Choosing the right Aircraft - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varis View Post
It's a bit funny since back in the day, planes like Mig-29, the 2000, and Viggen were thought of as multirole fighters, the name of JAS Viggen even explicitly states that it's for the three main branches of the jet air arm (the third one being reconnaissance). Perhaps ED didn't implement them as such, though some players claim that the ground attack capabilities of 2000 are grossly underestimated by the community.
The keyword in my comment was "true multirole aircraft".

The MiG-29 is indeed a true multirole aircraft IRL, but I don't know about it in DCS because it's just an FC3 aircraft which I don't fly.

The Mirage 2000C isn't really a multirole aircraft as its A-G capabilities are somewhat limited. That's the reason why there is a dedicated A-G variant IRL, the Mirage 2000D.

It's similar with the Viggen. Their aircraft itself is not really a multirole aircraft, but it has different variants for the different roles: The JA37 is a fighter with very limited A-G capabilities and the AJ37 is a a striker with very limited A-A capabilities.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #22
Wexler

For me,

it is definetly L-39C/ZA with Kursant Campaign. It opened quite a lot of new ways for me. In VR, it is absolutely brutal feeling. I will take it after from start with mig 15 to last gen.
Wexler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #23
Eldur

Quote:
Not to mention the variable swept wing which is likely to be unique in DCS for years to come.

[...]

Edit: Mig-23 is on the roadmap so the F-14 is not the only variable wing option. It's probably way more fun though; the Mig-23 wouldn't be my first choice for air combat, the performance is possibly somewhat better for ground attack.
Well you forgot the Tornado IDS Heatblur is going to do after the 'cat
Obvious obviousness is obvious (swing wing, 2 seater, dedicated AI for 2nd guy in the 'pit, thrust reverser, AG radar, terrain avoidance mode, proper submunitions dispensing, Recce tech like signal recording jammer pods and TARPS, anti ship missiles, road base tech)

Quote:
[...] though some players claim that the ground attack capabilities of 2000 are grossly underestimated by the community.
Well at the moment the Mirage is definately more capable than the Hornet in some regards. It has guns that hit at slant ranges greater than a knife's length, and they're packing 30mm of punch. And you can throw LGBs with some buddy lasing

But in general to the OP, I'd also recommend getting stick time in the Hornet and then the Tomcat, eventually do the same with the Mirage at some point and later go buy the Viggen and the Harrier if you want some better AG stuff without going as slow as an A-10 or Ka-50

Last edited by Eldur; 10-25-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote