DCS P51 Campaign: Mission 7: Navigation --> Fail to reach 20,000 feet

Captn Courget

Sooooo 170 is Vy. That means you should be able to fly anywhere between Vx (100) and Vy and get a better climb angle than at Vy. Since the mission is based on reaching an altitude within a certain distance (not time) the easiest way to achieve that altitude should be to fly Vx, though it should take you longer to get there. If you're having problems with engine cooling at the lower speed, I would guess that there's some room to cut back the throttle and still achieve the altitude soon enough. If anything, err on the slow side of Vy. Also keep in mind that your VSI measures climb rate not climb angle, and climb angle is what's important for this mission.

On the other hand, from all the discussion above, it seems like you're having some other problem with engine management. Make sure you're following a good set of checklists and that you trust what the aircraft was designed to do (turbo should jump up around 20k asl). I like these checklists cause they have good quick reference for aircraft performance info (v-speeds, engine settings): http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3633825/2GvSAP_Flea_s_P_51D_checklists

Basic reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_climb

Edited by iantron

• 4 months later...
Sooooo 170 is Vy. That means you should be able to fly anywhere between Vx (100) and Vy and get a better climb angle than at Vy. Since the mission is based on reaching an altitude within a certain distance (not time) the easiest way to achieve that altitude should be to fly Vx, though it should take you longer to get there. If you're having problems with engine cooling at the lower speed, I would guess that there's some room to cut back the throttle and still achieve the altitude soon enough. If anything, err on the slow side of Vy. Also keep in mind that your VSI measures climb rate not climb angle, and climb angle is what's important for this mission.

On the other hand, from all the discussion above, it seems like you're having some other problem with engine management. Make sure you're following a good set of checklists and that you trust what the aircraft was designed to do (turbo should jump up around 20k asl). I like these checklists cause they have good quick reference for aircraft performance info (v-speeds, engine settings): http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3633825/2GvSAP_Flea_s_P_51D_checklists

Basic reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_climb

Perfect Checklist.

Nothing more to say about this, once it's PERFECT.

Thanks :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap_2::clap_2:

Dell U2715H 27" IPS 2560x1440 / 60 Hz; Ryzen 7 7700x; 32gb DDR5 6400; B650M Aorus Pro; Water Cooler Arctic liquid freezer II 280

• 4 years later...

I am also having issues reaching the 20K gate Same values as captain Orso (2.7K rpm and 45-55 Hg. I am fine up to the 10K gate, I then set trim to try to maintain a rate of climb between 0.5 and 1 vsi, again ok for another 4K, but even with the Supercharger, beyond 16K I am finding it almost impossible to achieve a positive rate of climb without stalling out.

Driving me crazy.

I am also having issues reaching the 20K gate Same values as captain Orso (2.7K rpm and 45-55 Hg. I am fine up to the 10K gate, I then set trim to try to maintain a rate of climb between 0.5 and 1 vsi, again ok for another 4K, but even with the Supercharger, beyond 16K I am finding it almost impossible to achieve a positive rate of climb without stalling out.

Driving me crazy.

Are you sure that you are not flying with flaps or gear deployed, are you running both magnetos not single for example, just make cockpit sweep check everything, check ram air handle position should be all way forward.

Dont go slower then 150mph

Btw supercharger is working all the time in p-51 from engine start to engine shut off

P-51 can easy stay around 2000ft/min at 46"2700 and when you are rocking 67'3000 you can be at 3500ft/min.

in climb monitor your MP it will drop pass 8k ft if you climb at speeds below 180mph.

P-51 in DCS can climb to 43k ft but you need to climb at high speed to get help from ram air

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks to Tucano_uy, I read a number of posts before adding my own post describing my similar issue. When I was trying to run it again, after posting, I checked, and low and behold, my mixture was set incorrectly. I ran the mission with it then set to "Run"and got through 20K and 25 and 30K without any problems. However I was so pleased, I got turned about in the cloud and flew into a mountain - Some days are diamonds, some days are stones....:(

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately that is not the same checklist. I have a laminated copy still. It is the 2GvSAP DCS: P51D Pocket Check List Rev1.0A from 13 July 2012. I'm not having much luck finding it from that, but maybe someone from 2GvSAP (?) is around...? I'll scan if we can't find it.

This check list covers all important things to set up plane properly. include before start up check list which most ppl often missing.

Any way, like it P-51 changed at all in pass 70 years :P 2012 i think is up to date enough.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It's a "C" model in this video, but worth following the flow...

Pls, don't use modern modified p-51 as reference.They differ in couple of things from war time planes.The best way is to just look at p-51 manual from wartime or 50s.

For example, counting blades is not a thing in war time p-51,it can start from very beginning of cranking. Thermostatic actuators for oil and coolant is set for lower temp then back in ww2

Edited by grafspee

I flew for a long time with the mixture on full rich (several weeks) before I found out it was the incorrect setting. If you are having problems with power at altitude, and quick fuel use, that is 99% chance your problem. Even if you think you know, I’d encourage you to check and ensure you are doing it correctly if you are having these problems.