Some question marks regarding AIM-7 employment

Fred00

So I've been training on AIM-7 employment, and some questions arose.

1) The manual says: "The RADAR must be in Single Target Track (STT) mode in order to support guidance for an AIM-7. This can be done by pressing the Cage/Uncage button less than .8 seconds when there is an L&S target. Alternatively, you may press right on the Sensor Control switch when the RADAR is on the right DDI and the target TDC is already over the target on the RADAR."

I have just slewed the TDC over the target on the radar, pressed TDC depress button and the target is locked up. The missile seems to guide just fine. On the top left on the radar screen it still says "RWS" though. Should I do something else (like described in the manual above) to enter STT mode? Am I already in STT mode? How can I tell? This seems very unclear right now.

2) I'm running the AIM-7 instant action mission on Caucasus. On the SMS page I can see that the aircraft is loaded with three different AIM-7s: M, F and H variants. Successive presses forward on the weapon selector switch changes which missile is selected. However, in the bottom left on the SMS page it says "7F" over one of the OSBs. Successive presses on this button changes to 7M and 7H and back again. What is the purpose of this button? I can already select a specific missile with the weapon select switch, so it seems to me that this button is not needed. Especially since it doesn't actually select another missile. So I can select the 7M with this OSB, but on the wingform the 7F is still the selected missile.

Yeah, I've already looked at that and it doesn't really make much more sense. What he says in the video is that once the TDC is slewed over the radar contact he presses the TDC button to perform STT and lock the target. This is what I do too, but it is not how it is described in the manual (see my OP). The way I see it the manual must be wrong in this instance.

Regarding the OSB with "7F", "7M" or "7H". This is to cycle Sparrow type according to Wags. The problem is that only the label over the OSB changes, not the actual selected missile. I take it that this is not implemented yet. Only way I could actually cycle Sparrows was to hit weapon selector switch forward repeatedly.

1.) The hornet at the minute only has RWS for searching, and STT, when you've locked up, it should probably change to STT like the F-15 does as you've said.

The third mode, TWS Track while scan, isn't implemented in the Hornet yet.

In the F-15 TWS mode when 120s are selected you can lock up a target and the radar still searches, albeit with a narrower search, allowing you see other aircraft, his wingman for example. You still have to be in RWS mode for the Sparrows though.

2.) I'm not sure but maybe the button is there to tell the aircraft what launch parameters to set for each missile, you're telling it what type is on the pylon, rather than using it to select one.

Edited by jonsky7