VR and 9 Line

capthaltli

One thing that I have found pretty immersion breaking is the need to copy the 9 Line coordinates while flying in VR (A-10C JTAC instructions).

Obviously one can try to peak through the nose gap and write down the coordinates, but I wanted to see if anyone has come up with a better way to do this and offer two suggestions since this will also be an issue with the upcoming F/A-18C.

One option is to capture the JTAC 9 Line instructions and display them via the built in Kneeboard, by creation of a new page. This new kneeboard page would have to be dynamic so it could change each time you get a new 9 line.

Another option, much harder probably to implement, is to create a virtual kneeboard/scratchpad you could write on using the Touch sensor as a Pen.

With the 9 Line and upcoming CASE III recovery instruction, having the ability to write down or get access to instructions one would write down will be helpful in VR.

Thoughts?

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

One option is to capture the JTAC 9 Line instructions and display them via the built in Kneeboard, by creation of a new page. This new kneeboard page would have to be dynamic so it could change each time you get a new 9 line. ...

Is this something that's user moddable, or would ED have to do it? Obviously, it would be better if ED integrated it.

Really only need 4, 6 and restrictions for BOC. 6 and restrictions for BOT (for gaming purposes). As said above, have your system ready to punch in the grids as the JTAC is passing it. For the A-10C at least (can't speak to other DCS aircraft), the JTAC also sends a J28.2 in the MSG window containing the 9-line.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

I feel like typing the line out on a keyboard I can't see would be more difficult than typing it into the CDU in game where I can see it...

I do like the knee board idea. Maybe with a key bind for writing the nine line so it doesn't just automatically happen.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I just saw the XPlane's native VR, and it's use of IPAD/GPS within VR was very cool. Getting it on something like that would solve a lot of issues.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just saw the XPlane's native VR, and it's use of IPAD/GPS within VR was very cool. Getting it on something like that would solve a lot of issues.

Any links that explain how they have it working?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Any links that explain how they have it working?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can see an example of its use here: (time is off about about 10 secs or so. So give it 10 secs and you'll see it)

PS: I guess it's very much like the kneeboard builder app.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

To handle lifting co-ordinates off a map in VR (Ka50 ' Garmin etc) or just to remember something by using a simple Voiceattack command running a cmd line sox.exe command. This records audio and plays it back.

Easy to configure, I have 3 commands...

"10 second record" - records whatever I say in 10 seconds... or a "20 second record"... times of course are easily changed.

The third command is playback... use as many times as necessary ... simples... recordings overwrite each other so these is no space issue..

Works well... might be useful if configured for your purposes.......

SIGBLOCK.png

Huh....that's a great idea. Like how cab drivers use voice recorders (well, before Uber, anyway) to record the pickup addresses.

Thanks, I'm off to sourceforge to give it a shot this weekend.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Think of something like this....

Run this application...

C:\Program Files (x86)\sox-14-4-2\sox.exe

with these parameters to record 10 seconds... (change the 10 for longer)

-t waveaudio −d "c:/rift-sox/test.wav" trim 0 10

and with this to playback...

"c:/rift-sox/test.wav" -t waveaudio

If in difficulties I can send it in a profile..

SIGBLOCK.png

One option is to capture the JTAC 9 Line instructions and display them via the built in Kneeboard, by creation of a new page. This new kneeboard page would have to be dynamic so it could change each time you get a new 9 line.

Thoughts?

I like this option. It keeps a great deal of authenticity in VR.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

In of a kneeboard page, how about the generic ability to scroll back through com messages. That would be a welcome upgrade that everyone could enjoy.

capthaltli viewpost.gif

Would you consider adding this to your original post as a third option?

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS