Mig-29 Study Sim?

GrislyAccord

Definitely +1 from me on early production variant Fulcrums, as well. 9.13(S) would be a dream.

Honestly my personal preference leans toward the earlier ones, but from a will it sell standpoint I think something more modern/advanced would be the way to go, especially for the MP crowd. It should fox3's and datalink of some kind to be competitive against the Blue gen4's. Plus there is no modern red ground attack either, so they kill 2 birds with one stone with modernized multirole mig/sukhoi.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes. Any version of MIG-29 or SU-27/30 Hi-fide with FOX3/datalink ability would be perfect.

Edited by Contact409

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

That's not particularly true at all. I reject the very concept that we need to start introducing aircraft to 'balance' sides or to find 'proper matches' for them.

How cool would it be if instead of introducing F-86 ED (or whoever worked on it) added F-80. They would have faced MiG-15bis as in reality, but would it be fun to play against a vastly superiour aircraft?

How cool would it be if instead of introducing F-86 ED (or whoever worked on it) added F-80. They would have faced MiG-15bis as in reality, but would it be fun to play against a vastly superiour aircraft?

It wouldn't be terrible necessarily. As far as AI go the MiG is vastly superior to the F-86 for a number of reasons already. If ED can fix those issues then flying an underdog could be fun as well.

Though point taken that sometimes you'd want to have something more even.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison already because the F-86 we have is a vastly newer model with more features and advantages than the ones that would have gone against the Mig-15.

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison already because the F-86 we have is a vastly newer model with more features and advantages than the ones that would have gone against the Mig-15.

This certainly isn't true, in DCS I take it we have an F-86F35 which in the air to air realm is exactly the same as the F-86F30 that did see combat with MiGs over Korea though most of the war was fought with Sabre Es

Yes. Any version of MIG-29 or SU-27/30 Hi-fide with FOX3/datalink ability would be perfect.

Agreed, the MP community has been clamoring for something like that for a loong time. For now the Jeff is fitting the bill, but its honestly kind-of a dog when compared to the F16 or F18, the main reason its doing well right now is because the F-teens aren't remotely done and missing a bunch of functionality right now.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well the "it won't sell that much" is BS in my opinion. Which Fighter is one of the most knowen modern RED-AIR-Fighter?......hm..... what could it be?.....hm.... Oh! I got it, a Mig-29!

Well technically the SU-27 is up there too, and most modern is the Su-57... But now we are picking nits.

It has the 6-3 wing and the AIM-9B can be restricted and there you have a Korean war Sabre, wouldn't change the fact its a better plane

But it's still not an even match; it's not even the same sabre. The one we have has far better features than the Mig-15.

The point to this I was trying to make is that we don't make planes in pairs or for fairness. Even the Sabre and the Mig-15; the closest and most evenly matched planes in DCS, favor the Sabre.

Well the "it won't sell that much" is BS in my opinion. Which Fighter is one of the most knowen modern RED-AIR-Fighter?......hm..... what could it be?.....hm.... Oh! I got it, a Mig-29!

I say it's BS as well, but that's because I'm selfish and don't care if people buy it or not. I want a Mig-29 study sim.

However I think it's kind of silly to think it'll be as successful as the modern NATO planes, especially when people start to realize how limited early Fulcrums really were in scope. It would be more feature restrictive than the Mirage 2000C is now. Only the more modern variants of Fulcrum would have the bells and whistles people would almost expect of a fourth gen multirole fighter.

Not that I care, I would buy it even if we got the Mig-29G "Monkey Model" that had a less powerful radar, no AA-10C capability, and no air to ground whatsoever. Only because I love this plane that much.

Edited by Auditor

But it's still not an even match; it's not even the same sabre. The one we have has far better features than the Mig-15.

The point to this I was trying to make is that we don't make planes in pairs or for fairness. Even the Sabre and the Mig-15; the closest and most evenly matched planes in DCS, favor the Sabre.

I think you will never have a truly "balanced" plane set in DCS because of course planes weren't "balanced" in real life, each plane was trying to be just a bit better than the next guys plane. So from that perspective its iterative.

That being said, in the broader context the Mig15 and F86 are at least of a similar era, even our franken saber is a bit "newer". If you don't like that matchup you can try the mig19 vs the F86...

But the overall point Is that the current plane set just has huge gaping holes of potential plausible adversaries. Really there are no actual Gen3 Blue fighters at the moment, we have the viggen which fits pretty well for a gen3/3+ striker though. When Razbam puts out the mig23 we will have the migs covered from the 50's to the 80's. With a franken F5 and Viggen to oppose them. And eventually another Gen3 blue striker with A7E, and probably down the road the A6. Yes I suppose the F14A does fit well into the 80's era, but its generally considered the first of the 4th gen fighters. And we do have the M2k but again its 4th gen from the 90's early 2000's.

On the modern side of the house, we have the 3 F-teens vs the JF17 right now, which really probably isn't all that realistic of an adversary for anyone.

I want a Mig-29 study sim.

However I think it's kind of silly to think it'll be as successful as the modern NATO planes, especially when people start to realize how limited early Fulcrums really were in scope. It would be more feature restrictive than the Mirage 2000C is now. Only the more modern variants of Fulcrum would have the bells and whistles people would almost expect of a fourth gen multirole fighter.

Not that I care, I would buy it even if we got the Mig-29G "Monkey Model" that had a less powerful radar, no AA-10C capability, and no air to ground whatsoever. Only because I love this plane that much.

I agree that what people really want out of a mig or sukhoi is something comparable to the F-teens. And there would be serious disappointment with an early model, though it would be decent opponent for the M2k, or maybe the F14 if it was able to survive the early phoenix volley. Really what I think is most desirable would be some limited production multirole mid to late 90's export mig/sukhoi to go up against the current crop of F-teens. And that I think would sell well if they can do it.

The other part of the problem with the early migs is that there is no datalink or GCI support for them to make them actually effective or to employ them vaguely realistically. I'm not holding my breath on the Lazur in the Mig23 but I'm hopeful they can kind of do something with it.

Its the sad nature of DCS that there these huge gaping functionality holes in the core game that really make some planes way OP or UP depending who you are talking about.

Eh... 2k20, AI. No, i was talking about MP

In a way that makes it better. Players at least can't perfectly read your speed (unless their plane allows them to, and even then it's only possible with a radar lock in current aircraft). When I did play online, I didn't mind using the Russian aircraft, which I can barely read the HUD in, against other players.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I say it's BS as well, but that's because I'm selfish and don't care if people buy it or not. I want a Mig-29 study sim.

AIM-9B and bombing computer aside the current sabre is a good stand in for the F-86F30s which flew in Korea

Leads me to my next point the community isn't asking for a 1 to 1 peer fighter necessarily, but a near peer type that would logically oppose what is in game now.

For the 1950s a MiG-15Bis or MiG-17A makes more sense as an adversary against a USAF F-86F of the era right its not as if the communist powers would chose to field exclusively older types like the La-7 or Yak-9.

So in order to better simulate a 2000s threat you need more 2000s red air

First they'd have to update the R-27 family (CFD it like the Sparrow).Adding a 77-1 could also be viable but that missiles is just way too new and too little is known about it. 29A/S and Flanker S/P are fine if done properly.

Hey folks!

I personally like modern western aircraft, but when it comes to love, the 70's and 80's brought out my most beloved ones (Viggen, Tomcat, F-5, MiG-29).

I would instantly buy a MiG-29 module if it was flyable in a quality like the current F-5 module. Robust module, good FPS, "finished", and "reliable" in terms of endless fun while playing (and not having 1000 annoying bugs that crash the sim while in MP with friends).

This is currently - on my machine - only possible with the F-5 and MiG-29 (both good FPS and not crashing the sim).

MiG-29 as radar guided interceptor with two powerful engines and good acceleration with a bad-ass looking design ... what more can I ask for :joystick:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

I will leave this here:

"Capt. Mike McCoy one of the 510th FS F-16 pilots that flew against JG 73 MiG-29s, the most impressive aspect of the Fulcrum’s performance for the American pilots was its low-speed maneuverability combined with its helmet mounted sight system. “In a low-speed fight, fighting the Fulcrum is similar to fighting an F-18 Hornet, but the Fulcrum has a thrust advantage over the Hornet. An F-18 can really crank its nose around if you get into a slow-speed fight, but it has to lose altitude to regain the energy, which allows us to get on top of them. The MiG has about the same nose authority at slow speeds, but it can regain energy much faster. Plus the MiG pilots have that forty five-degree cone in front of them into which they can fire an Archer and eat you up.”

Not currently the case in DCS... so we need Full Fidelity to truly get everything out of Fulcrum...

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

I will leave this here:

"Capt. Mike McCoy one of the 510th FS F-16 pilots that flew against JG 73 MiG-29s, the most impressive aspect of the Fulcrum’s performance for the American pilots was its low-speed maneuverability combined with its helmet mounted sight system. “In a low-speed fight, fighting the Fulcrum is similar to fighting an F-18 Hornet, but the Fulcrum has a thrust advantage over the Hornet. An F-18 can really crank its nose around if you get into a slow-speed fight, but it has to lose altitude to regain the energy, which allows us to get on top of them. The MiG has about the same nose authority at slow speeds, but it can regain energy much faster. Plus the MiG pilots have that forty five-degree cone in front of them into which they can fire an Archer and eat you up.”

Not currently the case in DCS... so we need Full Fidelity to truly get everything out of Fulcrum...

What do you mean not currently the case in DCS? You can do just about that in the current 29S.

Razbam seems to be the owners of anything 'Mig' - can only hope they will do one someday

Let's see.

Mig-15 by ED/BST

Mig-19 by Razbam plus Mig-23 WIP

Mig-21 by Magnitude 3 LLC

Mig-29 by ED

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Razbam seems to be the owners of anything 'Mig' - can only hope they will do one someday

Uh they have 1 mig… And another in the pipeline that seems fairly far out really. They are just doing the 3d modeling, to say nothing of the coding, though I'm gonna hold my tounge on that last bit. Frankly I think either Deka, HB or ED, would be my choices to make decent modern mig.