Amber tint to front canopy?

TheThumper

I am new to the Su-27 and was enjoying a flight on the 104th server and noticed the view out the front of the canopy has an amber tint as compared to the view out the sides. I think amber tint is supposed to help with contrast, but does the real Su-27 have this feature? If so I find it very interesting.

Here is a quick video demonstrating what I was seeing:

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

In fairness it could be any one (or more) of a number of things:

1) Simulated aging of the canopy laminate. Laminates manufactured in the 60's - 80's do yellow gradually.

2) Some sort of conductive film designed to avoid increasing the frontal RCS of the aircraft from cockpit reflection.

3) Anti-icing film applied to the canopy.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

In fairness it could be any one (or more) of a number of things:

1) Simulated aging of the canopy laminate. Laminates manufactured in the 60's - 80's do yellow gradually.

2) Some sort of conductive film designed to avoid increasing the frontal RCS of the aircraft from cockpit reflection.

3) Anti-icing film applied to the canopy.

1) is the right answer I think. It is mentioned in the differences between J11 and SU27: "The windshield of J-11A improves the manufacturing process, solves the problem of Su-27's windshield turning yellow due to prolonged use."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the yellow tint is due to a conductive film applied to avoid RCS increase due to cockpit reflection, but I can't remember where or how long ago I read this, so I could be wrong.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the yellow tint is due to a conductive film applied to avoid RCS increase due to cockpit reflection, but I can't remember where or how long ago I read this, so I could be wrong.

I remember reading this is reference to the USN EA-6B, which looks cool as all get-out with gold tinted windows!

Similar canopy question, F-22

• 1 month later...

Looks like both clear and tinted options are available :-)

russian-knight-su-27-russia.jpg.36eb82a68d4dca862b4555f05053ef3d.jpg

real1.jpg.ec7e439bc58bd50cf8440cbc63612a3a.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember reading this is reference to the USN EA-6B, which looks cool as all get-out with gold tinted windows!

Similar canopy question, F-22

F-22 and E/A-6B Have Gold tinted Canopies to Reflect Radar Waves .

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs