Bloom out of control.. (issue)

MadTommy

Just flew my 1st 1.2.3 Ka-50 mission. And i encountered some serious 'bloom' that was not good. (The sun was at about 10:30, i.e ahead and a bit left)

screen130227174239.jpg

screen130227174241.jpg

screen130227174247.jpg

These were taken from the same time, but with my head slightly turned away from the sun. By moving my head about 1 degree i could make the bloom appear and disappear...not great.

screen130227174242.jpg

screen130227174252.jpg

Sun glare is fine, but this is way overboard. Is anyone else getting this kind of massive bloom? Would changing my HDR setting help? Is this a bug?

My Settings:

I've been using these settings fro ages.

dcss.jpg

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

thanks mate

Known issue already reported.

Ok cool, didn't see it reported, cheers.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

Just need to lower the helmet visor....

Such an option would be a very nice addition!

Please ignore that attachment, the hdr.fx from that could cause problems with 1.2.3 - the best way to reduce the bloom is to lower the sun saturation level, this can be done quite easily:

first of all enable modifed shaders by allowing them in graphics.cfg (lines 71-74) change to the following:

PrecompiledEffects

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

next open up your 1.2.3 hdr.fx in notepad++ (Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\HDR) and edit line 313 so it looks like this (the part in bold):

float mask = clamp(lGlow * pow(abs(0.6), glowRadius), 0.0, 0.6) * 0.8 * (1.0 - clamp(SunPower, 0.6, 1.0));

Edited by Mustang

Hi Mustang,

Please make a package of various 'Flavours' you would like to have tested .

Send me a download link via PM and I will see what I can do at the next weekend/upcoming days.

BTW: PM'd you my skype ID to short-cut long-winded written conversations.

Edited by PeterP

Has anyone else tried this? it does work but i'd like to see some feedback :)

I'll try this asap.. just have to watch the world stop while Man U play Madrid! :P

Ok.

Can someone post a Track where the problem occurs. - and tell me the exact screen settings you have used. (a screen-shot of the options>System screen should do the job) And ad additional system info and the used GPU+Drivers

... and I almost forgot:

please give me a rough time frame (+/- 3min) when it happens in the track.

Play Ka-50 campaign mission; Deployment 08 : The Other Side.. as you turn way-point 2 and climb over the hills.. you will see what i saw in the screen shots. HDR was set to Cold.

Many thanks for the info.

But I (we) really need a track

, because the Shader/HDR settings and the problem is chained to your FOV/POV/screen-aspect and how much darkness (means : how much of the cockpit ) is visible when 'it' happened.

Once I have seen it myself, I think that I'm able to determine which settings are needed that I can reproduce it and how to counteract it.

And BTW -

I don't have the time for fling around and hopping that I will see it.

Please ignore that attachment, the hdr.fx from that could cause problems with 1.2.3 - the best way to reduce the bloom is to lower the sun saturation level, this can be done quite easily:

first of all enable modifed shaders by allowing them in graphics.cfg (lines 71-74) change to the following:

PrecompiledEffects

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

next open up your 1.2.3 hdr.fx in notepad++ (Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\HDR) and edit line 313 so it looks like this (the part in bold):

float mask = clamp(lGlow * pow(abs(0.6), glowRadius), 0.0, 0.6) * 0.8 * (1.0 - clamp(SunPower, 0.6, 1.0));

Results:

screen130305224353.jpg

I took this is the same location as above SS in OP (same mission)

The sun did look a bit crap.. not sure if that was caused by this. But overall much much better. Thanks Mustang as ever.

screen130305224312.jpg

As i was taking the screen shots to test this i encountered a odd cloud bug.. coincidence or caused by the above tweak?

screen130305224601.jpg

Edited by MadTommy

Hmm that 2nd pic of the sun doesn't look quite right, are you sure you didn't make a mistake during the edit?

edit: and as for that 3rd pic, wtf?! no, the clouds have their own separate .fx files and are in no way affected by the changes to hdr.fx.

edit2: the sun should be looking like this

AVr4hKF.jpg

i will attach my hdr.fx if you wish to try it.

Edited by Mustang

Hmm that 2nd pic of the sun doesn't look quite right, are you sure you didn't make a mistake during the edit?

edit: and as for that 3rd pic, wtf?! no, the clouds have their own separate .fx files and are in no way affected by the changes to hdr.fx.

lol yeah clouds where wtf.. when i went back to the pit and back to F2 view this bug disappeared..

clipboardimageg.png

And i did switch the 'comment out' around in the graphic.cfg

EDIT: i'll compare your HDR to mine cheers.

Ah i see you make your edit through the mods folder? my file edit is directly located in Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\HDR

DFionMd.jpg

That was my _MODS folder for JSGME... i made a mod and installed it that way.

I just compared your hdr to mine and they are identical!! I used UltraCompare. Every line exact match.

First file name: F:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\HDR testing\hdr_mustang\hdr.fx

Second file name: F:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\HDR testing\HDR\hdr.fx

Report type:All (Matching and Differences)

Summary for 1 <--> 2:

The files are identical

700 Line(s) match 0 Block(s) diff 0 : 0 Line(s) diff

???

I just checked JSGME installed it right..

captureqfc.png

that is direct from the installation directory.

Thanks for trying to help us out with this right away.. instead of just saying it's a reported issue. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

No other mods at all. did a clean install yesterday.

Only files i've added are related to my multi monitor set-up.. (PVI_init.lua, CDU_init.lua & ViewportHandling.lua) These are the only altered files in DCS World.

Weird. Thanks anyway.