Mission problems in Normandy?

Xxx

I have more problems with the mission planner in Normandy.

I am trying to create a D_Day scenario. Unfortunately I have more serious issues.

I have Sherman's, Sherman Firefly and Cromwells attempting to move from the beach inland. Trouble is, they don't move at all! Even placing them off the beach on to level ground makes no difference, they just sit there and open fire on any targets in range, without moving?

The WW2 American infantry move ok.

The German Panther Tanks do move, but not the allied tanks.

Then the German Troops I place on the map don't spawn! No matter how many/few, or where I place them they don't spawn in the game? Almost like they aren't modelled? I believe this is a known issue?

It's difficult to create any plausible D-Day scenarios with these limitations. We need to be able to display many hundreds of troops and tanks, not to mention actual landing craft. I mean the small beach landing craft, not the LST's which don't land on the beach. At the moment all I can do is create micro combat scenarios on small sections of the map?

Happily, it's a "beta" map so hopefully ED will sort it out.

When I do get several units in contact. The frame rate slows down to a stutter. The explosions are nicely modelled, but I get a frame freeze as the explosions are rendered?

At the moment all Normandy is good for is sightseeing over the blank canvas(sand box), which admittedly is lovely! However a full scale D-Day mission scenario/Campaign seems impossible at the moment.

Best regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Vehicles also have problems with path finding and get stuck in towns.

The AI calculation of units is seems to run on a single core. So lagging doesn't start because of to many polygons, but because the AI take to long to calculate everything for it. To my experience this gets even worse when the Data has to be send to multiple players.

you can for example place like 150 units on the map without any issue, but if these units start to interact with each other .... goodbye.

A lot of optimisation is needed if ED wants us to simulate combat of entire platoons.

Vehicles also have problems with path finding and get stuck in towns.

The AI calculation of units is seems to run on a single core. So lagging doesn't start because of to many polygons, but because the AI take to long to calculate everything for it. To my experience this gets even worse when the Data has to be send to multiple players.

you can for example place like 150 units on the map without any issue, but if these units start to interact with each other .... goodbye.

A lot of optimisation is needed if ED wants us to simulate combat of entire platoons.

Agreed. I can get a couple of Cromwells to move to "on road" waypoints, off road movement doesn't work for me.

My biggest worry is the "stutter" when a simple mission (4 tanks and six troopers) are engaged, with some explosions triggered as objectives are reached and armed houses destroyed.

The Normandy map is beautiful to fly over with no "sand box" action taking place. Put some war action in and it's full of stutters. I am thankful I did not buy an Oculus Rift, no chance of flight with those stutters!

Also it occurs to me that the map is so good at ground level, colidable trees, rolling topography and detail in the lovely buildings, it seems more suited for a tank "sand box" simulation rather than a flight sim. ED must have worked hard to create this map, but it appears not to be optimised for battle missions? Re creation of D-Day and post D-Day battles appears to be unfeasable without some optimisation of the game engine. At the moment it's only use is to fly about admiring the scenery. I can do this in P3d!

I am just about ok with NTTR 2.1.1, In the desert and 1.5 remains the best map for combat. I worry that if ED "converts" 1.5 into a 2.1.1 engine, I will loose functionality of the sim?

Best regards

David

Edited by Accipiter
Needs optimisation

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky