Behaviours under NO control... (is it just me?)

Don't misjudge my posts, if I really hated the game I wouldn't spend time looking for improvements. :wink:

Here is some behaviour issue that I can't avoid by any trick,

if someone can tell me what I misunderstood:

I wanted a group of Su25s to attack some power-plant.

So I:

- created defenses around plant.

- added a 2xSu25 SEAD group with 4xKh25MP to clean the Shilkas and Kub radars and some rockets for remaining threats.

- set SEAD group attack WP targetting priorities on EADs.

- added my main 3xSu25 Pinpoint Strike group with rockets and laser missiles.

- set PS group attack WP targetting priorities on cooling towers and main buildings.

- set some MiG23s GAI group around with its EWR and HAP to prevent its activation before Su25s reached the target.

- launched the mission as spectator.

(all units are set to "excellent" level)

What happened:

- the SEAD group attacked the Shilkas then turned in circles without engaging the Kub even though they still had Kh25MPs.

- then the PS group arrived and attacked the Kub launchers first (not the radar unit) with opt.missiles then attacked the plant WITH GUNS!?!?

:shock:

- as the attack was lasting forever (the planes making passes without even firing, waiting for bingo-fuel I guess) the GAI group arrived and at that moment the Su25s of PS group attacked them with rockets!?!?!?

- this whole mess ended up in a gun fight between Sus and MiGs... MiGs win.

So, I tried the very same mission changing Pinpoint to Ground Attack. And nothing changed except the fact Sus fired rockets on some remaining group units (Kub radar) without even firing them on their primary targets.

Changing laser missiles to bombs only make them shoot with guns then break and drop the bombs to avoid incoming shots.

So, debriefing:

- the SEAD just didn't supress ALL EADs while they still could.

- the pinpoint/groundatk strikes removed from the map everything BUT the real targets.

- the planes kept flying over the site for minutes... fine sitting ducks.

What should have happened:

- SEAD should have disabled the radar units (Shilkas and Kub's radar) first (three shots, one remaining) then attacked whatever launcher remained.

- PS group should have made a ONE quick pass destroying the three cooling towers (primary targets)(one each) and the main building (secondary), if got time to aim, without even caring to remaining EADs.

- PS and SEAD should have then pursued their flight plan back to base before GAIs arrived.

So... what did I do wrong in the editor? :?

Or should I consider using more than the editor and what? Coding?

IMaHO and from what I've seen about strikes:

- an attack point should stand for a ONE pass attack... (to make two passes, simply put two attack waypoints allows to even choose approach angles and ensure the planes won't keep flying over defenses to death).

- a pinpoint attack should be a direct attack of the main target, plane lined up with it and just making some movements without rolling to dodge bullets, music on and decoys at maximum firing rate. Since it should be a one pass... why count?

- and about payload dropping... hmm... I understand a plane can drop them to escape enemy interceptors, but then, why pursuing with the flight plan when you have (for example) to bomb a runway while you have no more bombs in the whole group? I guess an "abort" waypoint property would be great (it would be the waypoint to jump to when mission can't be fulfilled, some of the RTB ones).

"Heroism is the only way to get famous when you got no talent" Pierre Desproges

"Whether fifty millions people say a stupid thing,

it's still a stupid thing." Anatole France

Drakkhen,

Generally speaking, the AI is much improved in Lock-on 1.1, so many of your observations regarding weird AI behaviour have already been addressed.

The situation you described above concerning AI behaviour against airdefences was a key area and has been improved considerably :) .

JJ

Was one of my biggest gripes with Lock On, and I came up with similar suggestions ;) In fact I very much like the idea to only have on attack pass per waypoint, didn't think of that myself, and it could be extremely useful for better control.

Now the way Lock On's AI behaviour is programmed doesn't allow certain changes without major restructuring of the code, that's what I had to realize. This includes target selection aspects as well unfortunately.

Still there has been quite some progress in this area with 1.1, especially when it comes to planes ignoring their primary targets to go after air defenses instead (they love to attack some sites some 30km away in 1.02 ;)). This is much improved now, and the whole ground attack aspect is more controllable in 1.1. Planes also no longer jettison their AG ordnance immediately when under fire from SAMs or enemy fighters.

With proper mission planning, which includes setting wapoints, ordnance, target selection and timing, I can now get my flights on AG missions to do what I want them to do most of the time. Still needs a bit more tweaking at times than I like, but no question, it's much better. I'm also confident to see more improvements in this area in the future.

Cheers

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

:D

...I just can't wait then...

I just hope it won't be too complicated to get the upgrade, editor changes... :?

"Heroism is the only way to get famous when you got no talent" Pierre Desproges

"Whether fifty millions people say a stupid thing,

it's still a stupid thing." Anatole France