Limited RSBN navigation

Xxx

Hello,

I spent some time copying and pasting and I believe I am seeing PRMG response on runway 21L at Nellis. I am seeing flags change and the localizer works for sure. Perhaps it can be fine tuned for the glideslope. I have tested it online on the AO server after installing the beacons.lua.

Use PRMG channel 22. Please note this file is for testing only and not a final version of spirit_deasease's mod.

I took the file down. My second test showed it not working. Looking into it.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Yes! I forgot to turn it on (Landing mode). Be sure to set QFH.

PRMG working perfectly at Nellis 21L PRMG channel 22. Get those hoods out.

Not a final version of spirit_desease's mod.

Spirit_desease: could a RSBN be added at Nellis so we have navigation/glide slope/landing modes?

Edited by JG14_Smil

Hey Max, do you think you can do a few beacons for the Normandy map when it's out later this month?

It would be nice to fly the L39 about in Normandy!:D

Obviously there were no beacons historically, but Wags has shown videos of SU25/27 zooming over the map, so it got my imagination going!

Eventually, when we get the fully integrated install, we will only need to put the beacons.lua in one terrains folder?:smilewink:

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Yes, no problem on that IF Normandy has a beacons.lua file.

You can fly the 39 without RSBN stations using the "manual mode" like in Nevada in the worst case scenario (no beacons.lua file)

One beacons.lua for each map: there will be a subfolder "Normandy" along the "Nevada" subfolder in the "Terrains" subfolder.

Regards.

Mike

spirit_desease file with Nellis 21L on PRMG channel 22, McCarran 25R PRMG on channel 21.

F10 Airfield info does not update these channels for some reason.

edited later:

corrected 25L typo. PRMG is on rwy 25R at McCarran.

Works wonderfully! Hood landing is now possible in NTTR.

File removed. Please use latest version in next post.

Edited by JG14_Smil
removed old file

OK.. have added a working RSBN at McCarran.

This is the last edit I will do until I hear from spirit_desease.

RSBN Channel 40 for McCarran.

File removed. See last post in thread for latest version.

Edited by JG14_Smil

I finally was able to get an instructor for my first hood run. Probably the scariest thing I have done in a sim since the old FS98 days.

Every modified nav aid in the NTTR works better than the Caucasus map, and you don't have to fly across the map to enjoy it (AO server). The DCS L-39 is just a joy to own.

Thinking ahead to the Normandy map. The Me 109 and FW190 both use the single frequency homing beacon, part of the radio receiver. Frequency set in the mission planner.

Since post D-Day, the Germans were relocating to different airfields and grass strips, as the allies advanced. I guess they used the homing beacon regularly. Certainly for us sim pilots any nav aid is welcome, without cheating and peeking at the F10 map or the kneeboard!:smilewink:

Wags has hinted that grass fields will be available in the Normandy mission planner, in future. I think it would be nice to have a mobile radio homer, at those grass strips. It would add a lot to mission making in Normandy. But again, we know the Russians use mobile RSBN to re locate to newly captured airfields.

If you were to add make shift grass strips in missions, finding these without some form of radio help would be difficult! But there again, it's how they did it back in the day.

Interesting times ahead.:D

Cheers

David.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Thinking ahead to the Normandy map. The Me 109 and FW190 both use the single frequency homing beacon, part of the radio receiver. Frequency set in the mission planner.

Since post D-Day, the Germans were relocating to different airfields and grass strips, as the allies advanced. I guess they used the homing beacon regularly. Certainly for us sim pilots any nav aid is welcome, without cheating and peeking at the F10 map or the kneeboard!:smilewink:

Wags has hinted that grass fields will be available in the Normandy mission planner, in future. I think it would be nice to have a mobile radio homer, at those grass strips. It would add a lot to mission making in Normandy. But again, we know the Russians use mobile RSBN to re locate to newly captured airfields.

If you were to add make shift grass strips in missions, finding these without some form of radio help would be difficult! But there again, it's how they did it back in the day.

Interesting times ahead.:D

Cheers

David.

How I'd love having mobile RSBN units for both the Fishbed and the Albatros! Or at least static units per mission.

Of course they have a different system now, being from two developers, but there is still hope ;)

But yes, with Normandy we'll have to go VFR, that will be very interesting :D

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 5 weeks later...

is it working in Nevada 2.1?? it seems that not to me...

to add new ones please let me know what should I put in the such places.

name = _('Mesquite');

beaconId = 'world_38';

type = BEACON_TYPE_RSBN;

callsign = 'MSQ';

frequency = 816000000.0;

channel = 16;

position = { -424440.156250, 1080.228532, -1424.503052 }; how to get the position?? via script?

positionGeo = { latitude = 35.995752, longitude = -114.863607 }; I guess I can get this from the ME

sceneObjects = {'t:131269307'}; I dont understand what is this, what should I do to get here for new beacon?

Edited by ESAc_matador

position = { -424440.156250, 1080.228532, -1424.503052 }; how to get the position?? via script?

seems like X,Z,Alt. (up/Down,Left/Right,Hight)

or X,Alt,Z... :)

you can Press LALT+Y(Z) on the F10-Map to switch Coordinatsystem until you get 'Meters'

Edited by Nero.ger

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

is it working in Nevada 2.1?? it seems that not to me...

to add new ones please let me know what should I put in the such places.

name = _('Mesquite');

beaconId = 'world_38';

type = BEACON_TYPE_RSBN;

callsign = 'MSQ';

frequency = 816000000.0;

channel = 16;

positionGeo = { latitude = 35.995752, longitude = -114.863607 }; I guess I can get this from the ME

sceneObjects = {'t:131269307'}; I dont understand what is this, what should I do to get here for new beacon?

You can leave the scene object line alone or comment it out. Beacon will still work.

If world_38 is the last beacon in line, and you make a new one it would be 'world_39'. (there are only 40!)

How to get position numbers? Edit one and see where it goes. Use mission editor to see where it went. I *believe* it is: north/south, up/down, east/west.

Make sure frequency and channel match. channel 16 is '816000000' edit the '16' to your new channel on both.

Please note channel 16 is Daggett beacon.

Sometimes Mission Editor is the only way to see these beacons. ILS only show up in the editor. Do not do ILS testing while in the ME, it won't work correctly. Export the mission, then run it for it to work correctly.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Tired of editing hehe.

Please note DCS is pretty unforgiving on LOS and radio signals. If your beacon does not show up, it might be masked by terrain. This can be improved on with the middle position number, but it should be done in a way that is not a cheat (you can make the beacon come in at all times, but real world is not like that).

good luck with your editing and learning!

I love flying the L-39 using these RSBN and PRMG edits in the NTTR. PRMG works much better than in 1.5. RSBN Glideslope mode does not work as well in the NTTR. It will fly you into terrain. Switch to Landing mode about 50 KM from runway for RSBN and PRMG glideslope to intercept.

Edited by JG14_Smil

• 3 weeks later...
Tired of editing hehe.

Please note DCS is pretty unforgiving on LOS and radio signals. If your beacon does not show up, it might be masked by terrain. This can be improved on with the middle position number, but it should be done in a way that is not a cheat (you can make the beacon come in at all times, but real world is not like that).

good luck with your editing and learning!

I love flying the L-39 using these RSBN and PRMG edits in the NTTR. PRMG works much better than in 1.5. RSBN Glideslope mode does not work as well in the NTTR. It will fly you into terrain. Switch to Landing mode about 50 KM from runway for RSBN and PRMG glideslope to intercept.

Hi. I recently got into the l-39 as well and discovered this thread. I'd like to know if the glideslope functionality is broken on a few airfields or in all of them? also i've found something such as:

glideslopeAngle = 2.0 + 40.0/60.0,

on caucasus beacons.lua. Tried adding that to the nevada lua but didn't work. It might be a mistake on my side but you guys should give it a try too if you'd like.

Hello,

1.5 and NTTR are different beacon types and don't mix. I found that 1.5 PRMG doesn't even work correctly. RSBN/PRMG modded beacons work very well in the NTTR. If they aren't working after changing your beacons.lua, you haven't set your switches right. You need to be in the landing mode of the RSBN, then you will see ILS . You can find exact runway headings by looking at the mission editor map.

Note DCS uses true heading and not magnetic. It is wrong and a bug, but you would have better luck telling this to a brick wall.

Available PRMG are (from the top of my head):

Nellis 21L

MacCarran 25R

Creech 09 and 13

Groom Lake 33

Tonopah Test range (are there but I have not tested them)

I think there are 15 RSBN beacons to match VORTACs.

I've attached my latest beacons.lua. I have been eliminating repeated and incorrect channel numbers. I don't have them listed here as I am pretty busy getting my system back up and running.

I would love to know where the very large mystery airfield is located! It is not on the map.

are you sure sir? what you've posted doesn't include any prmg or rsbn type localizers.

• Like 1

Please note, 25L channel 26 is same as Tonopah test Range runway. It will work with same channels as the distance is far apart, but I edited 25L to be channel 24 in my version.

{

name = _('McCarran');

beaconId = 'airfield3_7';

type = BEACON_TYPE_PRMG_GLIDESLOPE;

callsign = 'MCL';

channel = 24;

frequency = 824000000.0;

position = { -416373.156250, 631.500261, -25578.058594 };

direction = 89.345650;

positionGeo = { latitude = 36.072917, longitude = -115.129710 };

--sceneObjects = {'t:137300408'};

};

{

name = _('McCarran');

beaconId = 'airfield3_8';

type = BEACON_TYPE_PRMG_LOCALIZER;

callsign = 'MCL';

channel = 24;

frequency = 824000000.0;

position = { -416353.000000, 662.919620, -28740.046875 };

direction = 88.846008; --88.846008

positionGeo = { latitude = 36.073641, longitude = -115.164803 };

--sceneObjects = {'t:71240604'};

chartOffsetX = 3623.000000;

};

I have started work on a version 2.1.1 beacons.lua and I'm getting properly working PRMG/ILS again. It could be something has changed.

I have Nellis 21L, McCarran 25L, 25R working correctly now. I am testing each PRMG as I mod it, verifying all channels and ID's. I've encountered an angle error at Groom, but I hope to get all airfields with ILS working again today.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Syntax has changed in a recent update! I went through and have the same mods as before with RSBN and PRMG. Every random test I have done shows it all working correctly now in 2.1.1.6837. Please note I did not add any NDB and Inner/Outer markers yet. I know I don't use them much but I will add them at later date. Same as the original modded file. I want to test what is here first.

Only downside I know of from this file is in the ME. The mods are over-laid on the original beacons and they can be hard to read. Does not affect when in MP F10 view.

There was/is an error line in the log file, but it is from the original ILS and not the modded beacons.

Taking the file down until I test everything. It may be a while.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Found a typo.

McCarran RSBN works as RSBN channel 20, same as Groom Lake. You can fly with it like this and the needle will switch automatically or edit:

{

display_name = _('LasVegas RSBN/VORTAC');

beaconId = 'airfield3_9';

type = BEACON_TYPE_RSBN;

callsign = 'MAC';

frequency = 825000000.0; (red five was a zero)

channel = 25;

position = { -415686.093750, 656.234299, -28303.363281 };

direction = -179.199384;

positionGeo = { latitude = 36.079576, longitude = -115.159816 };

--sceneObjects = {'t:138676547'};

};

One more typo.

{

display_name = _('BoulderCity RSBN');

beaconId = 'world_37';

type = BEACON_TYPE_VORTAC; change it to BEACON_TYPE_RSBN;,;

callsign = 'BLD';