Mission 4 - Seriously?

ebabil

I was able to finish Mission 4 in DCS 2.5.3. (meaning you literally don't have a searchlight), but I have to use some tricks.

SPOILER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

The goal is to be in destination place ASAP when you have still some daylight.

How to achieve this:

Prepare to do many things at the same time, which is:

1. Press Fly (time strarts ticking)

2. IMMEDIATELY start the helicopter. During holding start button you set Radio to INT and call for rearm (I use VAICOM PRO) and leave only front machine guns. Ground crew will tell you several time "What are you doing?" because Huey moves on the deck due to rough sea. It is not the problem. It will get rid of heavy gunners. ALso during startup you change the ADF to Batumi.

3. From this moment you take off ASAP, don't wait for any announcements from copilot.

4. Current OpenBeta is not so restrictive for EGT, so you set your collective at 600 deg. sharp and Fly 120 or alomost 120 knots. I fly 30-50 feet over the rough sea.

5. After setting collective to max allowed value and during flight, turn on the light switch, radar altimeter, lightning, etc. I use Thrustmaster TARGET to map 1 button for all 6 lightning knobs.

6. During flight you will have to keep little bit left rudder, because you are deviated right.

7. From Batumi you follow the road, don't need to fly over refugee camp, you follow the canyon all the time.

8. After some time you meet 3 vehicles which you destroy still during last sunlight.

9. Try to land near the trees just some distance after you killed convoy. I have landed not in proper space, but I didn't have to struggle with wind.

10. Then you have to wait for second Huey, because he was not so fast, maybe 2-5 minutes. I don't remember exactly. When huey arrives it is almost dark.

11. Second huey deploys troops and there is radio transmission about it.

12. You get close to the second huey in ground effect (easier). This time searchlight is a little bit useful. When you land near the huey you are done.

I am looking forward to make this mission again when lightning will be corrected by ED.

Thanks, this was the only way I could do it :beer:

Intel Core i7-8086k@5Ghz / Asus PrimeZ370-A

32GB DDR4 3000Mhz Mem / GTX 1080 Ti / 500GB SSD Int M2 / Samsung U28E590 4k / Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

pffff... I shouldn't be posting at this moment because I'm extremely annoyed right now.... Yet I'm going to do it anyway

As most of you guys, I had to skip mission 4 because it is ridiculously difficult (and imo unrealistic). But then this happened:

So I started mission 4 and directly quit it

At teh debrief screen I selected "End mission"

When back in the campaign selection menu, I selected "OK" (as in, start next mission)

But instead of seeing the briefing for mission 5, I get the briefing for mission 3!

And now I'm stuck at mission 3 :mad:

What the???

Anyone any solution for this?

By the way: Did you guys notice that the Huey windows block/filter the last bit of light that is available. When I stick my head through a window (in VR mode) there's way more visibility... Still not enough for me though...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I suggest to play the campaign as single missions. Thus you can skip broken missions and campaign progress bugs.

You're right. That option didn't come to my mind last night

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...

Hello, any solution for search light in actual beta ? (stuck in th 4th mission)

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

Hello, any solution for search light in actual beta ? (stuck in th 4th mission)

Hi Plon,

Unfortunately, the search light issue is not possible to be fixed through mission design, so in case it's still happening you might want to skip the mission (try the F10 menu option in the first seconds of the mission).

Greg

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

Thanks Greg, will do that !

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

Can the mission be set to an hour or 2 hours early ? I mean you finish mission 3 at around 3:30PM at most..... that would be 4 hours for the fleet to move and organize... plenty of time for an immediate response as it is portrayed to be ?

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 month later...
Can the mission be set to an hour or 2 hours early ? I mean you finish mission 3 at around 3:30PM at most..... that would be 4 hours for the fleet to move and organize... plenty of time for an immediate response as it is portrayed to be ?

Well, if it wasn't for that feeble searchlight, the mission would be enjoyable as it is. I've just skipped it after I crashed looking for

those trucks during the attack

in pitch-dark night. :noexpression:

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 1 month later...

