A Brand new hobby

Will JB

Just to start off, I'm nobody special at all. I'm 54 and I just joined back in August. I love to learn things and understand how and why they work. There is no boasting here in any way but I've been a self taught scratch golfer for years and I have learned all about the top Nascar sims. Learned how to set up a car from scratch for any track....not saying that it takes anything special to do either of those things but to learn and study this sim, all these different cockpits and each and every switch and knob is far beyond those other 2 goofy hobbies . I have loved every minute of it. I have a little understanding of what "modding" is from watching the guys in the nascar sim world creating stuff and messing around myself in 3dmax. I loved that sim world and not taking anything away from them but...........seeing the modding that goes on here is just plain sick. You guys are studs. I can't tell you guys how much I love this stuff and how I appreciate the time you put in so we can escape reality for minute or 2. Keep up the great work.

Most importantly, I being from the GREAT U.S. of A. want to thank every single member here of this Nation's great military for their TOTAL sacrifice that they have given for us here so we can even have such a hobby. YOU ARE TRUE HEROES.

Just to start off, I'm nobody special at all. I'm 54 and I just joined back in August. I love to learn things and understand how and why they work. There is no boasting here in any way but I've been a self taught scratch golfer for years and I have learned all about the top Nascar sims. Learned how to set up a car from scratch for any track....not saying that it takes anything special to do either of those things but to learn and study this sim, all these different cockpits and each and every switch and knob is far beyond those other 2 goofy hobbies . I have loved every minute of it. I have a little understanding of what "modding" is from watching the guys in the nascar sim world creating stuff and messing around myself in 3dmax. I loved that sim world and not taking anything away from them but...........seeing the modding that goes on here is just plain sick. You guys are studs. I can't tell you guys how much I love this stuff and how I appreciate the time you put in so we can escape reality for minute or 2. Keep up the great work.

Most importantly, I being from the GREAT U.S. of A. want to thank every single member here of this Nation's great military for their TOTAL sacrifice that they have given for us here so we can even have such a hobby. YOU ARE TRUE HEROES.

Glad you're enjoying it! Just wanted to say though this sim is mostly made in Russia by Russians. It's a very international community here so we try to keep our respective domestic politics out of things. Many real world battles are possible here that are still painful for some. For example the Falklands War will be simulated in the future and there are survivors from both sides of it in our community. That being said as an American veteran myself I appreciate the sentiment, we just do our best to leave nationalism out of it here.

Welcome to the community and have fun!

Jester totally understand. Just happened to be from USA. I would have said the same thing about any place I would have been from. All soldiers make great sacrifices. Main thing is that in my beliefs Christ loves everyone of us equally.

Welcome, strap in and enjoy the ride.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

There's an amazing amount of depth in DCS. Lots of different pathways to take.

Check out DCS Academy https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254647

I'm kind of a junior instructor there, it's pretty cool. Designed to simulate the training experience, starting off with what it would be like to take flying lessons through instrument certification, and then moving on to what it would be like to take military training in NTTR. The senior instructors have a lot of experience either in DCS, real world aviation or both. It's not so much a matter of pretending to be military aviators, we have people who have been there and done that. Main focus is building skills helpful in cooperative multiplayer. But it is cool getting a little tiny glimpse into the sort of challenges military aviators face; it's an opportunity to build an appreciation for the level of skill and professionalism those men and women bring to the table. Eye opening and humbling.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

There is a ton to learn but it take a lot of time.

:megalol: best comment ever

The crazy thing is, this is exactly what we love DCS for

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

I'm slowly trying to get a couple of co-workers into DCS. I say slowly because I'm not the type to stuff DCS down somebody's throat which could turn them off. One of them have already downloaded the sim and tested his system, but I think that's about it so far. Hopefully, they all come around soon. :)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals