Market profit is Terrain but not Jets

Lao Fei Mao

While I think maps are great, I personally don't think they're the most important of our three content types. You buy a jet and you can have a ton of fun learning it and mastering its systems. You buy a map and it's basically a different sandbox than our free sandbox. An amazing looking sandbox, but still a sandbox. You can fly around and look at it, but if you're like me, you either don't have the creativity, knowledge, or the time to make something compelling to do on it.

In my mind, new maps are basically like game consoles. They're an expensive, upfront cost that opens the door to what you actually want, Missions and Campaigns. I don't think a map is worth much without something to do on it and that the financial success of any map is ultimately tied to the amount of content that is generated for it. Not to mention that these extras also increase the value of the planes they are made for.

I don't think a map is worth much without something to do on it and that the financial success of any map is ultimately tied to the amount of content that is generated for it. Not to mention that these extras also increase the value of the planes they are made for.

This.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Converting Nevada to WWII Africa should not be difficult.

Maybe ED should coop with ORBX to create scenery/maps?

Most experienced company.

Only if you won't mind, that the street grid is the same as in Nevada, the only major city is the size and layout of Las Vegas and the elevation grid is the same as Nevada.

There are mods out there that "convert" Caucasus into "Vietnam" and "Afghanistan"...

That is not a new "map", though.

Most of the work for a map is to get, adapt and optimize the elevation grid.

After that basics you need to create layers for lakes, rivers, creeks, major, minor and small streets, population areas, areas of trees and plants.

These layers need to be manually adjusted to match and work on the elevation grid.

Then comes texturing. Needs to match elevation grid as well, needs manual adaption on transition edges or complete "painting" of textures that blend in well, next you do this for multiple(!) LOD layers, and then need to optimize the LOD transition between layers...

Add the development and texturing of all the objects on the map (unless you want to see the same 4 different buildings everywhere), it is nowhere "easy" or "quick to be done".

And as I have very basic knowledge about the whole thing I might have forgotten lots of other important things required to build a new map.

EDIT: they already have a partner that did Normandy (UGRA Media). I guess ORBX developers won't love the idea to learn a complete set of new tools to do their job, as well.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

ED dedicates to develop all kinds of Jets simulator from old era to modern times. But the terrain developing lags quite behind. The caucasus is 10+years old, the Nevada and Normandy is still in Alpha stage. And we might wait another whole year to embrace the DSC World 2.5.....

I just want to say this is quite unwise market strategy. A new jet can only attract a few of players who love the jet. But a new terrain arena could absorb a bunch of players to try their flight in it. No matter casual one or hard core. More terrain, more freshing, more vitality, more profit. Don't just depends on the veteran to buy some classical jets to swell your wallet. And don't estrange the Steam platform. Speed up the terrian developing, Middle-east, Afghanistan, Siberia-Alaska, Korea peninsula, South-east Asia.....

2.5 is around the corner.