Well, have to skip this one... Could be a lot better, and even realistic if it were set to go down a couple of hours before sunset.

An aircraft without some sort of nightvision equipment, have no business farting around down low in tight mountain valleys, on a pitch black foggy night!

Thats a great reciepe for losing both crew and aircraft.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

• 3 months later...

Has anything happened with this mission of late. I remembered taking off at dusk, getting to Batumi at sunset then following the road using the searchlight. Now It starts in the dark so once I get passed Batumi, how on earth am i supposed navigate through mountains with the searchlight in 2.5.6? Could we ask the dev to have the mission start earlier please?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hey guys, sorry for the late response but our hands are full at the moment with all the projects we are running.

Mission 4 was one of the most challenging mission form the designers perspective and was greatly affected by the lighting changes. We are planning an update in order to make this mission enjoyable again. At the moment we are making adjustments in the time and weather.

You will hear news in few days about this.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, sorry for the late response but our hands are full at the moment with all the projects we are running.

Mission 4 was one of the most challenging mission form the designers perspective and was greatly affected by the lighting changes. We are planning an update in order to make this mission enjoyable again. At the moment we are making adjustments in the time and weather.

You will hear news in few days about this.

Glad to hear it, do you have an ETA ? Can you I just tried doing it and managed to find the airport (I have to admit that I was not going straight nor level, but meh...) But after the entrance of the river with is not missable, it's unflyable with the lights as they are. I don't know how it's supposed to work normally but clearly seeing a tree only when you are less than 10 meter away when you have a spotlight pointing at it is not how it's supposed to be.

Anyway, really like the campaign so far, I find it more engaging than the default one. the only thing that bugs me is that I don't seem to have the breifing page on my pad, contrary to other campaigns (maybe it's because i'm using dcs kneeboard but it works fine for other missions)

i dont find it unplayable, but there is another problem. The cargo at the Airport does not hook. I landet next to it, but the hook button does nothing. Anybody else with the same problem?

btw: great campaign so far!

i dont find it unplayable, but there is another problem. The cargo at the Airport does not hook. I landet next to it, but the hook button does nothing. Anybody else with the same problem?

btw: great campaign so far!

Isn't it another mission you are talking about? (if I remember correctly, nr 8?)

Anyway, picking up cargo by landing and pressing that button, you need to be really close to the cargo.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried this mission a couple of times and it quickly becomes I nightmare. I can tell sky from land but thats about it. I aborted my last attempt after a pylon suddenly loomed out in the searchlight which gives you an idea of how close I must have been to it.

Any update on this Petritis? Even just allowing NVG's until the lighting issues get fixed?

Agree, this mission is impossible for me to do as well. The searchlight is useless.

How can I skip this mission so I can play the rest of the campaign?

This. I'm willing to wait a few days if there's a hotfix coming as intimated nearly two months ago, otherwise, how do I skip?

Hi,

You should see the "Skip Mission" option though the F10 menu during the mission start.

This will get you to the next stage.

Please let me know if this didn't work.

I see other reports that must be related to the latest update so will try to fix asap.

Thanks

Greg

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

OK, I completed 4 after the stable version update with lighting changes. I didn't have to play with the gamma or anything else, everything vanilla, with just enough visibilty to see the trees and valley sides. The spotlight is, still, pretty much useless, but happily, the target vehicle seems to have kept the headlights on so you can still find him after the prompt. And once the spotlight actually lit up a pylon in time for me to avoid it. (But I think I did lose some belly paint to a tree). You can just barely make out the effect of the spot from about 300-400 feet, but you don't need it to follow the road, especially if civilian traffic is present.

As a side note, the instruction to land 'wherever' didn't seem that clear.

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2021 at 7:41 PM, marchamilton said:

have a problem with argo campaign mission 4 in single player buttons have been set for rockets and guns and it all works, i can fire both but in the campaign i cant fire anything is there a helping fix for this please

Hey marchamilton, he is rather strange since the campaign has no effects on players keybinds. 

I will give a go and try to reproduce this issue. 🙂

• 3 months later...