Alerax's LSO AI Script

Minor Bug:

You are using mm to inch conversion when converting QNH from pascals to inHg.

1 inHg = 3386.39 Pa = 33.8639 bar

Therefore

"c8N3yy4et1o0sOjO1UgWn4gnj" should be 1/33.8639 = 0.02953

HTH

Edited by mdhoover
spacing

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any progress on the script? I have been training with Bankler Case 1 training mission. I change times and weather and the carrier sometimes and I add other aircraft to fill the pattern. It really has helped me use Aleraxs script in my missions. Im looking forward to the script evolving and more added to it.

Thanks Alerax!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Hi.I would like to know if you can provide us with an estimate about when it is planned to have CASE II and III into the script.

I am asking this because in my virtual squadron we are running a naval campaing and we need to start with night operations. We are now into deciding if we do develope our own methods to deal with CASE III in multiplayer or if we wait for the script to have such function available. Would be great to have an time frame estimate for that, just to help us decide if it is better to wait or not.

Another question I have is if you plan to change the use of True north for Magnetic North on the script?

Thanks a lot for this awesome script!! It is really a game changer!!! :thumbup:

Actually, the current Case 3 approach and landing sequence in the script is correct a d functions fine. The work in progress seems to be the Case 3 Marshall Comms Stack. So select Case 3 in the menu and then follow the ICLS in to the 3 mile initial. You will be authorized to descend and when you pick up the ball then stop using ICLS and land. It isn't perfect but it does work fine. I fly completely moon less nights without much trouble. The view in VR needs major tweaking to do it beforehand, tho. Practice it in the daylight, then stormy weather, then night.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Hey All-

So sorry for the radio silence. It's been a crazy several weeks/months.

I finally got to the point where I can share the new updated Fast/Slow and Settle/Climb calls such that I'll upload the V2.3 this weekend. This will also include several additional bug fixes that have been mentioned in the post.

In addition, I really appreciate everyone who has helped answered questions as well (HighwaymanEd, Jabbers, Painter, and others who I'm sure I've missed).

As for the Case II/III release timing, this will have to wait until the holidays for any real progress. Just want to make sure I set the right expectations.

Thanks,

Alerax

I must point out that the comms-out procedure is called ziplip or Zip Lip, and not zip line.

Here's what the CNATRA CV Procédures publication has to say about it (regarding Case I) (emphasis is mine):

The majority of Case I operations are conducted “Zip Lip.” This means that radio calls in the pattern are neither required nor desired. However, in low-visibility situations, the following calls will be made:

i. Descending out of overhead holding to the initial: “405, commencing”

ii. Initial (3 NM astern): “405, initial”

iii. Entering the spin pattern (when applicable): “405, spinning”

iv. 90 degrees from initial when spinning: “405, spin 90”

v. Departing the landing pattern to re-enter port holding: “405, Departing _____ NM, upwind”

vi. Breaking: “405, breaking at X” where X is the DME

vii. Ball call, when rolling into the groove, and the pilot sees the ball: “405, Goshawk Ball, 2.2” where 2.2 is the fuel state

viii. Clara when the ball is not visible: “405, Clara”

During Zip Lip operations, the ball call will not be made. The LSO will acknowledge an implied ball call with a momentary flash of the cut lights (same as a “roger ball” call from the LSO) as the aircraft rolls into the groove. If the ball is not visible, a “clara” call will be made. At any time during Zip Lip operations, radio calls will be made for any safety of flight situations.

Note that the LSO is using visual signal to roger ball the aircraft. Although it is not said outright, it implies that the LSO does not make other calls as well. They also say later that cut lights can be used afterthat to mean "power", so once again, this implies no calls from the LSO.

I must point out that the comms-out procedure is called ziplip or Zip Lip, and not zip line.

Here's what the CNATRA CV Procédures publication has to say about it (regarding Case I) (emphasis is mine):

Note that the LSO is using visual signal to roger ball the aircraft. Although it is not said outright, it implies that the LSO does not make other calls as well. They also say later that cut lights can be used afterthat to mean "power", so once again, this implies no calls from the LSO.

You are right, zip lip not zip line, my bad, thanks for the correction.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Question regarding the script in multiplayer. We run a training server for our wing, and the script runs on it.

On a somewhat regular basis, the script stops responding to commands. It has been in use up to that point, but something happens (we can’t detect any one circumstance) and the only solution is to restart the server.

Have you guys run across anything like this in your sessions? Our server can be pretty populated, with 15 pilots coming in and out of the training server as time permits. We’ve had the script stop working with lots of people, and with few people. Sometimes it works fine with no issues.

I tried adding a trigger to reload the script after 1 hour, but all it did was duplicate the menu which won’t respond to commands. Any suggestions on this issue?

Question regarding the script in multiplayer. We run a training server for our wing, and the script runs on it.

On a somewhat regular basis, the script stops responding to commands. It has been in use up to that point, but something happens (we can’t detect any one circumstance) and the only solution is to restart the server.

Have you guys run across anything like this in your sessions? Our server can be pretty populated, with 15 pilots coming in and out of the training server as time permits. We’ve had the script stop working with lots of people, and with few people. Sometimes it works fine with no issues.

I tried adding a trigger to reload the script after 1 hour, but all it did was duplicate the menu which won’t respond to commands. Any suggestions on this issue?

I only saw this on the earlier version. Haven’t had a problem with latest version but then we also rarely get more than 4 people.

Just check the version you are running. Wish I could be more help.

I'm not sure the numbers for groove time used in your code Alerax, but some info from Greg Brett that you might (or might not) find useful:

<9 seconds: No Grade

9-11 seconds: Fair

12-21 seconds(15-18 is ideal): OK

22-24 seconds: Fair

>24 seconds: No Grade

I'm not sure the numbers for groove time used in your code Alerax, but some info from Greg Brett that you might (or might not) find useful:

<9 seconds: No Grade

9-11 seconds: Fair

12-21 seconds(15-18 is ideal): OK

22-24 seconds: Fair

>24 seconds: No Grade

AFAICT from the current code the groove time doesn't affect grading (though it is passed to the grading function)

It is used solely to average out the accumulated groove score over the time in groove

Alerax, I routinely have multiple carriers in a mission, Stennis, Bush, and Vinson plus the Tarawa. Is it possible to assign each carrier its own script so I can use it on each carrier as required?

I looked through the lua and I can not figure how you could make this script work in the first place, brilliant work!

What does it mean when It says carrier menu. When I hit f10 all I see is the map. Also is their a youtube video on how to install this and get it working to see if I did this right

It means - Comm Menu.. So on the Hornet Comm1 or Comm 2 you get the F1,f2,f3 etc menu's F10 is 'Other' which is what these type of scripts etc live under.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

What does it mean when It says carrier menu. When I hit f10 all I see is the map. Also is their a youtube video on how to install this and get it working to see if I did this right

It is the menu when you call ATC.

By default i believe it is the "" key and then you will see an option next to F10.

:thumbup:

Can someone confirm what we are meant to do in the below situation.

There were two of us flying approaches using the straight in option. I was cleared in and he was then given the “[tail number] Signal Delta, Request for Marshal” instruction.

What does he need to do from here? Do you have to go into the Marshal pattern or is it saying you are not cleared for anything and need to request again?

Alerax, is it possible to add an option where you launch and do a lap of the boat and get graded on the landing and the do it again? I know you can leave the hook up and do a Bolger but we like the whole actually trapping bit.

Thanks again, this script is amazing!

:joystick:

Great mod Alerax! Was wondering if you could export the pass information in a csv format rather than doc? This will make it much easier to use the data for database uploads. Sent you a private message with more details.

vCAPT Scott "LoVis" Gray

Chief of Naval Personnel

Virtual United States Navy - VUSN

vusn.org

If you always get a cut pass, you are not hitting the numbers. Where and when do you get it? Roll back a little from that point, and having studied the procedures and videos you will see what you're doing wrong.

Height, speed and distance from the carrier are all critical at certain points in the pattern. You will get a wave off if you are wide of the numbers, and you'll get a talk down if you hit them accurately enough.

Having confidence isn't quite the same as doing things by the book. We can all get down with a 1 wire, we can all screw up and yet trap despite that. The trouble is, what you see as OK is probably just dangerously outside the envelope for some small, but significant reason.

The difference between scraping through, or a by the numbers trap is in that minute detail, and that's what you need for a grading.

I also get a lot of cut pass. But I really Don't get why.

I never hear the LSO say Cut, so I don't know at which point I made a mistake.

Also the grading remarks look pretty good overall.

SO I don't get why I get a cut pass, on a fourth wire trap with minimal remarks ?

What are the condition that result in a cut pass ?

Also, does the script handle staying in the patern after a bolter ? After I bolter I climb to 600ft. and then turn left to1.2nm Abeam.

Then restart my turn into the groove, I never get LSO calls again. SO what should I do in that case ? reset and then request a straight in approach ?

My cut passes are always due to dropping at the ramp. If you are cutting the throttle at the ramp or pushing the stick forward to nose down, you will probably get a cut pass. From what I read, doing either of these in real life is a huge no no for carrier pilots.

;3717135']Can someone confirm what we are meant to do in the below situation.

There were two of us flying approaches using the straight in option. I was cleared in and he was then given the “[tail number] Signal Delta, Request for Marshal” instruction.

What does he need to do from here? Do you have to go into the Marshal pattern or is it saying you are not cleared for anything and need to request again?

Alerax, is it possible to add an option where you launch and do a lap of the boat and get graded on the landing and the do it again? I know you can leave the hook up and do a Bolger but we like the whole actually trapping bit.

Thanks again, this script is amazing!

:joystick:

In this scenario, yes, the second pilot should call into the pattern, either marshal or the regular pattern, but only one aircraft can enter a straight in at a time, the second will be denied.

Ideally, you should be in formation (within 250ft of each other), and call into Marshall as a section, that way you can then enter the landing pattern together and use standard procedure to get proper spacing at the break.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]