TRIM: 'Default' & 'Central' mode are behaving identically

Lixma 06

Central mode should require the cyclic go back to neutral before accepting new input. But in the Ka-50 the instant you hit the trim button the helicopter starts piling on whatever input is currently receiving.

To test - ensure 'Central' mode is enabled in Ka-50 special options, start from ground or hover, pitch forward to increase speed, hit trim button at desired attitude - the aircraft immediately pitches even further forward.

In comparison the Mi-8's trim is behaving as advertised.

The Ka-50's 'central' trimmer mode seems to be an inadvertent copy of its 'default' option.

Edited by Lixma 06

• 2 months later...

same problem.. for what i've seen (and i feel a lot better the old way), keeping the trim pressed for a while releases the AP so you don't "fight it", and then when it's stabilised, i release it, and so AP continues guidance towards those channels i have engaged. Your trim is falsed by the action of the AP in your stick, so for example if you have altitude on, the aircraft will add power when it goes under the altitude brake, and release it when you reach it. this makes your nose go up and down, when you click and release the trim, Altitude AP is released so aircraft will pitch up or down, and when you re release the trim, all the channels will continue to force on you.

Not exactly sure if this is correct or not. but I hope i make sense.

use AP FD or simply trim it in small steps until you reach desired speed/altitude. trimming once in a while makes that thing a lot worse.

Yeah, this has been a bug for what seems "forever". Still not fixed. Central mode is WORTHLESS. The AP also seems to quickly build up a huge amount of errors. If you maneuver a lot, the helicopter seems to get this weird "torque" energy stored up, that eventually makes it impossible to hold, and it starts spinning around hard. It takes a while to wrestle it back under control, then I let go of the stick and hit trim a couple of times to try and reset it.

The Shark still has a lot of bugs. It needs a complete overhaul.

This is not a bug AFAIK. In the real ka-50 pilots repeatedly press the trim button while maneuvring, in order not to fight the AP. But if you do not have a FF cyclic like in the real helo, you have to press the trim button, keep it pressed until you are stable in the new attitude, then release it. If you just click, the AP stops working with its 20% authority in the exact moment you click, and that's why the heli "bumps". The only difference between standard and central mode is that standard mode stops to accept imputs for a short period of time after trim release, allowing you to re-center the cyclic in that period; while central mode does not accept new imputs until you center the stick. But this behaviuor is a game "trick" due to the fact that you have a cyclic with a spring and not a FF stick. With a FF stick you don't need either of these modes and you could use trim button both keeping it pressed or repeatedly clicking like in the real helo. But even with a FF stick if you maneuver without operating the trim and then click it, the heli bumps since the AP suddently stops to exert its 20% authority.

I don't have the mi-8, but in the huey for example you can just click the trim and there's no bump, but that's not related to the mode you use, it's just because the huey doesn't have an always working autopilot like the ka-50.

Edited by nessuno0505

This is not a bug AFAIK. In the real ka-50 pilots repeatedly press the trim button while maneuvring, in order not to fight the AP. But if you do not have a FF cyclic like in the real helo, you have to press the trim button, keep it pressed until you are stable in the new attitude, then release it. If you just click, the AP stops working with its 20% authority in the exact moment you click, and that's why the heli "bumps". The only difference between standard and central mode is that standard mode stops to accept imputs for a short period of time after trim release, allowing you to re-center the cyclic in that period; while central mode does not accept new imputs until you center the stick. But this behaviuor is a game "trick" due to the fact that you have a cyclic with a spring and not a FF stick. With a FF stick you don't need either of these modes and you could use trim button both keeping it pressed or repeatedly clicking like in the real helo. But even with a FF stick if you maneuver without operating the trim and then click it, the heli bumps since the AP suddently stops to exert its 20% authority.

I don't have the mi-8, but in the huey for example you can just click the trim and there's no bump, but that's not related to the mode you use, it's just because the huey doesn't have an always working autopilot like the ka-50.

I understand your reasoning....but....it never used to do this - 'Central mode' previously worked just like the Mi-8 and Huey - requiring you to center the stick before accepting any more input. That was the whole point of Central mode.

But now there's no difference between 'Default' and 'Central' - which makes me suspect it's a bug.

I was having problems too. But ever since I started holding down the trimmer button, moving the shark to where I wanted, stabilizing, and then releasing the trimmer button, it now works. I've noticed several times that when I didn't return the cyclic back to center again, it had no input until I did.

So, it looks like it doesn't work unless you use the "hold trimmer button down" method of trimming.