Oculus Rift S vs Regular Oculus

I have both the Rift and the Rift S. I just tried DCS with the Rift S and I'm sad to say that I'm not at all impressed. The Rift S brings back the feel of being in a small go cart, instead of a realistic Jet, this is because you can't adjust the IPD mechanically. The DCS IPD adjustment just doesn't make up for the lack of a mechanical adjuster. Another thing is that it makes moving scenes look like you have tears in your eyes. The picture isn't sharp and it looks like everything is melting or your looking through water. The final nail in the coffin is that it isn't really much better resolution than the original Rift. Oh, and lest I forget...the sound is terrible and takes some immersion away form the game...Sorry...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Good to know. Thank you.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have both the Rift and the Rift S. I just tried DCS with the Rift S and I'm sad to say that I'm not at all impressed. The Rift S brings back the feel of being in a small go cart, instead of a realistic Jet, this is because you can't adjust the IPD mechanically. The DCS IPD adjustment just doesn't make up for the lack of a mechanical adjuster. Another thing is that it makes moving scenes look like you have tears in your eyes. The picture isn't sharp and it looks like everything is melting or your looking through water. The final nail in the coffin is that it isn't really much better resolution than the original Rift. Oh, and lest I forget...the sound is terrible and takes some immersion away form the game...Sorry...

Clearly, if you're not in the sweetspot for IPD, it doesn't look as good. There are a ton of people in the VR forum who are enamored with the upgrade of Rift S. I'm guessing you have a large IPD?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Tbh, my Rift collects dust and I should atually sell it or hand it down to my nephews as even my son, an avid gamer, is not-so-much impressed past the initial "that's great".

Maybe in 5 years again.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Clearly, if you're not in the sweetspot for IPD, it doesn't look as good. There are a ton of people in the VR forum who are enamored with the upgrade of Rift S. I'm guessing you have a large IPD?

I would be among them, been using my Rift S daily since May 24th and absolutely love it. I found it a nice improvement in image quality over Rift CV1.

Agree on the IPD thing though, if one is not in fairly close range to average then Rift S may not be good for them. Mine is 63.5.

Also agree on the sound, I use Klipsch Earbuds and I get fantastic sound with them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I believe my eye doc said my IPD was about 65.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

There is an APP to measure IPD.

EVGA 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA - 99000k - 32gb 3200 14-14-14-34 - ASROK Phantom 9 - EVGA 1300W - 970 EVO Plus 1TB [X2] - Noctua D15 - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 [X8] - Asus PG349q 34" 3440 x 1440 @120hz - Oculus S - EVGA D87 Case

I don't see how software IPD is gonna do a thing for optics. See for example https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-supported-ipd-range-fov-quest-go/

You can see this using the IPD adjustment in DCS, it changes scale -- it can make you feel like a midget, or a giant -- but it doesn't make the image any clearer. Either you're looking through the sweet spot or you're not.

That said, since I have strabismus, I'd rather have the z axis adjustment, I think.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I also have both. I have had the opposite experience to the original poster in every aspect.

That's the thing, 50% of this is a matter of perception and can't be measured or reproduced with someone else's "eyes".

Like a dish, some like it, some don't. Arguing about it can be complicated when taste and perception come into play.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I prefer my old Rift compared to the Rift S.

How do I eliminate the water effect with my S?

How do I eliminate the water effect with my S?

maybe better to ask under the VR subthread in INPUT and OUTPUT thread?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Just for your information, I just talked to my eye doc and he said that IDP can be different depending on far vision and near vision glasses or bifocals. For example, he said my far IPD is 67.5 and my near vision if 64.5. I hope this clears up everyone's confusion over this subject...;)

The Rift S is a game changer for me. The standard Rift's resolution was just too low for me to do anything other than tool around enjoying the field of view and depth perception. Gauges/digital displays were unreadable. Distant aircraft could not be spotted. Near aircraft were too pixelated to properly identify or judge attitude. Playing on the original Rift was similar to playing at either 640x480 or 800x600 on a flat panel.

The Rift S feels like 1024x768: still well behind what I prefer and really need for combat missions, but a huge step forward. Gauges and displays look markedly better. Visual detection ranges are noticeably better. I can judge attitude at much more reasonable ranges. But identification is still pretty difficult. I used to spent 50/50 time between flying Rift and flat panel. With the Rift S, I am more like 75% Rift S/25% flat panel. I also like the fit and feel of the Rift S. I wear glasses and with the Rift, my glasses were being pushed onto the bridge of my nose too hard, which would limit the time I could fly to about an hour before I needed a break from the pain, comparable to a bad headache. With the Rift S, I don't feel any pressure. I can fly much longer without taking a break.

My only real problems with the Rift S have been with the audio: the open-air headset is comfortable, but has much lower volume unless you cup your hands over your ears; and the mic intermittently stops working and can only be fixed by unplugging the USB port.

But as far as the graphics go, they look great to me compared to the original Rift and the IPD seems to match perfectly, so I don't even have to adjust it.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The IPD doesn't change how large the world looks, it only adjust your depth perception that how accurately you can visually estimate a distance of something.

If you close one eye, the world doesn't go magically larger or smaller. You just lose the depth perception that you have learn to use from child and you would need to learn to use just one eye for depth perception if you would lose other eye.

If you look with one eye closed through the VR HDM and you see a world scale is changing when you adjust a IPD, then the IPD adjustment is wrongly implemented as nothing in the world should change in scale when IPD is changed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ask him, he must know :pilotfly:

pirate_me_photo_editor.thumb.jpeg.8504a557114ee6234c4a025a170b2cf3.jpeg

Edited by BitMaster

http://www.kholdstare.github.io/technical/2013/10/06/sense-of-scale-vr.html

The IPD doesn't change how large the world looks, it only adjust your depth perception that how accurately you can visually estimate a distance of something.

If you close one eye, the world doesn't go magically larger or smaller. You just lose the depth perception that you have learn to use from child and you would need to learn to use just one eye for depth perception if you would lose other eye.

If you look with one eye closed through the VR HDM and you see a world scale is changing when you adjust a IPD, then the IPD adjustment is wrongly implemented as nothing in the world should change in scale when IPD is changed.

Might want to at least try adjusting software "ipd" before you make your pronouncement. I think visual cues are likely more important than depth perception for estimating the size or distance of an object, so you're right there, but that's not the same as saying that convergence has no effect at all on perception of size. Try it.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

http://www.kholdstare.github.io/technical/2013/10/06/sense-of-scale-vr.html

Might want to at least try adjusting software "ipd" before you make your pronouncement. I think visual cues are likely more important than depth perception for estimating the size or distance of an object, so you're right there, but that's not the same as saying that convergence has no effect at all on perception of size. Try it.

Converge adjustment is the world size adjustment.

IPD had very specific meaning, it is not about world scale.

You can play this even with prisms in real world and the world doesn't become smaller or larger how you change the separation.

The IPD adjustment is to get eyes focusing correctly at given distance as learn to see it, not to change world size (magnification in field of view).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm discovering that there's a big difference between how both Oculus headsets perform in Win 7 vs Win10. They both suffer at anything more than the lowest game settings in Win10 with very noticeable video distortion. My Rift S doesn't work at all in Windows 7, but my CV1 has no problem at the highest game settings in Windows 7... smooth frame rates and all. For those who have too much blurriness in CV1, try moving it around your face. It has to sit on the right spot and adjustments maybe necessary...I didn't find Rift S to be that noticeably sharper...

Oculus Rift S vs Regular Oculus

I didn't find Rift S to be that noticeably sharper...

i get that everyone’s different, but your experience is the exception to the rule. myself and everyone i know who’s tried the S says it’s noticeably sharper. you can actually see and read text with it.

i get that everyone’s different, but your experience is the exception to the rule. myself and everyone i know who’s tried the S says it’s noticeably sharper. you can actually see and read text with it.

I can do that with the CV1 already!