SU27 radar behavior

DerFangzahn

Hi,

I am quite new to DCS and still learning all the planes. Currently I have an issue with the SU27/SU33 radar.

Flying missions I am not able to detect enemy fighters on the radar before they are in firing range of my missiles. And so I am in their firing range.

It is impossible for me to detect for example a F16 which is closing in on me before it is in the firing range of my 27ER.

The F16 is not notching me or masking. It flies into my direction at high altitude. Straight or with a slight offset. Even changing the doppler pulse frequencies does not have any effect.

Sometimes it is even that worse that I am not able to detect the fighter when it is already visible. I am pointing my nose on the target and I can see it visually. But no chance to detect it on the radar.

Do I miss here something, or what is the issue?

Funny enough I dont have this issue when training in short scenario build in the mission editor. There I can detect the planes well before firing range is met.

Thank you for the help.

Regards

Posting a short track will be the easiest way for people to see what your doing and help you. Tracks can be saved at the end of the mission.

Keep in mind, some times the tracks do not play back correctly.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi,

I am pointing my nose on the target and I can see it visually. But no chance to detect it on the radar.

Do I miss here something, or what is the issue?

The radar is stabilized. If you point your nose up, that does not mean that the radar looks up. It will try to stay at the angle off the horizontal you set it to.

AE103.jpg

In this picture you can see a vertical line next to a zero on the right side: I 0

this gives you a visual representation where the radar is looking. The number shows how many meters above or below your current altitude your are pointing the radar. Combined with the number at the bottom of the HUD you can search a specific point in space. The horizontal line at the bottom also shows if the radar is looking straight, left or right.

As mvgas said, the best thing you can do is post a track.

I also recommend doing the BI(T)test before every flight:

The number shows how many meters above or below your current altitude your are pointing the radar.
You meant kilometers.

Also for the OP, read this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54965&page=2

or watch:

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I also recommend doing the BI(T)test before every flight:

:lol: :lol:

Good one.

To the OP,

In addition to everything else...

For an approaching target, setting your radar to Front Hemisphere (High PRF) will give you the best chance of picking up targets early, usually well before you are in range of their missiles.

Also, the BVR HUD shows you where your radar is pointing in reference to your HUD. In RED's screenshot, on the tall vertical line on the HUD's right side, are two short horizontal lines pointing to the right. The space between them represents the piece of sky you see through your HUD.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ok, so maybe the fact that the radar tries to keep the scan on the horizontal was the problem. This I never heard in any tutorial.

Does the radar of the F15 do the same in BVR?

Does anyone know the angle the radar scans? Left/Rights its 60°

Up/Down?

Thank you.

Does the radar of the F15 do the same in BVR?
Yes.

Does anyone know the angle the radar scans? Left/Rights its 60°

Up/Down?

Depending on the radar mode of the F-15C it's up to 55° (don't know exact limit, but 55 is possible).

hint: You should probably move discussion about the Eagle from the Su-27's thread.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

55° on the eagle. On the Flanker?

If I remember correctly it's 30 degrees look down & 60 degrees look up. Pages 50-52 of the flight manual.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Azimuth is +-60deg on Eagle, Flanker and Fulcrum.

Edit: for confirmation

Page 56, Flanker manual

In the STT mode, the radar can lock one target and track it in 120 degree of azimuth.

Page 67, F-15 manual

The width defaults to - ±600, but by pressing the [RCtrl+-] key, - ±300 can be selected.

Note- ±300 and 600 should be 30deg and 60deg, possible typo in the manual.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org