Why can't I destroy tanks with CBU-97

Hoggorm

As the topic sais: I struggle with the CBU-97 (and other CBU variants) against armored targets.

Normally I would use GBU or Mavericks against tanks when selecting weapons myself, however I see that JTACs tends to request CBUs if I carry them.

1 - I've entered the wind informed to me by the JTAC, however I still seem to miss when bombing in CCRP mode. I do not change any other settings except changing from CCIP to CCRP.

2 - Is it possible to take out several targets with one bomb? Is this why JTAC seem to request them?

Thanks for helping.

What is your HOF setting on your CBU's I normally keep mine at 500 and I usually only drop them (97's) in CCIP. Also in my exp I have found that at least on T-80's it takes 2 CBU's to kill it. or 1 CBU and a gun run. T-72's and below can be killed by 1 CBU. and if you line your ingress up right along with wind dir you can kill at least 2. Of course all this is with a HOF of 500. I cannot say about HOF greater then that, only that I had a hard time hitting anything due to Bomblet drift with anything higher HOF then that. Others will chime in shortly.

The problem is with the wind. The container's fall until release of the "skeet-tubes" (don't know the correct term) is corrected by the IFFCC. When the parachutes open they glide and wind has stronger effect, which is not accounted for by the IFFCC (the wind correction is still not modeled AFAIK), so you need to correct manually.

Either put the SPI at a corrected point "beside" the target, or better align against the wind direction, especially if the target is moving.

Try to change the HoF, basically experiment with different settings to get a feel for the spread.

To my experience the skeets are quite effective when searching for targets and when you get them at least close to the vehicles, they hit quite well.

My experience with CBU-97 is that, if they hit a T-72, T-55, BMPs or BTRs they are done. :D I'm not sure about T-80 / T-90, though, need to check that...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I prefer CCIP delivery for dumb bombs (3/9 selected), and after entering wind info into LASTE my CBU-97's make a nice smoking mess out of the T-55 in Shooting Gallery single mission

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

I prefer CCIP delivery for dumb bombs (3/9 selected), and after entering wind info into LASTE my CBU-97's make a nice smoking mess out of the T-55 in Shooting Gallery single mission

great idea

can you provide any info how can i make this procedures

a little tutorial

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I have no problem using ccrp with the 97. Just set the HOF to 900 or 1200.

The default of 1800 is a bit too high.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

setting HOF of 2200 or even 3000 the target will be hit

the problem with the '97 begins when a strong wind exists so you have to decrease your HOF to a value of 500 or 900

now i have to test this with LASTE wind delivery option on the CDU and report back

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

The wind correction cannot work for a simple reason, the bomblets released by the CBU do not have any wind correction kits. So, as soon as they are released, they drift according to the wind and nothing can be done about it. That's why decreasing the HOG altitude will help, since the skeets cannot drift too far away.

Because when employed correctly there is no time for the BLU-108s to "drift".

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

great idea

a little tutorial

Before considering that, everybody is advised to read the last page of the thread of all threads about LASTE wind correction:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66422&highlight=LASTE&page=10

In fact I did fall for the placebo effect, either. :D ...and after testing again and again, with and without corrections, it is no difference. What I found matters is: wings level, upwind /downwind vs. crosswind and of course, stable dive angle... :thumbup:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Before considering that, everybody is advised to read the last page of the thread of all threads about LASTE wind correction:

In fact I did fall for the placebo effect, either. :D ...and after testing again and again, with and without corrections, it is no difference. What I found matters is: wings level, upwind /downwind vs. crosswind and of course, stable dive angle... :thumbup:

thanks buddy...

after testing so many times i have found the best solution is the above as described

great idea

a little tutorial

I apply the wind correction tips from the LASTE tutorial http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66422&highlight=LASTE

and drop from about 3000ft. The BLUs drift, but still find the target

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

whats weird is when i use CBU-97, the bomblets land no where near the targets but the targets still explode.

Hmm, go to youtube and enter "Textron CBU-97" and have a look? :music_whistling:

or read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97_Sensor_Fuzed_Weapon

Shagrat

I apply the wind correction tips from the LASTE tutorial http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66422&highlight=LASTE

and drop from about 3000ft. The BLUs drift, but still find the target

thanks buddy..:)

What I found matters is: wings level, upwind /downwind vs. crosswind and of course, stable dive angle... :thumbup:

Stupid question.. is there a gauge or symbol in the A10 that tells you where the wind direction is coming from?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

Stupid question.. is there a gauge or symbol in the A10 that tells you where the wind direction is coming from?

Listen to the ATC when you ask for engine startup, he gives you direction and wind speed. At least "near the airfield".

Actually there is also a wind "gauge".

The LASTE system has a wind indicator: On the UFC press FUNC - SYS(1) then on the CDU Page (Right MFCD), select LASTE (OSB 7), then WIND (OSB 10).

Now in the upper right corner there is a line that looks like: 239/008 -4

239 = wind direction

008 = speed in m/s

-4 = temperature in °C

EDIT: I forgot - the indication is valid for the current height you're flying at. If the wind is much stronger at the ground or vice versa it just gives an indication... you can still go down to 2000 ft and check, though.

...and no: the windedit / layer correction feature is not implemented, AFAIK, but I trust Eddie and BlueRidge know what they are doing. :D

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

Have you tried dropping two CBU-97s in ripple single? The overlap near the center of the drop line should provide better coverage for the core of the target area.

As mentioned before, I also use low altitude HOF values when dropping in windy conditions.

Here's a great video I used to get comfortable with the CBUs.

Don't trouble yourself, this is NOT functional in the sim! Read Shagrat's post again:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

I had the same problems with the CBU's than I read the post about changing the oepning altitude of the CBU's and they've been working a charm.

I have them open at 700ft and drop them in CCRP (I'm no CCIP fan) and I've managed to kill 3 T-72s with 1 GBU-97 on several occasions (they need to be close enough together, of course).

As the topic sais: I struggle with the CBU-97 (and other CBU variants) against armored targets.

Normally I would use GBU or Mavericks against tanks when selecting weapons myself, however I see that JTACs tends to request CBUs if I carry them.

1 - I've entered the wind informed to me by the JTAC, however I still seem to miss when bombing in CCRP mode. I do not change any other settings except changing from CCIP to CCRP.

2 - Is it possible to take out several targets with one bomb? Is this why JTAC seem to request them?

Thanks for helping.

Post a track please

Nope. but you can look at smokestacks.

AGREED.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.