Aim9P To cage or uncage - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
IvanK
ED Testers Team

Default Aim9P To cage or uncage

Interesting article from 1982 USAF Fighter Weapons Newsletter. Just posting here for interest

IvanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
diditopgun

Interesting !

Intel I7 8700K / EVGA GTX 1080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 10 64bits.
diditopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Stingray87

Indeed very interesting read! Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
mattebubben

Interesting read =).

And it also strengthened my Belief that the Aim-9P in DCS is very much under performing.

Since several times he said the Aim-9P had high maneuverability etc.

And this is very much not the case with the 1.5.4 state of the Aim-9P/P4 where its at Aim-9B levels of performance when it comes to maneuverability (and over all)

But then again hopefully that was fixed in the latest 2.0.3 update so it should be there in this Friday update.

Since the Aim-9P was not a bad missile (it was not the best missile for long but it was not a bad missile either).

And will also be interesting to play around with not caging the missile in the next update.

Since ATM with the bugged Seeker Lock FOV uncaging the seeker is more or less required to maintain any lock for more then a fraction of a second.
mattebubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Dino Might

Playing the F5 in 2.0 recently was AMAZING.

The AA1 pipper actually working and the missile FOV fixed with proper missile pipper alignment made the fights a lot more calculated and less guesswork/jerking on the stick.

I can't wait for the 1.5 fixes to go in (hopefully this Friday).

It seems all the heaters still need some fixing. I'm finding AIM-9Ms doing fairly poorly as well against only moderate maneuvering.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
ViFF

The F-4 pilot writes: It would be nice if we had a visual cue on the HUD that showed the pilot where the missile seeker is looking when uncaged, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until MPC hands you the keys to an F-15 or F-16 with AIM-9Ls before you have that luxury.

The things we take for granted!!! hmmm.....

Briliant article, thank you for sharing IvanK!

S!

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website
ViFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Stingray87

Default Aim9P To cage or uncage

I can confirm, that in 2.0 everything is way better. Just a joy to see the pipper snapping to a target in DG Mode and actually hitting without giving much lead.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
SUI - Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViFF View Post
The F-4 pilot writes: It would be nice if we had a visual cue on the HUD that showed the pilot where the missile seeker is looking when uncaged, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until MPC hands you the keys to an F-15 or F-16 with AIM-9Ls before you have that luxury.

The things we take for granted!!! hmmm.....

Briliant article, thank you for sharing IvanK!

S!
Actually I think the tiger's pipper should follow the uncaged seeker head. Thats what I had to test when I was weapons maintenance on the swiss F-5. Someone would stand outside, shine a torch into the seeker head and I had to sit in the cockpit, press uncage and see, if the pipper moves in the same way that the guy moves the torch (the IR signature of a torch is enough, from a lighter as well for that matter, but only up to about 20 meters). Now I dont know if the swiss version is that much different, but it doesn't have any different aiming system that the standard US one. So as far as I know, it should have a moving MSL pipper. (the guy in the article is talking about the F-4 not having that feature, right?)
I7 3770K, Asus GTX970, 16GB DDR3, 2x250GB Samsung SSD, 46Inch LG TV main Screen, 2x 24Inch Samsung secondary screens, Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Flight Rudder Peddals Pro, TrackIR 5
SUI - Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
ST0RM

I'm not getting the growl, only a blank sound, during lock. Noticed it last night.

Bug, or missing sound file? The missile tracks true though.

Great article. Thanks!

-Jeff
ST0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
Manuel_108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
I'm not getting the growl, only a blank sound, during lock. Noticed it last night.

Bug, or missing sound file? The missile tracks true though.

Great article. Thanks!

-Jeff
Could you maybe upload a youtube video?
Manuel_108 is offline   Reply With Quote