Chuck's MiG-21bis Guide

Charly_Owl

• 3 months later...

Good guide but I noticed a few mistakes. I can't remember some of them but one I am certain of is you mentioned the "CENTER FUEL TANK" warning light as a sign your center fuel tank is empty. This is not actually the case.

You also list the external wing tanks twice I think on that warning light chart.

The center fuel tank light under the stick comes on when a center fuel tank is attached and remains on until it is jettisoned. Directly to the left of that light is one that says "FUEL PODS EMPTY A" or something. That's the one for the center fuel tank.

When the Fuel Pods Empty A light begins flickering/flashing your center fuel tank is low on fuel, (I think it's supposed to because it's almost empty and it's triggering the sensor on and off.) Once it stays on, your center fuel tank is completely empty and you should jettison it. After jettisoning, the "CENTER FUEL TANK" light should go out.

"FUEL PODS EMPTY W" light on the right side of the cockpit comes on when your wing tanks are empty.

Sorry if I'm being picky, but you also don't mention to put the landing gear in neutral position after raising it. (and I think you have to for lowering as well?) otherwise you'll leak compressed air or hydraulic fluid or something over time. (I think like in the UP position, it keeps trying to raise the gear even when it's fully retracted and locked in place, and over time that can cause pressure to drop.)

Aside from the small errors, it's a really good guide and I've printed out a few tables from it.

Edited by Toybasher

Sorry if I'm being picky, but you also don't mention to put the landing gear in neutral position after raising it. (and I think you have to for lowering as well?) otherwise you'll leak compressed air or hydraulic fluid or something over time. (I think like in the UP position, it keeps trying to raise the gear even when it's fully retracted and locked in place, and over time that can cause pressure to drop.)

Aside from the small errors, it's a really good guide and I've printed out a few tables from it.

AFAIK the brakes are applied to the wheels when the gear lever is in the UP position, which causes the loss of pressure. I've not seen any reason for why the gear lever should be in the NEUT position after being lowered. It was apparently the standard practise for the US 4477th test squadron's Mig-21s, but whether there exists a fundamental reason I'm not certain.

Sorry, just a tiny note of information. :)

Hi and thanks for a great guide.

However I have found some things that seems to be incorrect and I have a question as well.

First topic is the oil pressure light (Page 23). Isn’t this the “bomb armed” indicator? The oil pressure indicator is next to the engine rpm gauge.

Second is the SOD-57 emission indicator (“ATC RESP”), that is listed as an IFF indicator (Page 67).

Finally, there is a green light left of the SORC main warning light that seems to be undocumented (also in the LNS manual). Anyone know what this is and if it is simulated or not?

Greenlight.jpg.ea233decd91351681b590a85d4fb7912.jpg

Edited by BravoYankee4

• 6 months later...
What a lifesaver! I'm coming from FC3 and Il2 BoS/BoM to this and I was ready to send it back. This is so much better than the in game tutorial that keeps getting stuck in places.

I wonder if the in-game tutorials need to be updated since the switch to DCS 1.5. When I did them back when I first got the module (a little over a year ago), the tutorials worked fine. They would get "stuck", but only rarely.

I hope you enjoy the module! It has all sorts of fun things to explore. Even with some of the features not working properly, I just enjoy flying around in the thing and trying to land it in one piece.

One year ago everything was just fine, now looks challenging to keep modules working on the 1.5 and 2.0. Can't wait the merge also for that.

But those guides are amazing anyway and you can learn to land,navigation and gun dogfight waiting for the radar is back.

Fixed a couple of items based on recommendations. About the center fuel tank issue you'll have to point exactly where the mistake is... I couldn't find where.

I myself am confused sometimes with that.

Basically, below the stick there's a light that says "CENTER FUEL TANK". You list it as your guide as indicating when your center fuel tank is empty.

It simply tells you when you have a center fuel tank attached. When you jettison the tank the light goes out.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140754

The manual and this post explains it in more detail. It's really, really confusing.

When you're low on fuel in your center tank, the "FUEL PODS EMPTY W" light on the right side of the cockpit starts blinking/flickering. Once it's empty, the light will stay on. At this point eject your center tank.

When your wing tanks are low, the "FUEL PODS EMPTY A" light near the bottom of the stick (It's the one directly to the left of the "CENTER FUEL TANK" light) starts flashing. Once they're empty, it will stay on and you should eject the wing tanks.

Like I said, W = center tank, A = wing tanks. You have them mixed up.

Can you also update the section on jamming now that it was updated?

• 1 year later...

Just logged in to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS MAN.

As a complete newb who gave up and came back a few years later the official manual was a fragmented confusing mess, it just made me more confused.

This is so clear and concise, it explains everything in an easily comprehensible manner. So thanks a million dude.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Updated guide on 14/09/2019

-Added fuel management in the Engines section

-Updated cockpit description section

Now available with bookmarks!

Thank you, so many aircrafts and so little time .. currently I’m still deep into the Hornet, but will save this update in case I’m able to return to the fishbed soon :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks!

DLing Now!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 5 months later...
Why does Chucks guide show the opposite of what the manual and training missions show for which end of the RSBN needles are the front and rear?

It was changed, a needle was originally upside down. On page 114 in picture 2 (Chucks Guide) the thick needle would have to be turned 180°. The elongated hole is the needle tip and points to the desired heading. The thin needle points with the thin long tip to the RSBN / ARK transmitter. Both needles fit on top of each other and the other needle is clearly visible in the holes.

But at the moment there is a bug, the localizer steering cues in the KPP (yellow needles) and the localizer bars in the NPP are reversed. If they are to the right of the middle, you have to (currently) fly to the left. The right would be towards the needle. The same above and below, also wrong. RSBN / PRMG (ILS) at night and bad weather is currently not usable for the final approach.

Module: viel zu viele...

Warte auf: Fulda Gap, MiG-23, xy (4th. Gen RED) und mehr neue und alte Propeller wie P-38, Corsair, DC-3, Transall, Tucano usw.

Projekt: OpenFlightSchool -> Thread

Uh, that makes no sense because i've already confirmed that the end of the needle with the circle is the TAIL, and points AWAY from the desired heading. Also I've flown multiple ILS approaches and they worked as expected. Maybe you have it backwards?

• 1 month later...

NAVIGATION EXAMPLE PRMG LANDING page 122.

The pic nr1 in Chuck's guide is wrong, pic nr2 is how it should look like, "Thick needle" set to PRMG course.

Idea is to keep the "Thin needle" in the "Thick needle";).

1.png.2328e55a5a639871ec4e15b829a861d7.png

2.png.aadf959ad6d528b3cf96e7dd03d9ddb0.png

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

NAVIGATION EXAMPLE PRMG LANDING page 122.

The pic nr1 in Chuck's guide is wrong, pic nr2 is how it should look like, "Thick needle" set to PRMG course.

Idea is to keep the "Thin needle" in the "Thick needle";).

That`s it what I said, and the bug with the wrong localizer needles is fixed (Beta), thanks for the pic, that show it clearly.

Module: viel zu viele...

Warte auf: Fulda Gap, MiG-23, xy (4th. Gen RED) und mehr neue und alte Propeller wie P-38, Corsair, DC-3, Transall, Tucano usw.

Projekt: OpenFlightSchool -> Thread

• 1 year later...