Guppy's Simpit

Guppy

Hey All,

I figured I would start a thread on the simpit I'm working on. It's been a few months of sketches, trials and errors. At the end of the day I realized I needed to teach myself 3D CAD; 1) to be able to build accurately what I was going for and 2) to ensure my measurements made sense.

The end result has been quite impressive for me. I did not imagine it would come together this well. I've attached some photos of the most recent progress. I'll keep this thread up-to-date as things continue to progress.

I am inspired by the f-18 and it is important to me that I have the ability to run 3 MFDs... but it is not my goal to have a 1:1 replica. I need it to be able to be used for other jets, too. So I have that in mind as I continue to build additional instruments/panels (A-10c, FC3, etc).

Here are my CAD mockups. I used Fusion 360, it's free for hobbyists:

3d.jpg.0cf33750c90c59ca7ef39d0b41bf9cfb.jpg

parts.thumb.jpg.018d615a380db341cb6951d0d0def0d3.jpg

I'm using 1/2" MDF so I wanted to get the screens as close to the front Cougar MFDs as possible. So I had some material removed so they would fit perfectly.

screens.jpg.15bf77f6510612f8dc59b29ddee85ec9.jpg

Here she is, unpainted:

cockpit2.jpg.b581eff9b5bc09ca506379f15efdea50.jpg

cockpit3.thumb.jpg.2afdf68f0d5c57948dee15c825cc24dd.jpg

I enjoy many other games, too. So my PC is setup to easily switch between 1)flight sim and 2) general PC use/Non-sim games.

cockpit1.jpg.2925397fb4aa082d9cea5338ad82c581.jpg

I hope you all enjoy!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, how do you switch from one to the other?

Change USB a to USB b...connect monitor a, b, c ........ reboot...etc

I am asking as its a similar problem Im thinking, I will only have 1 PC but I probably use other games more than DCS?

Nice, how do you switch from one to the other?

Change USB a to USB b...connect monitor a, b, c ........ reboot...etc

I am asking as its a similar problem Im thinking, I will only have 1 PC but I probably use other games more than DCS?

Nothing needs to be disconnected. You just go into Windows and select the monitors you want to enable. As far as USB devices, everything stays connected, all the time - I have a bunch of powered USB strips to drive all of the peripherals.

looks good!

do you add switches and displays to this setup as well?

Yes, some of my pictures show the displays being set up in the back. Toggle switches, buttons etc, will be added after I get the screens working and the unit painted.

Quality work Guppy and all in such a compact way. Thanks for sharing.

Can you post a shot of you in DCS?

Thank you! It's been months of planning. I will get my wife to take a few pics tonight. I am putting some panel covers (painted foam board) over the currently unused panel slots.

nice' date=' what kind of displays did you use there?[/quote']

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Input-LCD-Controller-Board-8-800x600-EJ080NA-05A-AT080TN52-LCD-Screen/201001584366?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Here are some updated pics with the displays working with DCS:

a1.jpg.f22b20c539dc84908bd1d4020bdd18d1.jpg

a2.jpg.27caf604be8b9935afa81b63a98f05d6.jpg

a3.jpg.539bd0b021b81d3d9c0f37cc288cd8ab.jpg

The compactness of this is great. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you think will be the total cost by the time you have it finished?

Thank you!

Not counting the many failed attempts/materials trying to do the cuts myself... :lol:

It cost $300 to get those panels cut for me. However, the amount of 3D design, measuring and all that jazz was probably 80 hours of work. Painting, building, etc: additional 10 hours. I had to teach myself 3D CAD... If I were to do this all over again it would be much faster.

Looking sweet. I hope you actually take the time to enjoy using the setup. I can remember one of the other people here having spent years perfecting their cockpit setup only to completely abandon it in favor of VR with just a stick, throttle, rudder pedals, keyboard, and mouse.

If I ever get as far as you have, I will learn to use the pit blind folded by a VR headset before I ever give up and sell it. They simply look and feel too cool to be replaced by grabbing at the air with virtual hands :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think VR is great, but it would be even cooler with some integrated AR. Basically, have your sim pit at least somewhat visible while in the head set. The sense of presence in VR is hard to beat. The dual/triple projector setups with 180-270 degree screens seems like it could get close though.

My idea isn't to have the simpit visible, but to have the desired controls physically placed so that their position in VR is as close as possible to their position in the real world. Of course, this only works for one particular aircraft variant, but it would be awesome.

I am thinking that a generic cockpit with adjustments for seat position in the horizontal, vertical and recline angle combined with similar adjustments for the front and side consoles could be transformed into any aircraft with "snap in" consoles and front panels. All the wiring should be on the panels with only a connector of some sort to connect the panels to the appropriate USB control board(s). To do it right, the stick and throttle need to float around as necessary relative to the panel(s) and seat. While I don't have specific parts in mind, I can see this whole thing clearly in my head allowing me to transform a home pit into any aircraft I want in minutes as long as I know the position settings needed and have pre-wired panels ready to slide and/or plug in.

The key is coming up with reliable, sturdy mechanisms for adjusting the position of everything. Some sort of slide rails that can support weight and be locked at almost any position. Imagine a console that can be elevated as necessary at the four corners to produce any height and angle required to allow the plug in module to replicate the position and angles of the real aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My idea isn't to have the simpit visible, but to have the desired controls physically placed so that their position in VR is as close as possible to their position in the real world. Of course, this only works for one particular aircraft variant, but it would be awesome.

I am thinking that a generic cockpit with adjustments for seat position in the horizontal, vertical and recline angle combined with similar adjustments for the front and side consoles could be transformed into any aircraft with "snap in" consoles and front panels. All the wiring should be on the panels with only a connector of some sort to connect the panels to the appropriate USB control board(s). To do it right, the stick and throttle need to float around as necessary relative to the panel(s) and seat. While I don't have specific parts in mind, I can see this whole thing clearly in my head allowing me to transform a home pit into any aircraft I want in minutes as long as I know the position settings needed and have pre-wired panels ready to slide and/or plug in.

The key is coming up with reliable, sturdy mechanisms for adjusting the position of everything. Some sort of slide rails that can support weight and be locked at almost any position. Imagine a console that can be elevated as necessary at the four corners to produce any height and angle required to allow the plug in module to replicate the position and angles of the real aircraft.

I had a similar dream as well. I would be nice if you could have a default view setting in VR as well, as right now, I keep having to adjust my view in the A-10C in particular to get it looking right. I think it has you 'leaning' forward to see the HUD better, so you have to reposition yourself each time to sit back properly.

I would be nice if you could have a default view setting in VR as well, as right now, I keep having to adjust my view in the A-10C in particular to get it looking right. I think it has you 'leaning' forward to see the HUD better, so you have to reposition yourself each time to sit back properly.

There are two options for changing the default view.

1) You can use the appropriate key combinations to change the view up/down, forward/back, and left/right, then save the change all while in the game sitting on the runway or flying level.

2) You can edit the files for the particular aircraft.

The first option is the best way to get the job done. You can rough it in with the num pad keys, then open the user snap view file to manually edit the values used to determine the view position.

I use the in-game pilot body on aircraft where it is available to help position my view to a realistic point, then save it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Prety neat setup you have gotten there @rudellj :thumbup: What kind of controller do you have in the top of the centre pedistal ?

Looking forward for more photos Sir.

Cheers

Hans

Thank you! Right now it's just a bluetooth mini keyboard from amazon. Eventually it will be a UFC like in the hornet.

In the A-10c I have my keyboard strokes (abc123...) programmed to the CDU.

I have a similar goal for a uh-1h.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 2 months later...

Some updates I'm planning to make in the next month or so:

1) I've decided I need more external displays. Currently I have 3x8" displays. that only display the DDIs and AMPCD. I will be upgrading to 10" displays for the L/R DDI. This will allow me to utilize additional real estate to display more stuff on the front Console. Pics below

2) The 2 displays I used previously for the DDIs will be moved to the lower part of the console to display gauges and IFEI

3) I gave up on designing and building a physical UFC. So I'm, using an 8" touchscreen. I like this idea over a physical UFC because I can use this display for other A/C as they get released.

4) Race car bed (IE: Sides/enclosure): My wife calls the overall look a race car bed... ha. But overall I am building the sides/panels.

4a) Left side: I've already preordered the Mongoose T-50 Throttle. I plan for this to be my main throttle that I use. My old TM WH Throttle I plan to actually remove the throttle assembly and just keep the base for switches, etc. Eventually I might plan to build my own panel with switches, but until then....

4)b Right side: I use my iPad alot. I use it as a scratch pad to quickly write things down. Chucks Guides, etc. Additionally my mouse/pad will be located here.

5) Not seen: TM TPR Peddles. (This is quite the expensive simpitting year)

I've enclosed some pics. Orange rectangles are the actual displays.

pure.thumb.jpg.6ce68e3f4c6bf820bf2dae54a34f267b.jpg

setup3.thumb.jpg.47f93b921c288efbb031344e0a3de6d6.jpg

setup2.thumb.jpg.9352e91802732d300e4026420de6b605.jpg

setup4.thumb.jpg.701135dedf8a8f133f05f9908a845389.jpg

Edited by Guppy

• 2 weeks later...