FBW and RSS question

Garg0yle

Relaxed Stability primarily, but I think the General Dynamics engineers figured that if you're just feeding a computer a command you don't actually need a big stick in the middle for leverage reasons and went with the futuristic idea of a side stick controller.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Relaxed Stability primarily, but I think the General Dynamics engineers figured that if you're just feeding a computer a command you don't actually need a big stick in the middle for leverage reasons and went with the futuristic idea of a side stick controller.

The F-16 has no "Control Stick" is because in the Viper the computer is all you have. There is no hydraulic backup.

The F-18C (and F-15C) Have FBW controls backed up with mechanical controls.

"If digital DEL fails, a mechanical link (MECH) automatically provides roll and pitch control through a direct mechanical input from the stick to the stabilator actuators."

Quoted from some book...:music_whistling:

So in short they could put the F-16 stick anyplace the wanted to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I have it on good authority that its easier to do some fighter pilot "stuff" when reclined and the stick off to the side... You know, on those long boring flights.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The F-16 has no "Control Stick" is because in the Viper the computer is all you have. There is no hydraulic backup.

The F-18C (and F-15C) Have FBW controls backed up with mechanical controls.

"If digital DEL fails, a mechanical link (MECH) automatically provides roll and pitch control through a direct mechanical input from the stick to the stabilator actuators."

Quoted from some book...:music_whistling:

So in short they could put the F-16 stick anyplace the wanted to.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Did I say anything contrary to the above that needed correcting?

The F-16s stick is called the SSC (Side Stick Controller) hence why I used that name. I'm fully aware that there is no mechanical linkage between the stick and controls. I even mentioned that in my post that you are "Feeding a computer a command".

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I remember when RAAF were deciding whether to replace the Mirage III-O with the F-16 or the F/A-18, so the respective followers of each published plenty of industry development material and technical information about each, strengthening their respective arguments.

I recall one such article discussing the sidestick and seat of the F-16, referencing some design spokesperson or other, describing it as part of the intention of the design to maximise pilot performance in aerial combat, so there were no frames forward in the pilot view orientated bubble canopy and the seating position was for maximum field of view to watch for e/a. The sidestick was because of the seating position and was controversial.

Just to postscript that story, I believe one of the deciding arguments between the types, it was a very close race, RAAF liked the toughened USN landing gear and the way carrier aircraft are designed to be handled suits Oz requirements for a fighter. But the popular argument was the F-16 being viewed as designed primarily for air to air engagements whilst the Hornet was a strike fighter and RAAF wanted a strike role more than a fighter one, from something that could also act like a fighter/interceptor on those rare missions. But I think it was more the landing gear and USN-NA qualities like twin engine reliability for long flights over barren Australian territories.

Edited by vanir