Stores Management? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
Again, that's just yet another bespoke solution for a single airframe rather than a systemic fix to a systemic issue. It's not addressing the actual problem of having all these disparate solutions to setting up preflight options — it's really just making that problem worse.

It's actually kind of sad to see that they're wasting time on such a bad solution…

True, but it's same issue set: various preflight setup and setting steps that are seeping into inappropriate in-flight bits of interaction. Bomb setups, target setups, countermeasure setups, flight computer setups etc etc etc — they're all things that should be their own “set up the plane” step before you even get to the cockpit.

I'm not saying that the loadout screen might not be a good fit for squeezing in various weapon settings (there are more than just laser codes that really should go there), but imo that just suggests that the loadout screen itself is not really where it should be. It is yet another part of that pre-flight setup… ideally, it should also be hellalot more flexible in terms of how loadouts are built up, but that's a slightly tangential and far more deep-rooted issue.

There are so many things — and an increasing amount of them — that are stuck where they don't belong because of this missing pre-flight step, and if/when we ever get to that mythical era when there's a dynamic campaign, all these these things must also be changeable “live” and not contained in some main game settings menu. At some point, the guy in charge of tasking flights will have to be able to do (essentially) live mission editing while everything on the map is moving, while pilots picking up those tasks will have to be able to do live plane setup editing to match the tasks they're given.

This can't be handled solely though waypoint properties, the Special tab, or clumsy keyboard-riven kneemap fiddling. It needs its own, vastly expanded, real-time UI. Until then, replacing one bad set of bespoke solutions with another set of bad solutions that will at some point be ripped out anyway is just… pointless.
While I basically agree with you, such a solution would indeed require a lot of work. It would be a dream come true if we would actually get something like that eventually, but untill then I would be happy about a quick-fix solution that allows us to set the laser code in the reaming menu instead of having fantasy cockpit functions or kneeboard workarounds.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #22
RightStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
It would be a dream come true if we would actually get something like that eventually, but untill then I would be happy about a quick-fix solution that allows us to set the laser code in the reaming menu instead of having fantasy cockpit functions or kneeboard workarounds.
There are definitely more real bugs to fix than to take care about this game contraint.
And it won't be easy to fix as there will be other points in the line which have to be fixed as well.
JTAC. See some posts above. Always yelling for R/L on minor things isn't helpful for the big thing.
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #23
launchedsquid

How many of you have actually memorized the SMP codes? Do you even have them (I do, but the majority of players don't).
If we're not doing any other part of the exterior inspection then why focus on this part?
We don't set the gun safety switch, we don't check the arming lanyard on bombs, there is plenty we don't do, typing in SMP codes isn't something we need to add.

I do however agree we shouldn't be able to change our laser codes on the weapon in flight, I see why ED implemented that but I do agree that it should be set on the ground only, whether it's in the rearm dialog box (my preference) or on the kneeboard it doesn't matter.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #24
Airwolf466

I wouldn't necessarily call this a bug, but the TGP should mount on station 5, NOT 6
Old 09-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #25
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightStuff View Post
There are definitely more real bugs to fix than to take care about this game contraint.
And it won't be easy to fix as there will be other points in the line which have to be fixed as well.
JTAC. See some posts above. Always yelling for R/L on minor things isn't helpful for the big thing.
I never said this should be top priority, did I? I think it is still allowed though to talk about issues that are not as important as others...

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #26
Shimmergloom667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf466 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call this a bug, but the TGP should mount on station 5, NOT 6
That is nothing new, they said station 6 was only for the first iteration, station 5 will be enabled soon(tm)

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | Ka-50 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | UH-1H

Last edited by Shimmergloom667; 09-19-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Shimmergloom667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #27
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf466 View Post
The Marines normally put the Litening on the centre-line station:

backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
Hog_No32

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
The Marines normally put the Litening on the centre-line station:

Completely OT (sorry), but I never knew a Recce-Hornet was a thing. Or what is that thing under the nose for? Is that something only the Marines use? Can you easily swap it in and out (...it actually looks as bolted on like a near-permanent thing given that it appears to have non-standard special nose gear doors for this)?
Hog_No32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #29
RightStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I never said this should be top priority, did I? I think it is still allowed though to talk about issues that are not as important as others...
And it is still allowed to comment posts and giving an personal opinion what should be priority and what not, isn't it? Thanks.
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #30
launchedsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog_No32 View Post
Completely OT (sorry), but I never knew a Recce-Hornet was a thing. Or what is that thing under the nose for? Is that something only the Marines use? Can you easily swap it in and out (...it actually looks as bolted on like a near-permanent thing given that it appears to have non-standard special nose gear doors for this)?
Firstly sorry, I have no idea what that is but I know that even replaceable things like targeting pods generally stay on an airframe until it isn't viable anymore, the techs don't want to move them from plane to plane if they can just keep the same airframe in service with it.
They can be delicate and moving them risks damaging them, something like a recce pod like the one in the pic, even if it's replaceable, would likely remain with the airframe for the same reasons.

I suspect it's semi permanent because it probably takes the place of the radar, it will be interesting to find the true story though.

-EDIT-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...issance_System
It works with the Radar and replaces the gun.

Last edited by launchedsquid; 09-19-2019 at 11:52 PM.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote