[CANT REPRODUCE] BIG FPS DROP WITH FLOOD LIGHTS

JTFF - Raph

Am I the only one having the effectiveness of the F16 floodlights decreased to like 20% compared to before the last update? I flew before and after the last update and the flood lights did light the cockpit up much, much more. Now it's almost doing nothing literally in terms of FLOODING the cockpit room/respective area on panels with bright light. Was this a solution to the flood lights FPS problem some had, but is overcorrected?

Am I the only one having the effectiveness of the F16 floodlights decreased to like 20% compared to before the last update? I flew before and after the last update and the flood lights did light the cockpit up much, much more. Now it's almost doing nothing literally in terms of FLOODING the cockpit room/respective area on panels with bright light. Was this a solution to the flood lights FPS problem some had, but is overcorrected?
The knobs now only turn up to 80% by mouse. It's a reported bug.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Think I read somehwere else, the illumination was toned down slightly, to be more realistic as that they would look dim in broad daylight in real world.

That's my overcorrected part about. This dim, also in evening and night? Never sat in a F16 with these lights on but still, how are they then called flood lights when they are this dim? Wondering.

The knobs now only turn up to 80% by mouse. It's a reported bug.

It's still tagged [Cannot reproduce]. So, officially there's no problem with the light knobs. I don't understand the silence from ED about this one.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257702

@ Der Hirte

yes, in my mind too, flood means plenty.

Edited by hflag

I confirm, absolutely!

Have a try with the enclosed mission.

F-16 Flood lights off = no FPS drop whatsoever. Solid 60 FPS / fluid.

F-16 Flood lights on = substantial / occasional FPS drop, especially flying just below the clouds.

F-18 Flood lights on or off = no FPS drop whatsoever. Solid 60 FPS / fluid.

A-10-C (new cockpit) Flood lights on or off = no FPS drop whatsoever. Solid 60 FPS / fluid.

Similar problem with the Mirage, though not so evident as with the F-16.

Test-FPS.miz

1388977069_SettingsAC.thumb.jpg.1ca93bfaa8133ff64a8a47c3fa06bbd0.jpg

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 3 weeks later...

Without question something is happening. I am running FPS for VR (steam app) and you can see a change in the render time when turning on or off the floodlights. The graph shows this clearly.

I will post a video once I get WMR and OBS to work nicely. ED should change this thread to INVESTIGATING.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I made a video showing what happens when activating and deactivating the floodlights. The performance utility in the video is fpsVR from Steam and is quite useful to show what happens. Refer to the GPU Frame Time graph and how it responds to the floods...

oBwVqwcFMro

I hope the devs find this useful :thumbup: :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

• 4 weeks later...

Dragging this back up...it appears the issue with the drop in frame rates still exists after this most recent update to the Beta. My tests are showing that it is related to the "Console Floods" and not necessarily related to the other ones, the "Internal" (IIRC). It is most certainly something I can reproduce reliably.

And the new internal lighting is REALLY GOOD!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Stumbled upon (cannot reproduce) for this issue and even more couldn't believe it's not being investigated after reading all this.

Just to add myself here: I'm having these framedrops as soon as I turn on floodlights on. IE Mission "Island stile" startup smooth, floodlights on.. losing 7-9 frames, down to sub 40, stutter. Quick Mission 2v1, turning them on when RTB.. well, I should better not be flying over a forest :smilewink:

Edited by LtDanTailor

Win10 Pro, Intel i9 9700k @5GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 @3200MHz RAM, MSI z390 Gaming Plus, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD Base, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (for DCS), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (for Win10), Philips PHL 274E

I can clearly see the frame drop, which is massive using the INSTR lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvHT7wsGazo, at 0:20

Framerate is visible on left top of the screen, dropping from 60 to 30.

openbeta 2.5.6.43931, 1 screen, sync on framerate for monitor is 60 Hz.

Settings attached:

SYSTEM_options.thumb.png.b36b5e7aca3a039baed6a1983ecf6647.png

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

It's still there as of today with the latest update to 2.5.6.43931.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to report but the drop in frames is still there on DCS 2.5.6.45317- it is the "Consoles" floods. The other one doesn't cause the drop.

Fingers are crossed that it can be fixed one day! :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare