Disable and remove Caucasus

FistofZen

Is there a way to disable it and remove it (delete it to get space) without it being downloaded when updating the game? I know you can disable it in the module manager, but it will still get downloaded when you update the game.

Am I special?

Is there a way to disable it and remove it (delete it to get space) without it being downloaded when updating the game? I know you can disable it in the module manager, but it will still get downloaded when you update the game.

as far as I know there´s no way and why would one? That map comes for free with the free DCS World 2.5.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

If your main concern is SSD space and you have enough gbs for NTTR or Persian Gulf but not for Caucasus, then simply move the Caucasus map files to an internal hdd and symbolic link that folder to you SSD DCS installation folder. There is even a nifty tool up on github. I have been doing this for my mods folder for arma 3 for years now without issues as long as that hdd driver letter and folder structure stays the same. But its only one click in that aforementioned sym-linker if you change something about its path.

Here you go; https://github.com/amd989/Symlinker

If your main concern is SSD space and you have enough gbs for NTTR or Persian Gulf but not for Caucasus, then simply move the Caucasus map files to an internal hdd and symbolic link that folder to you SSD DCS installation folder. There is even a nifty tool up on github. I have been doing this for my mods folder for arma 3 for years now without issues as long as that hdd driver letter and folder structure stays the same. But its only one click in that aforementioned sym-linker if you change something about its path.

Here you go; https://github.com/amd989/Symlinker

Thanks. I have just moved the Caucasus to an HDD, not deleted. Will give it a try.

as far as I know there´s no way and why would one? That map comes for free with the free DCS World 2.5.

Space and I am flying only on PG.

Edited by FistofZen

Am I special?

Thanks. I have just moved the Caucasus to an HDD, not deleted. Will give it a try.

Space and I am flying only on PG.

yeah, sure thats your good right, but it might be that it´ll cause a larger update every time you update DCSW, The updater is verifying installed files prior to actually run the update, dont forget about it. I´m not that deep into all the technical details of the Updater, so I can´t say whether its possible to make the updater ignore the missing Caucasus files...just saying.

Apart from that I see no reason in deactivating caucasus just for the purpose of not having it. Except Discspace, but as I said above...

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

yeah, sure thats your good right, but it might be that it´ll cause a larger update every time you update DCSW, The updater is verifying installed files prior to actually run the update, dont forget about it. I´m not that deep into all the technical details of the Updater, so I can´t say whether its possible to make the updater ignore the missing Caucasus files...just saying.

Apart from that I see no reason in deactivating caucasus just for the purpose of not having it. Except Discspace, but as I said above...

Yeah, last update, I moved the Caucasus to make some space and the updater wanted to download it again.

Am I special?

Also this alternative, it's still being updated as of 2018

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

I did mention the idea of submodule manager for skins/liveries and stuff like that, quite some time ago, I think I wrote a big post right in the wishlist I think.

Here in one of the posts below .. "Livery Asset Manager" https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181882&highlight=livery

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria