Head Movement Restrictions?

twistking

Hello,

the only big problem i have with the f-5, is that i can't get my FOV and view position to be comfortable.

On the a-10c i just jump into the cockpit, center my trackIR and everything feels perfect, while in the f-5 the "trackIR-experience" never feels comfortable for me.

I think it has to do, with some restriction on how far you can move your head. The problem is, that on my screen i need to get further to some of the gauges and isntruemnts to read them, or i would need a tighter FOV (zoom), which i don't like and try to avoid.

I don't know, if this restricted movement is bug or feature, but i still would like to disable it and have the movement and FOV like they are in the a-10c.

any idea, how i would do that, or any other suggestions much appreciated:)

ok. i understand that, but isn't there a way to deactivate that feature?

to behonest, i think it is bad "game" design, to restrict trackIR head movement, because you obviously cannot feel the seatbelts restriction, which makes you move further and further until the trackIR sensor bugs out.

also i simply cannot read the instruments very well without the extra movement.

at the moment the f-5e is just not very enjoyble for me, because of it.

ok. i understand that, but isn't there a way to deactivate that feature?

Yes .. you can edit the Views.lua file, located in the path Mods\Aircraft\F-5E

change the line: limits_6DOF

the standard values are:

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.05,0.21},y ={-0.10,0.08},z = {-0.19,0.19},roll = 90.000000},

On my case, I have edited them to the following:

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.05,0.45},y ={-0.30,0.10},z = {-0.30,0.30},roll = 90.000000},

X are the limits on your head movement left to right

y are the limits from top to bottom

z are the limits from back to front

Since this file can change whenever DCS is updated, I set mine as a Mod and apply it with a Mod manager.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

the standard values are:

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.05,0.21},y ={-0.10,0.08},z = {-0.19,0.19},roll = 90.000000},

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.05,0.45},y ={-0.30,0.10},z = {-0.30,0.30},roll = 90.000000},

Since this file can change whenever DCS is updated, I set mine as a Mod and apply it with a Mod manager.

:thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 2 weeks later...

[...]

wow, thank you very much, rudel. exactly was i was looking for. i will try to copy paste the numbers from the a-10c, to get a uniform head tracking experience with every aircraft.

could anyone tell me, how i would apply these changes as a mod with a modmanager? i am using the steam version...

if a dev is reading this: i think this movement restrictions are a nice feature, but since it is not optimal for obvious reasons (no haptical feedback) it should be optional, since setting up the desktop, monitor and trackIR for a good head tracking experience can be quite a challenge even without movement restrictions from software.

There also should be global options for default fov and min/max fov, so that you can get the same experience from every aircraft without changing config files.

• 6 months later...

the standard values are:

Thanks heaps for that. I get the whole "strapped in" thing. But it's been doing my head in trying to read any of the dials. Perfect fix.

I'm glad I took a peek here even though I don't own F-5.

Will try editing this views.lua file for the F-86, which also has that damn "Belsimtek-restriction", but for Y-axis.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Actually, I've now learned to put these same lines on a file located on "saved games", rather than on the program it self ... this way it wont impact on the multiplayer's integrity check.

The file is server.lua and you create it by copying it from Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\ into Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Sometime ago I wrote about this in a more detailed form on this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187155

I use this for almost all my modules.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB