What will Jester do with the Lantirn? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Rhinozherous

Default What will Jester do with the Lantirn?

Do we already know what jesters abilitys with Lantirn will be? Cant wait for him fiddling around with it.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Tiramisu

Good question. I would also like to add the question how Iceman will be like. Will Iceman be able to make some proper maneuvering while the human player can control the Lantirn? Since the AI for autonomous F14s should already exist, it should not be too hard to use it for Iceman.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
raf_

+1
raf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
Good question. I would also like to add the question how Iceman will be like. Will Iceman be able to make some proper maneuvering while the human player can control the Lantirn? Since the AI for autonomous F14s should already exist, it should not be too hard to use it for Iceman.

They have said multiple times that Iceman is basically a glorified autopilot, and they won't put nearly as much effort into him as they will into Jester.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
They have said multiple times that Iceman is basically a glorified autopilot, and they won't put nearly as much effort into him as they will into Jester.
This was also asked months ago when the question was much more up in the air...

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
Iceman should at least be able to hold the bank angle and altitude. This is something that many autopilots can do and it would be sufficient for using the lantirn when you go back to the RIO seat yourself.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #7
Halcyon

Detailed questions have been asked, and so far no response. I would love to know how they plan on Jester replicating the fine control you get from using the LANTIRN mod as a solo pilot.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
VampireNZ

Bottom line is HB aren't going to develop advanced AI that can read your mind and determine what to target with the pod at any moment in time. He will just target standard pre-arranged targets or areas - with subsequent multiple menu commands to shift targeting amongst seperate targets (same as A-A specific target selection) I would assume. I just hope he has enough intelligence to manage appropriate zoom levels, laser activation behaviour etc.

I am not even going to mention the pilot having any input into aiming the pod or direct target selection...as certain individuals have an unhealthy obsession with 'realism' and 'cheat modes' on here..

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
No, they have stated that Iceman won't get any more sophisticated acpabilities, unlike Jester, who will learn to properly use the LANTIRN, so you don't have to switch to the backseat and can fly the plane by yourself while Jester is managing the LANTIRN.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
Tiramisu

But holding the bank angle is not sophisticated at all. Even if it was, I would be happy, if Iceman could at least hold the position of my joystick and throttle when I go back to the RIO seat.
Actually I do not care if Jester could control the lantirn some day. He even struggles to lock enemy on the radar, so I do not have much faith in him working the lantirn. All I want are simple but helpful features for Iceman and Jester that are currently missing.

Last edited by Tiramisu; 07-16-2019 at 03:20 PM.