Wheel Brakes - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #51
Erk104

I agree much easier... Thank you for the update Belsimtek
Erk104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #52
Why485

Bumping this thread because this is still a big sore point of the module for me.
Why485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #53
Veritech

Breaks work.
Just configure it properly and it'll do.

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel
Veritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #54
Veritech

Welcome to the expensive and bankrupcy-leading world of Flight Simulation.

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel
Veritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:30 AM   #55
The M

I put the brakes on a rotary and only use 1/3. Combined with the chute the F-5 is easy to land
The M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #56
drPhibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Reducing the braking capability to 1/3 has the same effect
Using a rotary switch doesn't exclude you from all MP servers with integrity checking...
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #57
klem

Quote:
Without pedals there's simply no way to 'configure it properly'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The M View Post
I put the brakes on a rotary and only use 1/3. Combined with the chute the F-5 is easy to land
Quote:
Reducing the braking capability to 1/3 has the same effect And with the new (low) thrust model I don't even need the chute
Even with toe brakes I rarely push more than 50-60% and then only gradually. I don't like the smell of burning rubber!

With a key/button all you can do is tap tap tap....

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo / i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz / 32Gb DDR4 RAM / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked / 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB storage / Windows 10 Home 64bit / 3 x 27" monitors @ 5760x1080 + 27" 1920x1080 in Tee format / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / TM Warthog Throttle and FA-18C grip, Virpil WarBRD base / LEA Extended Input Android controls / CH Controls Manager
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #58
Cgjunk2

Sorry for bringing back this thread from the dead. But I’m not sure if the wheel brakes are considered “fixed”. I bought the F5 a couple of weeks back and have noticed the ice rink behavior of the tires/brakes. Even when loaded up with stores, the tires dont grip enough to resist skidding when using the W key at taxi speeds. When going faster, the plane can be sliding sideways at speed without taking damage. IRL i would expect blown tires, collapsed gear etc, if you’re sliding sideways for 10s of meters with full stores.

I realize that the real plane may not have the best braking capacity, but I doubt an engineer would design a brake system that would so completely overwhelm the tires capacity to grip in perfect conditions. I dont think the problem is the lack of anti skid, as most planes are capable of braking firmly (once weight settles) without the activation of anti skid. In the case of this F5, the tires never seem to bite to any usable degree.

From a gameplay perspective, the W key is still not very usable, and I dont have an axis option. I realize it’s been 3 years since the last post, but hopefully brakes/tires will be looked at in the next update.
Cgjunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #59
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgjunk2 View Post
I bought the F5 a couple of weeks back and have noticed the ice rink behavior of the tires/brakes. Even when loaded up with stores, the tires dont grip enough to resist skidding when using the W key at taxi speeds. When going faster, the plane can be sliding sideways at speed without taking damage. IRL i would expect blown tires, collapsed gear etc, if you’re sliding sideways for 10s of meters with full stores.
I believe that you are having wrong expections about blown tires and collapsing landing gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9ZabBcmbY

That said, if you have only on/off brakes (like I do), slowing down the F-5 without drag chute isn't a nice experience.

edit: just tested and (at least) with the latest beta directional control with full braking has become noticeable better!

Last edited by bbrz; 11-10-2019 at 04:04 PM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote