with its own registry.

If you start playing DCS from both Windows it will start using up your activations each time you change from one Windows to the other. DONT DO IT, or you will quickly run out of activations.

If not, how should I do ?

Use your DCS on just one of your Windows.

If you chose to run it on Windows 10, then before starting to use it, start DCS one last time on Windows 7 and then deactivate all your modules, campaigns and terrains. This way you recover one activation, that you will then spend activating all of these modules on the Windows 10 registry.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you Soooooooooooooo much !!!!!!!!!!!

save my DCS activations in time!

Appreciate!!!!!

And, am I right? that means I don't need uninstall DCS from Win7 and install DCS in Win10. The Win10 can run the already installed DCS?

If yes, the only thing I need to do is to move (copy & paste) those configure files( such as input setting, saved mission.....) in former system disk's "user/saved game/ DCSob" folder to the counterpart folder in Win10? if there is any?

Of course, after following what you told me about reactivations.

Edited by bin801

Thank you Soooooooooooooo much !!!!!!!!!!!

save my DCS activations in time!

Appreciate!!!!!

:) you are welcome

And, am I right? that means I don't need uninstall DCS from Win7 and install DCS in Win10. The Win10 can run the already installed DCS?

Yes, you can keep using your current DCS on Win10, you can copy the programs shortcut from wherever you have it on windows 7 (most likely the desktop folder)

If yes, the only thing I need to do is to move (copy & paste) those configure files( such as input setting, saved mission.....) in former system disk's "user/saved game/ DCSob" folder to the counterpart folder in Win10? if there is any?

Yes, you should move the DCS folder that you have on windows 7's Saved Games, over to the Saved Games folder that you have on Windows 10 .. move the whole folder since it not only has the joystick config, but also your campaign progress, the logbook, the screenshots, etc.

Move this prior to starting DCS for the first time on Win10, so that you wont have to configure anything.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

If I recall correctly, control config files have names that contain USB device ID number in them, which is unique for each new system, even on the same computer. Therefore just copying config folder will not work "out of the box", as Win10 will not recognize USB IDs assigned by Win7. Some changing of the filenames might be necessary, unless someone knows a faster way (using load/save profile interface maybe?).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thank you!

I move them, but late, after first time run Win10 DCS. what will happen?

I did met problem, I try to load saved input setting, and fail.

I'd love to help, but need more details about the fail.

If I recall correctly, control config files have names that contain USB device ID number in them, which is unique for each new system, even on the same computer. Therefore just copying config folder will not work "out of the box", as Win10 will not recognize USB IDs assigned by Win7. Some changing of the filenames might be necessary, unless someone knows a faster way (using load/save profile interface maybe?).

That is correct ... the config file name has the USB ID appended to it, like this:

LgAedce.jpg

If you end up with two lua files for the joystick (one from the old DCS config that you copied over, and another created by the new DCS), edit them with Notepad++ and copy the contents of the older file and paste it over the content of the new file, replacing all of it. Repeat for every aircraft that you have.

Best regards