O-2A Skymaster

Prowler111

O-2A Skymaster  

311 members have voted

1. 1. O-2A Skymaster

• yes
    • no

Was thinking the same. I'm not interested in trainers and simple aircraft anymore for a while.

Would be amazing to have a good SAM battery / AAA simulator in DCS. SA2's and shilka for example would be an instant purchase for me.

I'd buy an O-2 straight away - zero interest in SAM simulator, though ;)

Oh - and you can already man Shilka units in DCS World with Combined Arms.

Furia - I agree, but such are the times we live in. Simply answering a question is no longer viable - everyone wants their view known and everyone wants what they want and not what others want :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a purchase for me. I'm sure there are other aircraft that could do the role as well or better, but I've always liked the aircraft. Some devs like ED like to put out simpler modules to compliment their more advanced modules (need funds), and this is a good choice in my view.

I voted “No”, because there many planes more deserving. It would be a nitch, with only short time popularity. That said, I have many hours in the real Cessna 337 Skymaster, and it flew very well. I liked it.

We have the F-5, also used in Vietnam, and the MiG-21. So, how about an F-8 Crusader? THE MiG killer.

Edited by TWC_SLAG
Typo

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

How about if DCS had us vote our order of preference on 5 planes? Then, add the winner and 4 other planes to vote on. Put the first and second round winners with some others in a third round. If a previous winner isn’t at least third in each round, they get dropped. Do that 4-5 times, and you have a pretty good list as to what people really want.

Then DCS can decide which of those fits in with what we already have.

Some people just want to be able to fly as many different planes as possible. They probably don’t care what plane comes out next. They will vote yes for anything. In the real world, you don’t fly a different plane everyday.

DCS, needs to take into account what will sell enough to make a profit.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

How about if DCS had us vote our order of preference on 5 planes? Then, add the winner and 4 other planes to vote on. Put the first and second round winners with some others in a third round. If a previous winner isn’t at least third in each round, they get dropped. Do that 4-5 times, and you have a pretty good list as to what people really want.

Then DCS can decide which of those fits in with what we already have.

Some people just want to be able to fly as many different planes as possible. They probably don’t care what plane comes out next. They will vote yes for anything. In the real world, you don’t fly a different plane everyday.

DCS, needs to take into account what will sell enough to make a profit.

You're treating a tournament or election model like market analysis. Hungering for winners like that puts the cart before the horse. You don't know which aircraft to field in the first place. The Viggen would never have featured on anyone's radar and be selected away rapidly, despite a development studio having superb access and insights.

Different developers have different interests and fields of expertise, and ED has their own overall strategy with the game. A poll isn't to empower players to steer development (imagine if they chose the F-35, nigh impossible to research adequately to ED standards), it's to show product preferences that developers can use to help guide them. What I propose is not choice, it's collection of data. The analysis of that data goes beyond which aircraft ends up with the highest rating.

And to salvage this to keep on topic (since I've no response from Growler yet): I'd love an O-2A. I'd love a Cessna 152. I'd take a 707, with or without military equipment.

You're treating a tournament or election model like market analysis. Hungering for winners like that puts the cart before the horse. You don't know which aircraft to field in the first place. The Viggen would never have featured on anyone's radar and be selected away rapidly, despite a development studio having superb access and insights.

Different developers have different interests and fields of expertise, and ED has their own overall strategy with the game. A poll isn't to empower players to steer development (imagine if they chose the F-35, nigh impossible to research adequately to ED standards), it's to show product preferences that developers can use to help guide them. What I propose is not choice, it's collection of data. The analysis of that data goes beyond which aircraft ends up with the highest rating.

And to salvage this to keep on topic (since I've no response from Growler yet): I'd love an O-2A. I'd love a Cessna 152. I'd take a 707, with or without military equipment.

Nothing wrong with market analysis, which involves the collection of data. By the time you have gone through several rounds, as I describe them, you have made available many different planes on which to vote. The Viggen would have possibly been one of those.

To get back to the thread, if someone wants a 152, or some such, there is a sim called **X, which has 1,000’s of free planes to download. The “C” in DCS stands for Combat.

TWC_SLAG

OV-10 would certainly be my preference. If we're going for odd AC of the Vietnam war, how about an A-37 Super Dragonfly? It'd the BLUEFOR equivalent to the L-39 in DCS.
What do you mean by "odd"? It was "the" first dedicated FAC aircraft. The O-1 was simply a plane that was slow and available, then they looked at something better suited for the job and came to the O-2 Skymaster as it had a second propeller in the back, good visibility and loiter time.

The OV-10 was build for the job, but that doesn't mean a Skymaster isn't fit for the job...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

To get back to the thread, if someone wants a 152, or some such, there is a sim called **X, which has 1,000’s of free planes to download. The “C” in DCS stands for Combat.

The nimble Cessna propeller driven aircrafts doing AFAC role in Vietnam (L19 and O-2A) saw more combat, flew more hours over enemy territory than many other jet units in theater.

Take a look at the number of awards given to those pilots flying such very dangerous missions and then come back here and say this is just a 152 that has no room in a combat enviroment.:doh:

The nimble Cessna propeller driven aircrafts doing AFAC role in Vietnam (L19 and O-2A) saw more combat, flew more hours over enemy territory than many other jet units in theater.

Take a look at the number of awards given to those pilots flying such very dangerous missions and then come back here and say this is just a 152 that has no room in a combat enviroment.:doh:

Pretty much this... There are a lot of links to videos and such showing what they did.

I would even go so far as to say it was a more interesting job than rushing in with an F-4, dump some bombs or napalm on triple canopy jungle and hurry back to base...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well, I voted, and voted yes.

Not yes because I want the plane personally, but yes because I can see that many do, and that it can fulfill a role in DCS, and why would I stand in the way of that?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The 152 is the bottom of the line plane from Cessna. It has two seats, a nose wheel, and is used mostly for primary training. Maybe you are thinking of the four seater 172, also with a nose wheel. Even that is not like an O-2, which is closer to the 337. Google them, and the O-2.

The O-2 was not just a 337 with the seats ripped out. Has as been suggested.

Edited by TWC_SLAG
Typo

TWC_SLAG

The 152 is the bottom of the line plane from Cessna. It has two seats, a nose wheel, and is used mostly for primary training. Maybe you are thinking of the four seater 172, also with a nose wheel. Even that is not like an O-2, which is closer to the 337. Google them, and the O-2.

The O-2 was not just a 337 with the seats ripped out. Has as been suggested.

No need to google, been flying Cessna aircraft among other types since 26 years so they are quite familiar to me.

This thread is about the twin engine, retractable gear O-2A, quite a difference airframe/performance from a C152.

And yes this is a combat aircraft, used extensively during the Vietnam war.

Just out of curiosity more than 500 units were produced for the Vietnam War.

Like the Huey, an "utility" heliocpter that ended up logging more combat hours and earning more awards than most other "combat" aircraft

Hey above all I would love to have an A1 Skyrider but that does not mean I have to vote against the O-2A

The more aircraft related to the Vietnam war the better.

A Tweet? Seriously?

That's Super Tweet to you. They were indispensable light close air support and fairly popular. There's a former Super Tweet pilot over on F-16.net if you're looking for interesting war stories about them.

No need to google, been flying Cessna aircraft among other types since 26 years so they are quite familiar to me.

This thread is about the twin engine, retractable gear O-2A, quite a difference airframe/performance from a C152.

And yes this is a combat aircraft, used extensively during the Vietnam war.

Just out of curiosity more than 500 units were produced for the Vietnam War.

Like the Huey, an "utility" heliocpter that ended up logging more combat hours and earning more awards than most other "combat" aircraft

Hey above all I would love to have an A1 Skyrider but that does not mean I have to vote against the O-2A

The more aircraft related to the Vietnam war the better.

I spent 5 years working at Cessna, delivered new planes on weekends, and I didn’t bring up the 152. Looks like the poll is going against the O-2.

TWC_SLAG

(...) Looks like the poll is going against the O-2.

With 1% of the forum members having voted some 0.5% pro and con.

That is taking into account only the forum, not the majority of buyers not present with a forum account... So either we need to assume only some 100 people are interested in an O-2A or we can scale to 50% of the customer base may be interested the O-2A...

Shagrat

With 1% of the forum members having voted some 0.5% pro and con.

That is taking into account only the forum, not the majority of buyers not present with a forum account... So either we need to assume only some 100 people are interested in an O-2A or we can scale to 50% of the customer base may be interested the O-2A...

Or, 98% just don’t care. It’s the popular vote that counts. There is no electoral college.

TWC_SLAG

I voted yes. But not sure I would buy it unless we could get a jungle map, Vietnam, El Salvador or something generic, but jungle.

I would have prefered this bird, that's for sure!

DjOTPmd.jpg

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!