Can we make the AI wingman fly closer in formation? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmansteve View Post
DCS Mission Editor Follow Task for AI Formation

1. Place your plane on airfield or in sky.
2. Create Waypoints for your flyable plane, not for AI.
3. Then Place AI close to Left and Right side of your plane or just to one side if preferred.
4. Then select your AI plane on Left or Right and select Advanced Waypoint Actions.
5. In the Menu on the left use: -
Type Perform Task
Action Follow
Number 1 Enabled
Group New Airplane Group

When I inserted the AI, I made sure they were as separate individuals.

Then select plane on left or right and use the example below for reference. This I tested with the AV8 Harrier.

Right Side

Distance: = -10ft Your X Axis. The minus data is to place the plane 10ft back from you. A normal number data = Ahead, A minus number data = Behind

Elevation: = 0ft Your Y Axis. This data is to place the plane above or below you. 0 = (Level). A normal number data = Higher, A minus number data = Lower

Interval: = 100ft Your Z Axis. This is to place the plane 100ft to the right of you. A normal number data = Right, A minus number data = Left

Left Side

Distance: = -10ft
Elevation: = 0ft
Interval: = -100ft

I have had the AI flying very close to me without crashing, but you will have to do some testing yourself to see what is OK for you. I tested the F18C, and I had to do some tweaking as when the planes got into formation, they suddenly were flying above me as they were too close. After giving them more space, all went fine.

Just remember, this is for formation flying and if you tell them to break, they might not come back as close as before. If there is something I've missed, just get in touch. Have Fun!!!!
I will for sure test it out tonight and keep you posted. Thanks tmansteve!
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #12
Bad_Karma-701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmansteve View Post
DCS Mission Editor Follow Task for AI Formation

1. Place your plane on airfield or in sky.
2. Create Waypoints for your flyable plane, not for AI.
3. Then Place AI close to Left and Right side of your plane or just to one side if preferred.
4. Then select your AI plane on Left or Right and select Advanced Waypoint Actions.
5. In the Menu on the left use: -
Type Perform Task
Action Follow
Number 1 Enabled
Group New Airplane Group

When I inserted the AI, I made sure they were as separate individuals.

Then select plane on left or right and use the example below for reference. This I tested with the AV8 Harrier.

Right Side

Distance: = -10ft Your X Axis. The minus data is to place the plane 10ft back from you. A normal number data = Ahead, A minus number data = Behind

Elevation: = 0ft Your Y Axis. This data is to place the plane above or below you. 0 = (Level). A normal number data = Higher, A minus number data = Lower

Interval: = 100ft Your Z Axis. This is to place the plane 100ft to the right of you. A normal number data = Right, A minus number data = Left

Left Side

Distance: = -10ft
Elevation: = 0ft
Interval: = -100ft

I have had the AI flying very close to me without crashing, but you will have to do some testing yourself to see what is OK for you. I tested the F18C, and I had to do some tweaking as when the planes got into formation, they suddenly were flying above me as they were too close. After giving them more space, all went fine.

Just remember, this is for formation flying and if you tell them to break, they might not come back as close as before. If there is something I've missed, just get in touch. Have Fun!!!!
Nice to Know thanks for the info, still wish you could do this on the fly though...
Old 10-13-2018, 02:03 AM   #13
Emmy

I don't think you can tell your wingman to break in this scenario because he's a separate flight.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
tmansteve

As soon as you tell them to break, then it will revert back. At least you have them flying with you as you would like. I am still looking into ideas but this is as good as it gets for now. Great for formation fly past as in display.

I dont think it would change even if it was a seperate flight. You never know what might happen yet

Last edited by tmansteve; 10-13-2018 at 08:59 AM.
tmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Mad_Max2

Finger four is the tightest formation I have found without altering anything else. If this isn't tight enough then you'll likely have to do something like what tmansteve suggests.
Mad_Max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #16
Rock Star of Rust

I fly the Av-8b Harrier. The default key "" brings up the on screen menu which includes "Flight" which includes "Close Group Formation" which will put wingman two on your right wing very close! The same menu will let you break wingman left or right, trail or etc. Hope this helps
Rock Star of Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #17
Frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star of Rust View Post
I fly the Av-8b Harrier. The default key "" brings up the on screen menu which includes "Flight" which includes "Close Group Formation" which will put wingman two on your right wing very close! The same menu will let you break wingman left or right, trail or etc. Hope this helps
Ho could it been that this is coded by the third party handling the plane code itself?! Because I am quite sure that this is not available for the F-5 striker!
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote