Tomcat Pilot Radar controls - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
ig002

Default Tomcat Pilot Radar controls

Hello,

I have a quite beginner question. I try to fire the Phoenix in BVR but I can't see the targets on my radar. I order Jester to Scan 100 Miles, that's OK but I can't see the targets on the front radar screen. If I switch to the back I see the targets and they are already locked. I switch back to the front and I see that Iecman has did something since I see the targets on the radar. Numbered nicely as it should be. I think I just should find a button to change the range shown on the front radar.

Can anyone enlight me what do I wrong?

Thanks!
ig002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
lunaticfringe

Right lower panel, put the HSD switch into the middle position, which is TID repeat.
lunaticfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
ig002

This I know. I was thinking that I can control the shown range independently from the RIO. The radar is operated by the RIO but the pilot can change the shown range separately. Probably it doesn't work like this but who knows.

Thanks anyways the reply.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig002 View Post
This I know. I was thinking that I can control the shown range independently from the RIO. The radar is operated by the RIO but the pilot can change the shown range separately. Probably it doesn't work like this but who knows.

Thanks anyways the reply.
Good question!

I often find the radar image on the HSD to be too cluttered to read clearly with a lot of things overlapping. It would be nice to change the range or be able to zoom in and separate things apart a bit.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
WOPR

You an control the radar with PLM and ACM controls. RIO controls everything else. The PTID is exactly that, a repeater. You see what the RIO sees. A Commodore 64 had more power than the CPU in the AWG-9. The compromises made were deliberate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
WOPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
Halcyon

You can add the following block of code to DCS/Mods/aircraft/F14/input/F-14B-Pilot/keyboard/default.lua and assign it to whatever you want from the front seat.

Code:
-- TID
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = -1.0, name = _('TID range: 25'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = -0.5, name = _('TID range: 50'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 0.0, name = _('TID range: 100'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 0.5, name = _('TID range: 200'), category = _('TID')},
{down = device_commands.TID_range_knob, cockpit_device_id=devices.TID, value_down = 1.0, name = _('TID range: 400'), category = _('TID')},
You can also do this with any of the code from the RIO default.lua. This is how people are able to control the LANTIRN from the pilot seat, as well as things like radar range and changing the TCS FOV.

Just keep in mind that Jester will often change the range knob after you try to manipulate it, and every time ED patches DCS you have to copy over the code again.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
QuiGon
Veteran

As WOPR already said, the TID display for the pilot is just a repeater that displays the RIOS TID to the pilot. The pilot has no input on it.

Also, the TID is not a radar screen!. It's a tactical information display that contains all sorts of information (radar contacts, data link information, navigation data), much like the Hornet's SA page. The radar screen is the DDD and is only available in the backseat.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Halcyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
the TID display for the pilot is just a repeater that displays the RIOS TID to the pilot. The pilot has no input on it.
I just explained how you can add that input above. While not realistic, neither is a RIO like Jester with limited commands.
Adding your own functionality lets you expand the scope of what you can do while flying solo.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I just explained how you can add that input above. While not realistic, neither is a RIO like Jester with limited commands.
Adding your own functionality lets you expand the scope of what you can do while flying solo.

I hope you can't do this in MP. I wish that stuff was totally locked out.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
ig002

Thanks Guys. I think I have understood how it works. I just have to tell Jester to change the scan range and the targets will appear or disappear. I will leave the system as it is. I would rather command Jester as in a real plane.

Thanks again.