Why did my thread close?

kaboki

Ending with a line we are working on dedicated servers, my question was aimed at communety run server like blue flag, pheonix, agg cold war etc running on beta branch. Did i offend ED in some way? Was a legit question on why splitting the communety, again, into 2 branches. Not EDs fault but the communety refusing to use stable for some odd reason.

These servers kinda represent the best of mp has to offer in DCS, its a shame to hide them for new users coming into DCS and that may never frquent the forums to realise what it has to offer.

Edited by kaboki

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

Every new feature is going to go through the beta branch in order to clean it up before moving it to the stable branch. Splitting up the community has nothing to do with anything. If you are willing to accept bugs then use the beta version. If they release a buggy feature into the stable version, they are going to lose customers with a low tolerance for bugs.

How was that a question?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

The problem is that it is forcing all of these people to be beta testers on their servers. But, that seems to be the choice of the majority these days. They would rather have the newest rather then what is most reliable (And yes, sometimes Beta is more stable, that is a good thing and will generally get moved to release version when that is established, the way the process was intended to begin with).

This unfortunately leaves out the people who are not interested in beta testing or to new people who have no idea what is going on and where the action is.

As part of the team that runs BlueFlag - we like to run the openbeta to help with testing and bug finding.

Many bugs only appear under high load so they're hard to catch in closed testing.

We also want to give hornet drivers the latest features as soon as possible.

When we run an official round we generally try to stay on stable.

Now switching between open beta and release is very easy we don't see it as a massive issue although I take your point that new users won't necessarily see our server!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

ED could change the "new player" issue by showing the beta servers in the stable server browser. Maybe they just didn't think about that. I had the same experience as well and wondered where all the servers went suddenly. I guess I was lucky that the stable version was the "better" version when I first installed dcs.

ED could change the "new player" issue by showing the beta servers in the stable server browser. Maybe they just didn't think about that.

ED recently made a crystal clear statement about the purpose of stable and beta versions (see below).

The last thing they want is showing "beta" servers to "stable" users.

Speaking of Open Beta and Release versions, we currently operate two versions of DCS World, the Open Beta version and the Release version (many fewer versions than before!). Because DCS World is a “living” project that changes daily, it’s possible for a project-wide bug to worm itself in and make the game unplayable for all. To prevent this and add a level of protection, we adopted Open Beta and Release versions.

Most every two weeks (sometimes more with hotfixes) we create a new Open Beta version that comprises the changes from the prior two weeks. Although this first goes through both internal and closed-external testing, it is possible for errors to slip through. In this case, the Open Beta is utilized to identify a “blocking” bug that prevents all customers from playing the game (not just customers of a single module). For those that take part in the Open Beta, we greatly appreciate it and thank you for your testing efforts. If a “blocking bug” is present in the Open Beta, we always have the Release version available. This is why the Release version is sometimes called the Stable version.

As such, the Open Beta version is for us to “field-test” new changes and check for any DCS-wide “Blocking” crashes, and the Release version is the result of the previous Open Beta that does not suffer any “Blocks.” As with Early Access, Open Beta is an option and may not be for everyone.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Dude, you'd need to ask that from NineLine and not from us. It may have been some kind of a misunderstanding. Just send a PM that's framed in friendly and neutral terms... of course you do so at your own risk.

In any case opening new threads when the previous one was closed is not a smart move, esp. if the moderator already has any reason to be annoyed.

The last thing they want is showing "beta" servers to "stable" users.

The stable client would not be able to connect (I guess unless both are the same version which then makes it all a non-issue). And I guess the beta servers would be clearly labelled as such.

Would be a way to help people on stable to find out they need to get to beta to play MP.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Would be a way to help people on stable to find out they need to get to beta to play MP.
People do not necessarily "need" to get the beta to play MP. My friends and I regularly play MP using the stable version (we host our own server) and we're happy about it.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I'm not allowed to comment on moderation, but my post on that thread that was locked disappeared for being "Off Topic" because I stated I was looking for "a Stable version" when I meant "the Stable version" because as per ED, there is "release version" and OB and the nomenclature of the two versions is quite misleading because people get tied up on words and meanings, and honestly, if you follow OB there are few occasions when you have to roll back and mostly trouble occurs on newer features. If anything OB is just as stable as release. There are no real differences in stability, just features, in actual practice. Enough so that server admins can feel inclined to use it and most of the time go with it. The most notable things have been controller binding issues that have made the most user impact.

I personally (just me) imagine the thread was locked to stop it descending into a war of words and definitions, to answer the OP. but then we are all skirting around this discussion of discussing moderation, and that is one of the forums cornerstone rules that is forbidden.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *