DCS Won't Run In VR Mode After Oculus Update

Chopper A-10

Yesterday, the 4th of October, Oculus updated their software to Version 1.31.0

When they did this (my machine was set to receive updates automatically) now DCS will not run in VR mode. My monitor acts like it is running VR, but the googles are dead.

A friend asked Oculus about the effect to DCS and their response was:

Ezekiel (Oculus Support)

Oct 5, 10:00 AM PDT

Hey Joseph,

I understand that you are having an issue using some apps.

You will want to go to Settings > General in the desktop app for Oculus Home and make sure that "Unknown Sources" is turned on, and this needs to be on to use any app not on Oculus Home

Aside from the above option, Oculus does not provide support 3rd Party Apps, so if apps on Oculus Home are working correctly there isn't any troubleshooting I can offer.

Please let me know whether or not you have further questions.

Regards,

Ezekiel

Oculus Support

So now the only was we have been able to run DCS in VR mode is to first start the OculusClient.exe program, have it running in the background and then start DCS in VR mode.

This is what had to be done in P3D . . moving over to DCS is was nice not to have Oculus running in the background (to save every PC memory resources possible).

So now that Oculus made changes, will it be possible for DCS to make changes to bring us back to normal?

I thought with the number of VR users that this would be all over the internet and this forum, but I haven't seen anything on it.

I know if it's possible that ED will update their end to support Oculus's changes.

This is not a BUG, a complaint, a huge problem, but wanted to see if ED has also experienced this issue.

Thanks in advance for all of your efforts,

Chopper

i7-7700K 4.20Ghz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti DUKE | ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 | Samsung 960 | Corsair CPU Cooler | G.SKILL 32GB | Oculus VR Rift | Saitek PRO Pedals & TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle & Joystick |

Apparently you were on the old Classic Oculus Home?

The Rift Core 2.0 / Dash that is now rolling out to everyone does have to be open for the Rift to display in VR.

When mine opens I just minimize it on the desktop and launch DCS. ( I have been on the beta of Rift Core 2.0 /Dash for several months.

The older Classic Home is going away.

It is not a DCS thing, but an Oculus thing.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks Don B . . . I have many friends with this issue as of yesterday . . I guess we only use Oculus for DCS . . . that's why it kind of took us back . . . I for one don't ever go to the Home Page in Oculus . . I also have never seen anything, here are any place else that said you must have Oculus running in the background. My DCS VR icon was the only thing I've had to open in almost two years now.

This was required by P3D and Flyinside . . but never for me with DCS,

Thanks again!

i7-7700K 4.20Ghz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti DUKE | ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 | Samsung 960 | Corsair CPU Cooler | G.SKILL 32GB | Oculus VR Rift | Saitek PRO Pedals & TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle & Joystick |

Thanks Don B . . . I have many friends with this issue as of yesterday . . I guess we only use Oculus for DCS . . . that's why it kind of took us back . . . I for one don't ever go to the Home Page in Oculus . . I also have never seen anything, here are any place else that said you must have Oculus running in the background. My DCS VR icon was the only thing I've had to open in almost two years now.

This was required by P3D and Flyinside . . but never for me with DCS,

Thanks again!

Yeah unfortunately unless Oculus gives the ability back to not launch Home and still display in the Rift, this is how it will be.

I would encourage anyone not happy with this change, to click on the " submit feedback" option in the new Oculus Home app ( from desktop) and let them know. Who knows maybe if they get enough negative feedback they might do something.

Personally for me, it does not bother me - but I have been using it like this now for quite some time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Using Skatezillas DCS updater and linking the Oculus software in that did it for me

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oculus 1.31 issues fix help

Using Skatezillas DCS updater and linking the Oculus software in that did it for me

Hi,

That is great news. I am a noob and took a look at Skatezillas updater software. I looks very daunting so.......

Would you walk me through you steps in linking the Oculus software to DCS?

I really don't want to screw up......lol

Thanks

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

The reddit link above says Oculus completely closes home 2.0 when a game runs in VR, so it should not impact DCS in VR right?

It keeps a little in ram.

I have been running the Rift Core 2.0/Dash for many months with the Beta, and have been participating in the Public Test Channel during that time also.

I have not been able to see any noticeable performance difference for me.

There are others though that say they do.

Anyone not happy with the change, should click on the "submit feedback" in the Oculus desktop app and express their feelings on it.

Maybe the more complaints they get through that channel they might reconsider this move.

Don B

Hi folks,

I assume for most of you guys it is too late to go back to older OCULUS-App-Versions.

But there might be some of you which are still on 1.30 or similar versions.

Background: After some talking to the Oculus support crew they told me that the support for Windows 7 will die someday.

Thus I used my Windows Firewall to block all outgoing and incoming traffic for all oculus modules in order to avoid any update and pray that they haven't implemented a date checker or such mad things.

So far the RIFT works fine with DCS, and I want it to work as long as possible.

I don't spend a second anymore thinking about automatic updates which I cannot stop.

I REALLY HATE AUTOMATIC UPDATES, it remembers me of Windows 10.

After 30 years using computers I got totally sick of this f.... s... , and I can't find words how sick I am of it.

Here is what you have to block for outgoing and incoming traffic.

oculus_firewall_blockage.thumb.PNG.27b9352c72e5942fbb94fc3fc96158ff.PNG

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

This really sucks. I spent all day troubleshooting and banging my head against the wall with this problem, thinking something was wrong with my setup. Now I know why my HMD is black until I start OHome before DCS. Unbelievable the crap that gets forced down the customer's throats!!!

Ran DCS for well over a year without home in the background!

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ran DCS for well over a year without home in the background!

erm ... how did you do that? I thought it is a must ... since on my machine the Oculus App runs always as it comes up automatically when starting DCS :huh:

edit: furthermore if i close Oculus App, it warns me that all running VR apps will close. If I then close the Oculus App, DCS is closed too.

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

FFS, came home from work (frustated) wanted to kill some bandits and now i have to deal with this crap.

Even steam VR wont start without Oculus home. So now we have to run both oculus an steam VR to play a steam VR game.

Anyways thanks for this topic it probably saved me alot of time

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

erm ... how did you do that? I thought it is a must ... since on my machine the Oculus App runs always as it comes up automatically when starting DCS :huh:

edit: furthermore if i close Oculus App, it warns me that all running VR apps will close. If I then close the Oculus App, DCS is closed too.

Awhile ago I learned of the "run as administrator" trick whiched worked fine until I recently. It bypasses Oculus Home so that it doesn't load.

I ran into another unrelated problem on my PC, so I uninstalled the Oculus software and did a fresh reinstall.

This gave me the current version, which apparently no longer allow the "trick" to work.

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awhile ago I learned of the "run as administrator" trick whiched worked fine until I recently. It bypasses Oculus Home so that it doesn't load.

I ran into another unrelated problem on my PC, so I uninstalled the Oculus software and did a fresh reinstall.

This gave me the current version, which apparently no longer allow the "trick" to work.

I am not joking now, but what would happen if you copy my current 1.31 folder over your folder (lets say for "testing purposes"). Just thinking ... :music_whistling:

my computer:

" Run as Administrator" trick will not work in 1.31.

I have been running Rift Core 2.0/Dash on the Public Test Channel for last several months, they did away with this trick - either intentional or unintentional - some time ago for Rift Core 2.0.

Don B

I am putting this here so maybe some one can tell me why this is so.I tried to use DCS no oculus home as a test I know you cant play without it on but you can load it and get head movement on opening screen if you move it around without head in HM goggles. Funny thing I get 175 FPS that way when Oculus home is running its only 90??.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I am putting this here so maybe some one can tell me why this is so.I tried to use DCS no oculus home as a test I know you cant play without it on but you can load it and get head movement on opening screen if you move it around without head in HM goggles. Funny thing I get 175 FPS that way when Oculus home is running its only 90??.

I am very interested in an increase of frame rate, and since I simply didn't get your strategy described (maybe its because I cannot read English language), can you please explain a little more in detail?

Thanks a lot!!

TOViper

my computer:

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. Only blackscreen in my headset since Oculus update. I dont like facebook...

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

Same issue here. Only blackscreen in my headset since Oculus update. I dont like facebook...

Are you using the old trick of setting Oculus to " Run as Administrator" to keep Oculus Home from launching?

If so that is your problem, that does not work any more.

Don B

No i´m not using this trick anymore. Good to know that it´s not working again. I haven´t played DCS for a longer time and now suddenly i can´t run it with Oculus (only black screen inside HMD). The only thing that changed in the system since last play was the automatic update of Oculus Home. Now i can only start DCS with Oculus Home in background, which is really annoying and not good for the performance too. Hope there will be a solution...

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

No i´m not using this trick anymore. Good to know that it´s not working again. I haven´t played DCS for a longer time and now suddenly i can´t run it with Oculus (only black screen inside HMD). The only thing that changed in the system since last play was the automatic update of Oculus Home. Now i can only start DCS with Oculus Home in background, which is really annoying and not good for the performance too. Hope there will be a solution...

Can you clarify what you mean by "Now i can only start DCS with Oculus Home in background" ?

And only black screen on HMD?

Can you run DCS at all or is it always black screen in HMD?

If it is always black screen, is the light in the Rift orange or white?

Don B

Last year i made an additional desktop icon for VR with "P:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR.

When starting with the standard icon i can play with only my monitor as usual.

If starting with the created VR-icon the Oculus HMD stays black but you can still see the little VR-resolution-screen on the monitor so DCS World is running but not displayed in the Oculus.

But when starting Oculus Home and then DCS directly out of Oculus Home or with the additional created VR-icon, everything is shown again inside the Oculus HMD. But i don´t want to run Oculus software in the background because of resources...

:book:

Last year i made an additional desktop icon for VR with "P:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR.

When starting with the standard icon i can play with only my monitor as usual.

If starting with the created VR-icon the Oculus HMD stays black but you can still see the little VR-resolution-screen on the monitor so DCS World is running but not displayed in the Oculus.

But when starting Oculus Home and then DCS directly out of Oculus Home or with the additional created VR-icon, everything is shown again inside the Oculus HMD. But i don´t want to run Oculus software in the background because of resources...

Not much we can do beside sending oculus some feedback.

But I don't think they would listen anyway.

They have already proven to be very intrusive,

since you need to be connected to the oculus network in order for the rift to work.

If their connection is down you can't even use the rift (which happend before).

And now since the last update, the oculus home crap. :huh:

Edited by kurtz667
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2