biggest gripes with flying offline

birdstrike

well, i am mainly an online player, but as the one and only populated server is offline for ww2 currently, and there is just nothing to do online for us ww2 guys, i gave some self made dogfight missions a try again, and see whether i can get some fun out of it....

well...

its frustrating to say at least.

not because the AI uses a different FM, and not because they always follow the same stupid dogfight logics...but because

1) they are insane sharpshooters even when setting their skill level to minimum. its a bad joke really.

and

2)they usually prefer to follow the human player, totally ignoring enemy AI fighters. so with a mission with lets say 20 vs 20 fighters in the air, you have good chances, that like half of the enemy fighters stay on your six, ignoring the other threads around. looks absolutely ludicrous

dont get me wrong, there are many more issues with the AI, but really, if they could finally fix those two items, i could imagine to enjoy offline flying from time to time.

I can't say that I've noticed being singled out by AI. There's a mission that comes with the Spitfire called Battle of the Lake, that I modded to also use the P-51. I've flown it many times in Spitfire and Mustang, an never had the feeling that I was singled out.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Oh, the AI definitely singles out the player. I've observed this dozens of times.

As for shooting, the AI can snipe you beautifully head-on, but it has a hell of a time with a simple deflection shot from the rear-quarter.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I think I got sniped head-on exactly one time. Since then, if the mission starts with a head-on pass I jink a bit to the side and start pulling up (in the P-51). I've never had an AI hit me like that, nor put any great effort into attempting to do so.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think I got sniped head-on exactly one time. Since then, if the mission starts with a head-on pass I jink a bit to the side and start pulling up (in the P-51). I've never had an AI hit me like that, nor put any great effort into attempting to do so.

Try it on vertical.. a head-on that is..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

OMG I wish I knew how to get ED to make replay work, not only that it "works", but that it would work the way PLAYERS/USERS could use it the the greatest advantage, basically the same way TacView works, only in 3D, and with scrolling forwards and backwards.

Play a Tacview recording with DCS Replay

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler