P-51 D mismatch - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #51
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
In case the advice helps : trim to turn helps a lot, though it prohibits fast reaction, but you can follow anyone at any speed (perhaps not Spits) with proper trimming.

You got it! Trim nose down for continuous level flight, but when you're engaging, trim up again and just hold the stick forward if you're going fast. That way you'll be able to reach critical AoA/max G.

I'm pretty sure that's how real 109 pilots did it.

AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1070, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS w/ Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller in place of crappy original electronics

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #52
DefaultFace

It's usually more trouble than its worth in dogfights. I think Walter Schuck mentioned in his book that he used it in a dogfight once but who knows how common it was.

It's use causes much rage on other forums where some people think it gives the 109 an unfair advantage in the game.

In DCS you're really just better off chopping the throttle and slowing down a bit than playing with the stabilizer.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #53
Whisper

Actually, I didn't exactly test & compare, but seeing how "trim" works in a 109 and in DCS, trimming when your controls are locked should permit you to reach more G and better turn :
DCS simulate controls lock-up at high speed by cutting the max deflection possible on the stabilizer axis, ie past some point, pulling the stick more does asbolutely nothing anymore.
The 109 Stabilizer trims doesn't move actual stabilizer "more", which would be cut by the DCS lock-up implementation, but it moves the whole stab. Which ends up adding to the stab movement induced by the stick, so you should have more authority....
To be tested, gut feelings tell me that using trim makes for tighter turns at high speed.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #54
DefaultFace

Yes it certainly does, as it should. But usually doing this causes more problems than the extra little bit of G for a few seconds helps you.

If you trim tail heavy into the turn then you lose all ability to push the nose down, or in extreme cases even just fly straight. Considering the way most pilots in dcs tend to either on purpose or by accident use backflips, cartwheels or just wild pushing of the stick against the instrument panel as their go to evasive maneuvers you end can't react fast enough to change direction with them.

You also lose alot of feeling for how far you can pull without stalling if you use the trim. It takes different stick deflection depending on where the trim is set. Especially in high G turns you bleed speed so quickly that it is very easy to stall the airplane suddenly, which cancels out any advantage you may have gotten from using the trim in the first place. When I fly Mustang I notice alot of people doing this. They pull like crazy in the 109 and it works because of the stick forces for a bit, but then as it gets slower they stall, the wings waggle and they are a sitting duck.

Its much smarter in the 109 to just pull the power out a bit, maybe add some flaps or reduce prop pitch for some drag and tighten the turn like this than playing with the trim. Mostly the trim would only help above 400-450 kmh anyway (unless server lag is making stick forces at 300kmh again). Most turning dogfights get slow very fast, where the trim is not useful anymore.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote