F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Hi all,

Sorry to be "that guy" but.. there was a Low Vis Jolly Rogers skin uploaded to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com. It was only up for a day or two, but now seems to be removed. Any idea what happened to it or where I can download it? Sadly I didn't get to it in time because of work and now can't seem to find it anywhere.

UPDATE

Strut has just uploaded an awesome set of VF-84 low vis skins. Thanks

Edited by Fluff Hunter

On the MiG-21, can the placement locations be edited? Are the coordinates on the model something that the average user can edit?

This is what a single decal entry looks like on a Strike Fighters, from one of the available F-14 skins:

[Decal002]

MeshName=Nose <-------------------------------Component

DecalLevel=2 <-------------------------------Type (whether this decal appears all the time, only on specific aircraft, or for specific squadrons)

DecalFacing=LEFT <-------------------------------vertical/horizontal orientation

FilenameFormat=F-14D\USNVF213OEF\nosel <---File name and location

Position=4.85,-0.08 <-------------------------------Coordinate position on Mesh

Rotation=0.0 <-------------------------------Rotational orientation

Scale=10.0 <-------------------------------Size position on mesh

DecalMaxLOD=4 <-------------------------------Determines the view distance the decal can be seen

I don't have the MiG-21, but from what I have seen of other DCS aircraft, all you can edit are the decals that are visible and what the file names are. You can't edit the position, size, or orientation of each one. Not a big deal when position and size of the text is fairly uniform, such as with the F-15 or F/A-18. Not very useful on the F-14 with so many variations of position and size. To compare, look at VF-1's 1974 livery vs. VF-154's 1999 livery. Very different placement and size. If HB tried to replicate this with existing dynamic system, either VF-154's numbers would be spread out too far if the numbers in the decal file were the correct size OR VF-1's numbers would be out of alignment with the red stripe on the fuselage and look wrong. Alternatively, they could have multiple entries for possible modex locations and it would be up to the skinner for them to the active or not, but that would bloat the size of the text file.

In Strike Fighters, you can't type in a number and expect it to show up like in DCS. You have to make a selection from a dropdown menu. In the case of the skin I drew the above entry from, you only have the modex numbers available in that squadron and can't put in your own. Each three-digit number has to be its own .tga file, and in fact this skin was edited so that the modex number and safety placards were all specific to the aircraft selected.

Variable serials in DCS can't be repositioned in the description.lua, they're hard-coded into the model when skinning it. You can see the vertexes for the serial locations on some paintkits' uv maps. Most planes have several options for different skins that are left blank when not used on a particular skin, but I imagine the main issue HB is running into is getting the kerning to look right, which isn't exactly easy when 1's are significantly narrower than every other digit in USN font. For example, X10 and X11+ modexes look very wrong on the DCS F/A-18 because kerning can't be dynamically set.

Edited by Zaku

Some really well done skin mods in this thread for sure. I'd like to request if anyone wouldn't mind creating this Sluggers paint scheme, would be very much appreciated! :D

F-14B_Tomcat_of_VF-103_at_NAF_Andrews_1993.jpeg

48071d.jpg

Steam User

Owned Modules| F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | AV-8B Harrier | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Warthog | Combined Arms | Supercarrier | NTTR | Persian Gulf |

Module Wishlist | Blackburn Buccaneer | Panavia Tornado | F-111 Aardvark | F-4 Phantom

Guys can you help me with export settings from GIMP? I can export the dds and I hit generate mipmaps and I still see the texture pop out when I zoom out of the aircraft in the f2 view.

Are you referring to when you zoom out in F2 and the texture changes? the tomcat requires a separate LOD file for far views.

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

yes this!! how do I make the LOD file ?

Short version: You need to pull the "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds" file from another skin, ideally one that's similar in case you don't redo every single texture.

Next, take each dds texture, shrink it to 512x512, and paste it into the LOD file. It helps if you have some of the grid snapping turned on in Photoshop. Otherwise you have to zoom in and align them.

Once you've placed each texture over its respective spot, save it like you did the other skin .dds files and voila.

Oh, almost forgot, you need to add this to the description.lua:

{"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1", 0 ,"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1",false};

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Short version: You need to pull the "HB_F14_LOD1_3in1.dds" file from another skin, ideally one that's similar in case you don't redo every single texture.

Next, take each dds texture, shrink it to 512x512, and paste it into the LOD file. It helps if you have some of the grid snapping turned on in Photoshop. Otherwise you have to zoom in and align them.

Once you've placed each texture over its respective spot, save it like you did the other skin .dds files and voila.

Oh, almost forgot, you need to add this to the description.lua:

{"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1", 0 ,"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1",false};

You are the best!! thank you !!

VF-32 Swordsmen Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003 PACK

I'm still working on painting.

I hope it can be released in about one to two months, but the release date is still unknown.:doh:

Here are some recent Pilot & RIO custom textures.

- Rear Admiral (lower half) : RADM (LH) -

j6Lu9Ab.jpg

- Captain : CAPT -

gzVcDo1.jpg

- Commander : CDR -

RNNhfS1.jpg

- Lieutenant Commander : LCDR -

IQkoVyV.jpg

- Lieutenant : LT -

lezz4pv.jpg

- Desert Camuflage Helmet Cover -

33ylaaO.jpg

Vx4fH8x.jpg

VF-32 Swordsmen Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003 PACK

I finished adjusting the gloss of each marking.

j2OuizF.jpg

TaqiE4I.jpg

dvuLRhr.jpg

I noticed a problem.

LANTIRN POD cameras are not fully stowed in standby mode.

I emailed them to Heatblur to confirm the problem, but there was no reply after several weeks.

Are they going to fix this problem?

I can't proceed with painting without confirming this issue:(

Current LANTIRN standby mode

5Dq3ws5.jpg

Correct LANTIRN standby mode

RJFPyZk.jpg

Click here for reference

I hope the Heatblur team is watching this thread.

I noticed a problem.

LANTIRN POD cameras are not fully stowed in standby mode.

I emailed them to Heatblur to confirm the problem, but there was no reply after several weeks.

Are they going to fix this problem?

I can't proceed with painting without confirming this issue:(

I see the issue as well, but I wouldn't hold your breathe, they probably won't prioritize it over other existing issues.

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

Anyone else getting this error when unzipping the textures

Error: Bad data in file "D:\Restored Files\DCS Skins\F-14\HB_F14_EXT_TAIL.psd"

Irrecoverable Error: Bad data detected.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Hey Isoko, I doubt we Mind if the Lantirn pod doesn’t line up.

hi mate:thumbup:

Is my operation wrong? I would be happy if you could tell me more.

I want to know if HB is aware of this problem and is willing to fix it.

Depending on their response I have to repaint LANTIRN significantly.

Any one know where the underside of the speed brake is???

Good question. I'd like to know too.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isoko you are doing an amazing job!!! Looking forward to adding your skins to my collection.

For anyone else - I know it is way fictional but would anyone try to make the Blue Angles skin for the Tomcat? If it's a dumb idea I understand. Just seen these photos on the web and thought what could have been lol.

Oh my god how awesome would that have been Tomcat blue angels.