Flaps Switch from STOL to Cruise Hangs at Auto

Captain Orso

I have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Throttle. I'm using the 3-way FLAPS switch for... well, flaps :)

Forward = Cruise

Middle = Auto

Aft = STOL

If I operate the switch at a slow speed, it always works perfectly; eg switch-pause-switch.

If flaps are on STOL is I push the switch straight through to Cruise, in-cockpit it never arrives at cruise; it always hangs at auto.

If I go into windows 10 -> Control Panel -> Throttle - HOTAS Warthog -> (right-click) Game controller settings -> Throttle - HOTAS Warthog -> Properties, pushing quickly from full aft to full forward works perfectly; eg jumps from button 22 on to button 23 on - no problem.

I also have the F/A-18C configured exactly the same, just progressing from up to half to full and back. If I push the switch through from one end to the other, it always just works - it never hangs.

Could you please have a look at this?

Thanks.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I get this, I think it's to do with the animation of the lever/switch moving.

In the f18 it doesn't appear to be animated. In the harrier there's an animation that if you try and cycle the switch before it's finished doing its animation it ignores the input.

Has cost me a few airframes on landing and taking off.

On the same throttle I did medium position - neutral, forward - flaps switch up, backward - flaps switch down (always I back to neutral so middle position after this). It works for me and in this situation is more flexible (differences position of switch in C&D, hot start ect). Just idea.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It may be that there is some reference to the speed of the animations influencing the reading of the switch state, and I know that if you push the switch one position and pause before I push further to the next position, that it works. I said that in the very first post.

The issue is that there are times when I need to change the setting NOW and not play patty-cakes with the switch because it doesn't work properly.

If RAZBAM has a problem with the animation not keeping up with the switch state, that's a RAZBAM problem, not mine, and I respectfully request to have the issue fixed.

Thank you.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I believe this was done on purpose, as its supposed to reflect the time it takes to switch over, I suspect you are using target or something, in which case maybe setup the software to pulse the movement again half a second later.

At the same time if can see the concern, and if there is a key bind to direct select STOL mode maybe it needs highlighting as an issue ( I seem to remember the default binds are only to move up or down a step)

It’s definitely a speed thing with the flap and water switches. Move them to quickly and it’ll stick in the middle position. Don’t have this issue on any three position switches in other modules. It doesn’t require a long pause between Auto and STOL (or the other way) but you can’t just flick it from cruise to STOL.

Best Regards,

Chaders.

It's "sticking" because the flaps switch is not being read and acted upon correctly.

I set the keyboard controls for Cruise-Auto-STOL to my arrow-down key and STOL-Auto-Cruise to my arrow-up key.

Using the keys to go from one extreme to the other (either direction), pressing as fast as I can, and it always works.

Only doing the same with the flaps switch doesn't work.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler