DELETE PLEASE MODS

LORD FLASHEART

Wish I would have pre-ordered one, but decided to play for safe and just wait. Well, maybe on this fall I have time to get my own Rift S, as after many reviews etc it looks that Rift S is the best option right now to buy for VR, if you get own earplugs to it. Just can't understand why they didn't make it compatible with the CV1 headphones connection for amazing sound?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Wish I would have pre-ordered one, but decided to play for safe and just wait. Well, maybe on this fall I have time to get my own Rift S, as after many reviews etc it looks that Rift S is the best option right now to buy for VR, if you get own earplugs to it. Just can't understand why they didn't make it compatible with the CV1 headphones connection for amazing sound?

I'm sure for them there was a business reason. So in other words, it doesn't make sense for them not to make them compatible.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

in a word - differentiation

They needed their product to be more differentiated in the market. All these headsets are looking the same from a marketing standpoint. The channels for sound are different without the standard over ear headphones.

To me this, along with the fixed IPD pushed me toward the Index. I have one on preorder. From what I am hearing from the review, the 'upgrade' for those with CV1 was good, but not sure it would have given me a better experience than the Samsung O+ I already have. I can already read everything in my cockpit with the O+ (albiet slightly fuzzy), and I am sad to hear that he didn't get much improvement on distance objects, which is also a challenge for me with the Anti-SDE screen on the O+. I can spot ok, but aircraft aren't sharp enough to identify unless they are less than a mile away, which is way too close to be wondering if you should fire or not...

I suspect the Index will also not be light years better than my O+, but just slightly better. I guess I'll have to wait to see....

Congrats to those of you who are receiving your Rift S! We live in miraculous times!

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

in a word - differentiation

They needed their product to be more differentiated in the market. All these headsets are looking the same from a marketing standpoint. The channels for sound are different without the standard over ear headphones.

To me this, along with the fixed IPD pushed me toward the Index. I have one on preorder. From what I am hearing from the review, the 'upgrade' for those with CV1 was good, but not sure it would have given me a better experience than the Samsung O+ I already have. I can already read everything in my cockpit with the O+ (albiet slightly fuzzy), and I am sad to hear that he didn't get much improvement on distance objects, which is also a challenge for me with the Anti-SDE screen on the O+. I can spot ok, but aircraft aren't sharp enough to identify unless they are less than a mile away, which is way too close to be wondering if you should fire or not...

I suspect the Index will also not be light years better than my O+, but just slightly better. I guess I'll have to wait to see....

Congrats to those of you who are receiving your Rift S! We live in miraculous times!

Never tried the O+ myself, but there seems to be a consensus now among guys having tested both O+ and Rift S, that the S sharpness and clarity is much better.

Now, on paper, the Index might be even better... I'm really curious. Future will tell. But it's more than twice the price of an S. Unlike what I did for the S, I think I'll wait for first true reviews in DCS before ordering.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

@ Dax - I found that this review is very similar to what I already have in the O+.

I suspect the Rift S may have a slight clarity advantage being LCD, but the challenges stated in the above review are *VERY* similar to what I experience today. The only other benefit may be better tracking with the Rift S... I do have occasional glitches with the O+ but nothing deal breaking... I'll have to go to an MS store and check it out to see what the real difference is.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how much different / better the index is. I don't have high expectations, but I think it will be better nonetheless.

Edited by Nagilem

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Hi Fitness, had a look at this and it looks pretty awesome. I’m able to read text that is disappearing off the edge of my FOV. It’s not as clear as the Center but still looks good.

Last week after seeing yours and others praise of the 'S' I went around the corner and picked 1 up at the Microsoft Store. I was able to try it out there using a computer much less capable than mine and it seemed good so I was hopeful.

However the real test of course came with using it in DCS. I found the only benefit was within the cockpit, around 20% improvement reading labels/markings, outside and beyond it didn't show much if any improvement on the clarity. As for the DDI's...a slight improvement. I was expecting a much bigger improvement overall over my CV1, which I've had no issues reading the cockpit.

I found the peripheral narrower, and the need to move your head constantly to stay in the sweet spot because it was size reduced considerably.

What turned out to be a deal breaker was the HMD right eye not lining up with my right pupil. Only by holding the HMD off centre to my nose was I able to get it aligned. There is no physical lens movement capability unfortunately like you have with the CV1.

So all in all I'm glad I took the time to use it, MS gives a 30 day return.

I wish there was a critique list of the current VR HMD out there in the market.

Edited by fitness88

Hi JAR.

I notice you are using a trackball as a mouse to interact with in cockpit.

Did you try using controllers and virtual hands?

I know it is not practical switching from controllers and HOTAS but similar is with mouse too. I was thinking about to use stands for controllers, similar as you have for your trackball to have it always available on the same spot using muscle memmory. If you made a similar stand for VR controllers near itch leg you will be able to have your controllers ready for usage in the same spot. This stands are just peace of PVC pipe attached on right and left side to your seat. Similar as people made VR rifle with pipes you will just stick your controller in it and pick it up when you will need.

This way you will be added aditional imersion using your hands to interact with in cockpit.

Hi JAR.

I notice you are using a trackball as a mouse to interact with in cockpit.

Did you try using controllers and virtual hands?

I know it is not practical switching from controllers and HOTAS but similar is with mouse too. I was thinking about to use stands for controllers, similar as you have for your trackball to have it always available on the same spot using muscle memmory. If you made a similar stand for VR controllers near itch leg you will be able to have your controllers ready for usage in the same spot. This stands are just peace of PVC pipe attached on right and left side to your seat. Similar as people made VR rifle with pipes you will just stick your controller in it and pick it up when you will need.

This way you will be added aditional imersion using your hands to interact with in cockpit.

Since DCS started to support Oculus Touch controllers, I stopped using mouse. On that moment. The mouse is huge immersion killer that you notice once you start using your hands to operate the cockpit around.

You don't place hand on mouse on your lap/side and move cursor, you actually move hand around in the cockpit and operate the switches and buttons directly with your hand.

That arm movement is what makes huge immersion. You quickly learn many many things in cockpit why they are there etc. And you start to value far more every HOTAS system in modern aircrafts that why it is so important to have HOTAS instead F-14 kind where your hands are all over the place.

And it makes huge benefit for the controls management too, as you don't anymore add anything else to HOTAS than what belongs to there in the real thing (excluding FC3 modules). So you bind minimal thing to HOTAS and you operate everything else by the touch controllers. And you value far far more the whole cockpit as you need to think when you are going to take your hands off from throttle and stick.

It is like one of those things comparing TrackIR and VR, with the TrackIR you can look so easily around, look your six without any effort etc. But the immersion you get when you it in the cockpit using VR, the limitation that you can't check your six just so easily etc.

So the current problem is that you need to keep other controller on your lap where you can grab it as easily as you can grab a throttle.

And that is why I am waiting the next thing, VR gloves. Of course hand tracking is always better, but as long we get that we can use HOTAS and then just point and adjust elements in cockpits without grabbing any extra device, that is the next generation of virtual piloting.

So really, I can't anymore even consider any mouse to be used while flying. I don't use mouse at all in the DCS really.

I would recommend to everyone to consider using touch controllers, but Jar has a physical problem, he has the actual simpit, so he will be hitting hands often to that thing. So a real good VR cockpit is nothing else than a chair and HOTAS.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Fri13, I think you misunderstand me.

I know how good is using real hands in the cockpit and as you say the problem is placing controllers when you are using HOTAS. That is where my suggestion is going. JAR is using trackball placed near his right leg and he doesn't need to look where it is he just grabs it when he needs it too without looking because it is always on the same place memorized by muscles.

I'm exactly suggesting that stand for controllers so you can stick in when you don't need it and reach, grab, use and stick it back when you need it. That way will be always in the same position ready for use and easy grab.

doesn't matter did you have a full cockpit or just chair. This stands made from PVC pipes could be attached to the chair on the right spot suited for your personal preferences.

You can actually see the virtual hands controlled by the Rift S controllers in the cockpit. So you do not have to memorize where your controllers are because you just see them as black gloves in the virtual world.

I have tried using the controllers only once until now to try it out. I found it rather difficult to use them and frequently hit my desk with my hands, but I guess this is just a matter of rearranging my setup and training.

Edited by Waxi

Just a little ot if possible... how it is possible with the vr controllers to right click?

With many switches in the hornet i can do the left click action (example test A or left engine crank) but not the right click one..what am i missing?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

You can actually see the virtual hands controlled by the Rift S controllers in the cockpit. So you do not have to memorize where your controllers are because you just see them as black gloves in the virtual world.

I have tried using the controllers only once until now to try it out. I found it rather difficult to use them and frequently hit my desk with my hands, but I guess this is just a matter of rearranging my setup and training.

Yeah but its immersion breaking in the sense you have this phantom 3rd and 4th hand floating in the pit not connected to the body of the pilot in any way.

I've done it both ways, with the mouse and the controllers, and I just find the controllers to be clunky. You gotta pick it up and down, so really same as the mouse for me in terms of immersion, and more difficult to use. But thats my .02.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 month later...

Updated first post with a follow on video about Rift S..

Sry mistake in video had to fix, repost soon.

On the subject of controllers I expect they will be a lot better with the RIFT S tracking in my cockpit so I will have to check that out!

The immersion killing aspect was more when you have problems, as I mentioned my physical gear lever not matching the ingame position.

Edited by JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

Yeah but its immersion breaking in the sense you have this phantom 3rd and 4th hand floating in the pit not connected to the body of the pilot in any way.

I've done it both ways, with the mouse and the controllers, and I just find the controllers to be clunky. You gotta pick it up and down, so really same as the mouse for me in terms of immersion, and more difficult to use. But thats my .02.

Its not it is realistic.

a-hindu-deity-in-thailand-887774578-5c49e81cc9e77c00014f78de.jpg

For some of us, the use of controllers represents a better, more 'immersive' experience into operating the switches, knobs and buttons of the jet as compared to using a mouse or joystick keybinds. Personally, I like the way it approximates taking your hand off of the hotas and moving it over to the switch in the cockpit. The challenge of having to do that, invoking that pseudo-authentic feel, is precisely why I like it.

Thanks Jar, great video as usual.

I'm still 50/50 in deciding if I want to upgrade from CV1 to Rift S. Some people say it's the best upgrade ever but the others are close to sending it back and just sticking with the CV1.

I bet there's a lot of people like myself that are sitting on the fence waiting to see if they can fix the issues (like the white flash) with a software/firmware upgrade.

With the number of returns they have I'd also be concerned about buying one and getting somebody elses reject.

OK, fixed some errors and re-uploaded:

qUlDJ2wHFP4

Very useful - thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hi and thanks Savvy! The white flash is a very minor annoyance, it’s unusual and I’m interested to see what the fix will be but honestly it’s just an odd quirk that happens every now and then. It doesn’t ruin the experience for me in any way.

It seems every new product has the negative voices loudly proclaiming everything a disaster, I am just trying to show the real experience and give my honest feedback.

Just a little ot if possible... how it is possible with the vr controllers to right click?

With many switches in the hornet i can do the left click action (example test A or left engine crank) but not the right click one..what am i missing?

UI layer in the controls setup screen lets you map the left and right click to a controller.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]